TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ShelbyDude & Others

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know ShelbyDude has been selling cars for a long time. And an honest guy at that. But I still think all the signs are that the GT500 prices are still going down. Even into summer. I still feel the 2009 GT500's will make the 2008 GT500's drop a bit more. And the 2007 GT500 still on the floor? I think the dealers are stuck with them. Most dealers way overpaid for them. So I think they will keep them on the floor as a personal toy of the owner as ShelbyDude said. Look for the deals this year with the leftover 2008 GT500's.

I don't know what will happen to the $40k-$50k SGT's? Who is going to buy a loaded SGT conv at those prices? You could pay a little bit more and get a GT500.

CaptDave

Hey Capt. Dave;

Correct me if I am wrong but seems to me from reading your posts;

Is that you will not be happy unless the Dealer "LOSES MONEY" on your GT500 purchase??????????????????

Hey Capt. Dave;

Is that you will not be happy unless the Dealer "LOSES MONEY" on your GT500 purchase??????????????????

Not this shiat again....Captain cheapo!! :hysterical::talkhand::banghead:

I know ShelbyDude has been selling cars for a long time. And an honest guy at that. But I still think all the signs are that the GT500 prices are still going down. Even into summer. I still feel the 2009 GT500's will make the 2008 GT500's drop a bit more. And the 2007 GT500 still on the floor? I think the dealers are stuck with them. Most dealers way overpaid for them. So I think they will keep them on the floor as a personal toy of the owner as ShelbyDude said. Look for the deals this year with the leftover 2008 GT500's.

I don't know what will happen to the $40k-$50k SGT's? Who is going to buy a loaded SGT conv at those prices? You could pay a little bit more and get a GT500.

CaptDave

What left overs???

Sales have picked up recently and remaining inventory is declining at good pace. Any left overs will be sitting at the dealers wanting high premiums. Even if those dealers come down it will only be to drop SOME of their mark up, not drop below MSRP.

In my "OPINION" you are taking a HUGE HUGE HUGE RISK in losing out on one at MSRP since you can find a few around here and there.

In my "OPINION" the ONLY thing that MIGHT help in the future to get one below that is "IF" Ford builds more for 2010 AND "IF" everyone wanting one really likes the 2010 look better. Of course with a new design and if the public likes it a lot like when this one came out that will likely have new premiums added as well. Probably not the $20k premiums we seen in the past, but they will be marked up. So dealers won't have to discount any 08 or 09 just to get rid of them. Buyers will still be around that want the 08 or 09 over the new design and with such a limited number left to be had they will pay to get it.

The best time to buy one of these is right NOW! I doubt it will get any better. But only time will tell for sure and the question is.....is it worth that RISK to save what....MAYBE another $1k or $2k off MSRP if you are LUCKY???

Whatever floats your boat! Makes no difference to me. I don't have any to sell and regardless of what anyone pays for one at another dealer doesn't put a dime in my pocket. I'm just telling my opinion.

CaptDave

2007's still left on the floor? Yeah, less than 80 coupes left. ((((WOW)))) That's a LOT! That is sure to cause prices to come down! :hysterical:

2007's still left on the floor? Yeah, less than 80 coupes left. ((((WOW)))) That's a LOT! That is sure to cause prices to come down! :hysterical:

And lot's of the 07 that are left, is because the DEALER's are keeping them for their selves

And lot's of the 07 that are left, is because the DEALER's are keeping them for their selves

Yep! And they are just floor planning them as long as they can without having to pay for it. We still have a 03 T-Bird on our floor plan the owner's wife drives. She loves it and refuses to give it up.

Some are also being driven as demos.

Hey Capt. Dave;

im all for trying to rip off the dealer...american way..if the retards can add 20kadm i sure can try an steal one...

im all for trying to rip off the dealer...american way..if the retards can add 20kadm i sure can try an steal one...

"RETARDS"????????? :hysterical:

I like that description;

:hysterical3: It all kinda makes sense now.......................................

ShelbyDude

Thanks to you I'm watching ebay everyday. There seems to be a drop in used 2007 GT500 prices. More and more used GT500 will be coming on the market. I know you think the 2008/09's will hold their price. I just don't see it. But I'm not a professional car salesman. That's your job. I will have to stick by what I have been saying. The GT500 prices are only going down. One of us is wrong about this. We will see.

CaptDave

Yesw,prices are going down....but, if you wait too long, pricecould jump up again......I bought a new conv white/red todayfor MSRP.

