TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Poor Striping Job

owenkelley

I just saw my first GT500 today, and I gotta tell you the lemans stripes are horrible. Does everyone's look like this? I know there was already a thread here somewhere that mentioned this, but I can't believe they can't do a better job striping a $45-$50,000 car! The worst part is on the spoiler where the two seperate pieces meet up. I hope by the time my car gets built they've had enough complaints that they fix them! The only good thing I can see about the stripes being as poor as they are is that in 15 years people will walk up to them at car shows and say "Hey, that one has the original stripes on it, you can tell by how bad they look!" Kind of like the poor fitting fibreglass on the '67's, you know it's original and not replaced if it fits poorly! Other than the stripes however, the car was awesome! The paint finish was beautiful, the wheels are great, I'm still in love with the car, but really disappointed in the stripes.

I have seen 3 GT 500's in person in the last week and I looked the stripes over from front to back and did not find any air bubbles or problems at all, in fact they looked great. These were cars delivered in the last 2 weeks so maybe they're getting better. One was on a dealer lot with a $21,000 ADM. The stripes didn't look that great!

My stripes have a small rock(dust really) on the hood I found while waxing. BTW Zaino is sharp, a bear but sharp. I also had a piece of fuzz/hair on the inside edge of the right stripe on the trunk. I can't get it all the way out, w/o jacking up the stripe. Looks okay now after being washed at least a dozen times this month. The Mr. clean wash helps. My biggest problem is the overlapping of the stripes. looks like crap.

Even if stripes were available on the GT - I'd still have a local guy put them on. We have one here in town - he does the Go Fast Fountain boats and big trucks. If I go with tape stripes - he's the man.

Perhaps this will give others some pause before ordering the stripes from Ford.

That is amazing that the stripes on not being done correctly, especially on Ford's Flagship sports car. They know that everyone will be looking at these Shelbys...and nothing looks worse than sloppy stripes. I ran into the same problem with my '01 Vette...the rear tailpipes were not lined up from the factory (had the dealer fix them)...people do notice these things...quality control is obviously lacking here.

Hi Mark - we have another member in VA Beach - SGT500 - do some browsing on the threads - you'll find him! Scott is his name. No sense of humor - but I like him! The 3 of us need to gather up soon - perhaps in Elizabeth City?

Bryan

Archived