New ones may sit at MSRP for a while. I don't think anyone will have to pay over MSRP. But if the prices of the 2007's go into the $30k's I may hunt for a great used one. I really wanted a new one but if I can get $10k lower I may go used. I just started watching ebay everyday on the advise of ShelbyDude. Anyway congrats on your new GT500. That's one of the color combos I love.

CaptDave

ShelbyDude

Thanks to you I'm watching ebay everyday. There seems to be a drop in used 2007 GT500 prices. More and more used GT500 will be coming on the market. I know you think the 2008/09's will hold their price. I just don't see it. But I'm not a professional car salesman. That's your job. I will have to stick by what I have been saying. The GT500 prices are only going down. One of us is wrong about this. We will see.

CaptDave

What the used market does has nothing to do with the new market. New cars cost what they cost and there is nothing that can be done about that. Dealers are not going to sell these at a loss no matter what the market does. The ONLY way you would ever see better deals on new is if Ford slapped rebates on these and with the limited number left that is never going to happen! Ford won't even honor A/Z plan sales for their own employees! You think they are going to offer rebates to the public?

There just isn't enough out there to warrant any rebates or discounting these cars.

Now if Ford was building another 8k - 10k for 2009 then you MIGHT see some better deals to be had, but that isn't happening. They are only building this for 6 months for 09 models. Possibly less than six months since 09 production starts a week from today and so far Ford has not scheduled any 09 GT500's to be built yet nor have they announced anything about 09 production, allocation, or if they are charging dealers another fee again, or anything. So that means a late start on GT500 production which means even less will be built!

The ONLY thing that MIGHT cause to see a better deal to be had is "IF, AND ONLY, IF" Ford builds more for 2010 AND the general public really likes the new design a lot better where no one wants a 2009. THEN you MIGHT see a better deal, but don't count on it! There are always a lot of buyers that don't care for changwes and prefer the old designs over the new designs. In fact, I had two people last week say they plan to buy a 08 or 09 regular mustang because they don't like the new design from the pictures they seen.

Anyone that is in the market that really wants one and IF they can really afford it and passes on a MSRP deal is a fool!

Either they really can't afford it or they have their head buried so deep in the sand they are living in a fantasyland.

If you want one and can AFFORD one at MSRP then buy it while you can! Otherwise you will likely miss out and never get another shot at getting one for that price!

And again, even IF you were lucky enough to find a better deal than MSRP, just exactly how much do you really think that would be??? Do you REALLY think you will ever see one at INVOICE or BELOW???? Get real! This isn't a Focus or a V6 Mustang where they build 100's of thousands year after year! This is IT! What is left it is all there is and 09 will be more limited than the first two years and a lot of dealers may not even get a 09 to sell! If anything, the prices are going to go up again!

Also, once they are done with these, prices on used will only go up again as well! Used prices only drop when they keep producing. Once they are done they will start going up again because you can't buy them any more!

It happened with the Ford GT, it happened with the T-Bird, it will happen with this car. ESPECIALLY if they stop making high HP cars again because of the new laws being passed requiring more fuel efficient cars. Then watch what happens to the used market on these! It will sky rocket!!! :happy feet:

ShelbyDude

CaptDave

GREAT NEWS DAVE!!!!

You said you wanted a Red Coupe with White Stripes. Well I just checked and guess what???

There is a WHOPPING 250 Red Coupes with White Stripes left! 2008 models!

Out of all the GT500's you still have 250 chances left of getting the color you want! Of course if you are hung up on particular options then that will cut way down on your 250 choices left!

BTW, the RED and WHITE Coupes are the most popular colors made. Maybe that is why there are soooo many red coupes left!!! :hysterical:

So what do you think Dave? Still LOTS of time left to keep holding out for that invoice deal to pop up, eh? :hysterical3:

I don't know what your thinking is Dave, but based on only 250 red coupes with white stripes I'd have to say your odds are getting slimmer of finding one!

It's looking more and more like you will have to hope for a good deal to pop up on the used market because the new ones are going quick now!

My OPINION.....if you can find one for MSRP jump on it while you can!

ShelbyDude is right on the money with this one! I don't blame you for not wanting to pay an ADM. It bothered me also just on principle. ShelbyDude found my car for me and I bought it for MSRP at the end of January. I've been driving it everyday. I wouldn't pass on not having it this summer just to save a thousand or three. Even if you could buy the exact color and/or options next year at invoice, you're giving up another year of not enjoying it. Not worth it in my opinion.

ShelbyDude

CaptDave

You are wrong!

Looks like the price on used will start going up now that it is official and only 3,000 for 09 will be built and a lot of dealers will NOT get one this year!

You had better jump on one now if you still can because prices are about to go back up again!

To: All Ford Dealers

Subject: EFC0200630DC 2009MY Shelby GT500 & GT500KR Dealer Certification Program

Summary:

We are excited to announce the return of the Shelby GT500 and GT500KR for the 2009 Model Year. Please review this communication for information regarding allocation and enrollment in the 2009MY program.

Allocation:

As a result of the abbreviated Model Year for 2009, production of the GT500 and GT500KR will be limited. Estimated US volumes for the 2009 Shelby GT500 are approximately 3000 units and are approximately 571 units for the 2009MY Shelby GT500KR. As a result, we will be unable to provide allocation to every dealership in the program.

Dealerships must be in compliance with all terms and conditions described in the Ford Sales & Service Agreement in order to be eligible for allocation.

Vehicle allocation plans are detailed below:

2009MY Shelby GT500

Dealerships will earn allocation based on a Share of Nation calculation utilizing 2007MY Mustang sales.

2009MY Shelby GT500KR

Dealerships that sold 2007MY retail Mustangs will be entered in to a random draw lottery, similar to the lottery held for 2008MY Mustang GT500KR allocation.

As a reminder, here are the details of the lottery process:

Each Region will earn allocation based on the Region's share of 2007MY retail Mustang sales. All 18 Regions (17 Contact and 1 Select) will earn allocation.

Dealerships will be provided "dealer chips" to be entered into a random draw lottery, with each dealer's chip amount representing the dealerships' share of their respective Region's retail Mustang sales (see example below).

Dealerships in the Select Dealer Region will be entered in to the Select Dealer Region drawing and not in to their facing Contact Region's drawing

Example:

Region A earns 10% of the Shelby GT500s based on their 2007MY retail sales.

Dealer ABC, who sold 5% of Region A's 2007MY retail Mustangs would then receive 5% of the total "dealer chips" allocated for Region A's Random draw lottery.

Additionally, a few lucky dealers were awarded allocation through the random draw lottery held in Las Vegas at the 2008 One Ford Dealer Show in April.

Dealership Enrollment

Currently enrolled Shelby dealerships will be automatically enrolled for the 2009MY program.

No action is necessary for these dealerships that wish to remain in the 2009MY Shelby GT500 program

An enrollment fee of $750 will be charged to the dealerships parts statement for all dealers who receive allocation. This enrollment fee will be charged after the final allocation for the 2009MY is determined.

For dealerships currently enrolled in the program that wish to cancel their enrollment, please fax in the attached cancellation form by 5/30/08

Training Requirements:

Sales certification will remain a requirement for this program. Both of the Ford Retailer Education & Training exam below must be completed by one or more of the dealer's sales staff.

Mustang (Exam Code – 3300) 30 question test

Shelby GT500 (Exam Code – 3368)* 23 question test

Sales consultants can access these product knowledge tests from their personalized certification planners in STARS2 or from FMC Dealer, by clicking on Training & Recognition, My Training, Online testing and then Product Exams, Test out Exams, and Post tests.

*This test is not required for Ford Retailer Education & Training Sales Certification, but is required for Shelby GT500 & GT500KR allocation.

I just don't see people standing in line for a 2009 GT500. The 2008's are selling for below MSRP. Ebay is not getting any takers at MSRP anymore. And the used 2007's are starting to hit the market. No one seems to be jumping on them with the prices in the $40k's. Even with many upgrades. People who have to sell their 2007 GT500's will be selling in the $30k's not $40k's this summer. So I just can't figure out why anyone would pay over sticker for a 2009?

CaptDave

I just don't see people standing in line for a 2009 GT500. The 2008's are selling for below MSRP. Ebay is not getting any takers at MSRP anymore. And the used 2007's are starting to hit the market. No one seems to be jumping on them with the prices in the $40k's. Even with many upgrades. People who have to sell their 2007 GT500's will be selling in the $30k's not $40k's this summer. So I just can't figure out why anyone would pay over sticker for a 2009?

CaptDave

You said earlier that the 09 was going to be "the best" of all the GT500s. With only 3K of the "BEST" being built why wouldnt someone pay over MSRP for it? Over the last week I have had locators calling me offering GT500s for 500 to 1000 back of MSRP. It will be interesting to see what happens from dealer to dealer. If they start going back to MSRP or above between dealers then the ADM will go back on the cars. We will all see in the next week or so.

michael morris

CaptDave

3000 cars and a population of how many! Thats not much to go around...besides, there are plenty of wealthy people around who don't care, will lay down $$$ whatever it takes because this kind of purchase is emotional, not rational (except for you CaptDave), and if its sitting there on the floor, brand new, and they have the dough....

Sure, there are always deals to be had if you want to spend the time and do the research. BUT, most people don't.

There are less than 200 2007's left and most of those are likely cars that were bought from other dealers at a premium or could be cars the dealer is keeping or even driving. They just haven't paid for them and choose to floorplan them for as long as they can before having to pay for it. So finding a deal below MSRP is probably unlikely. Plus it IS the 40th production year which may not mean anything to some, but for some it might.

The 08's are starting to thin out. 75% of 08 production has been sold (assuming 8,000 was the number built, but knowing Ford they probably built 9000+ and haven't released actual production numbers yet)

This is summer which is PRIME buying season for cars like this. So the deals may only get harder to find now. Any deal at MSRP I would be all over it if I were looking for one. As the end of the GT500 nears prices will likely creep up again as inventory falls off.

2009 is going to be a VERY SHORT run. Only 8 months of production and that doesn't include any plant shut down time. Over the holiday at least two weeks of down time which leaves 7 1/2 months of total production for 2009, minus any other down time. So how many can they build in 7 1/2 months? They can only build abpout 40 engines per day, so what does that leave you with?

My GUESS is 2009 will only produce 3k - 4k GT500's with a max up to 6,000 with only 7 1/2 months of production.

This could also result in a lot of dealers not getting a 2009 which means the bigger dealers will get most of these and most of those dealers are the ones that hold out for the premiums.

So again, if you can find one now for MSRP I would be all over it!

As 5/3/08 here is what is left of 2008 GT500's:

GT500 Coupes remaining:

369 = Performance White

342 = Torch Red

276 = Ebony

231 = Vapor

168 = Vista Blue

60 = Alloy

47 = Grabber Orange

=====================

GT500 Covertibles remaining:

197 = Ebony

143 = Torch Red

102 = Performance White

71 = Vapor

26 = Vista Blue

16 = Alloy

12 = Grabber Orange

======================

So if you are hung up on a specific color that is what you have left to choose from.

Also remember, last year at this time these were selling fast at $10K which was the low end at that time on most of them. Now with many at MSRP - $5k over these are selling just as good and with summer here they will likely sell faster as long as people are finding them at MSRP or slightly over.

Another RUMOR I heard that supposedly came from a higher up at Ford told to a dealer by that person is they are not building a GT500 for 2010. Whether that is true or not I don't know. Just what I heard.

The other thing to remember is the fun and joy of these cars is being able to DRIVE THEM! So for those that live in areas where you can't drive them during winter months, is it really worth the gamble of holding out until winter again in HOPES of finding one below MSRP and missing another summer of being able to drive one just to save MAYBE an extra $1k or $2k bucks??? Even IF you got lucky to find one for less than MSRP how much less do you really think that will be? Is that worth missing another entire summer of fun and enjoyment being able to drive this car?

It gets to a point where you start chasing after what I call STUPID MONEY! I don't know about you, but I can't think of anything that $1k - $2k could buy me for an entire summer of being able to have this much fun and enjoyment, can you?

My OPINION.....if you can find one for MSRP jump on it while you can!

Thanks for the build info for the 2008's

Do you have the total number of units built?

Interested in the color Vapor...

Thanks Vapor

CaptDave

Dave, you just don't know what you are talking about. You take a small FEW that sold with no reserve and someone got LUCKY to get it under MSRP and you assume this means NONE are selling for MSRP and they are ALL selling for less. BS! MOST are still selling over MSRP. SOME are selling at MSRP. VERY FEW have sold for under MSRP.

And guess what dealers are still selling for over MSRP??? Yep, the ones that will end up getting most of the 09's coming out! The smaller dealers that would be willing to sell for MSRP won't be getting one! Maybe one here and there, but they will be far and few between the majority of the dealers that get these that mark them up.

This is like LAST CALL for those that are still sitting on the fence. Prices are going to go up again. Those who snooze will lose.

Thanks for the build info for the 2008's

Do you have the total number of units built?

Interested in the color Vapor...

Thanks Vapor

No, I don't have a total. They will release that in about two months or so.

I have a Vapor coming. Assuming the dealer I am buying this from doesn't freak and hang onto it now that Ford has announced the production number for 09.

I had to take several of their F-150's to get it.

No, I don't have a total. They will release that in about two months or so.

I have a Vapor coming. Assuming the dealer I am buying this from doesn't freak and hang onto it now that Ford has announced the production number for 09.

I had to take several of their F-150's to get it.

Hi there shelby dude I was at a car show yesterday and two dealers told me low mileage cars 60- 100 miles were going 60,000 - 70,000 the 08 were 70,000. I was impress most cars down south went for msrp,but due to low 09 production thing have changed some what. This guy next to me had two cars 07 with all plastic on in handles etc. 8 miles on it .The 08 had 4 miles all plastic on also big collector. But when he ask me about the strut brace, I said that a shame you have two and don't know if they came like that that a shame.

Hi there shelby dude I was at a car show yesterday and two dealers told me low mileage cars 60- 100 miles were going 60,000 - 70,000 the 08 were 70,000. I was impress most cars down south went for msrp,but due to low 09 production thing have changed some what. This guy next to me had two cars 07 with all plastic on in handles etc. 8 miles on it .The 08 had 4 miles all plastic on also big collector. But when he ask me about the strut brace, I said that a shame you have two and don't know if they came like that that a shame.

It's been over a year since I have seen any bring $60k +

Dealers are still getting a premium in some markets, but it ain't close to $60k even on a new one!

They are blowing smoke!

Now that Ford has announced the plan for 09 I suspect the premiums will jump up again, but I doubt they will hit $60k + again. Only time will tell for sure.

<snip>

Allocation:

As a result of the abbreviated Model Year for 2009, production of the GT500 and GT500KR will be limited. Estimated US volumes for the 2009 Shelby GT500 are approximately 3000 units and are approximately 571 units for the 2009MY Shelby GT500KR. As a result, we will be unable to provide allocation to every dealership in the program.

Dealerships must be in compliance with all terms and conditions described in the Ford Sales & Service Agreement in order to be eligible for allocation.

<snip>

First post... I apologize in advance if I do something wrong...

ShelbyDude, I've enjoyed reading your posts over the last month or so and the insight you have provided. How long do you expect the allocation process to take? I've "ordered" an 09, realizing it may not happen of course. When would my local Ford dealer find out if he received an allocation?

Thanks!

First post... I apologize in advance if I do something wrong...

ShelbyDude, I've enjoyed reading your posts over the last month or so and the insight you have provided. How long do you expect the allocation process to take? I've "ordered" an 09, realizing it may not happen of course. When would my local Ford dealer find out if he received an allocation?

Thanks!

Good question. Ford hasn't told us yet. I imagine they will start giving allocation right away since 09 starts tomorrow. Whether they give it all at once or spread it over the next 8 months I couldn't say. If they spread it out over the next 8 months it would depend on what month the dealer will get their allocation. Usually we knew about 2 - 3 months ahead of time, but who knows how Ford is doing it this time around.

Good question. Ford hasn't told us yet. I imagine they will start giving allocation right away since 09 starts tomorrow. Whether they give it all at once or spread it over the next 8 months I couldn't say. If they spread it out over the next 8 months it would depend on what month the dealer will get their allocation. Usually we knew about 2 - 3 months ahead of time, but who knows how Ford is doing it this time around.

Guys, I have Three GT500 VERTS $500 OFF MSRP! White- Vapor-Vista Blue

The cars are in CA. I need to move them! I have SGT for inv. 07 Saleen's below inv.

Tom Glockner

Just wanted to chime in here. Ebay is a small percentage of the entire market for GT500's. Only a tiny fraction of the GT500's being sold go through Ebay. Only a tiny fraction of the buyers for GT500's are looking on Ebay. Trying to guage the market for GT500's from Ebay is not a very valid measurement, IMO.

That said, we continue to sell each and every new GT500 we get for more than MSRP, and we do it quickly. Sure, the ADM's have shrunk dramatically since the fall or '06, but we continue to sell new GT500's easily for a couple grand over MSRP within a couple days of arrival without using Ebay. Just sold our last '08 GT500 a couple days ago that was fresh off the truck from Ford. MSRP was $47K and we sold it for $50K. Sold the one before that for the same money about a month ago. We received 6 in '07, 5 in '08, and with the reduced production for '09, suspect we'll only get 1 or 2 more on this body style.

I firmly believe, based on the reality of what we're still getting here, that the '09's will bring above MSRP around here. Nationwide may be different (perhaps MSRP deals scattered around out there?), but demand is still higher than supply for the most part. Sure, some dealers have some that have been sitting collecting dust, but the vast majority of dealers are sold out.

Archived