TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs Roush 428R vs P. Jones opinions please

magrag

While I have been waiting on my GT500 to come in May 14 (now they say May21) I decided to do a little shopping and compairing

So Saturday I tried out a Roush 428R WOW very nice much power compaired to my non supercharged Roush and the deal was real good. Price was invoice minus $1500 rebate. About $40,500 + tax.

But how does it match up to a GT500???? Please help I have not yet driven a GT500!!!!

So today I go to the dealer where the GT500 is ordered and try out a P. Jones Mustang.

No comapirson was way down on power , but really nice price is $50,000.

So the P. Jones is out for sure , but what about the 428R????

How do you guys think a 428R stands up to GT500????

Dealer is selling GT500 at MSRP.

Any opinions , advise or other is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

I own a GT500, but prior to buying it I was seriously close to buying a 428R. I test drove it about 6 times, and loved everything about it. The 428R has a real kick to it when you get on the gas, like, you KNOW you are hauling ass, but it almost feels like it peters out towards the higher end of the power band. The GT500, I nail it, I see the speedometer move almost as fast as the tach, yet it is such a silky smooth power, and the power band feels so damn broad on it. Personally, for handling I like the Roush better...but for sheer power, finesse of that power, and straight up sexiness, the GT500 takes the prize hands down. I also never shopped for GT500s while I was shopping the Roush's, because I thought it was out of my reach price range (stupid ADM), until I learned otherwise, and I forgot all about the Roush ;)

The only Roush I still wish I could get my hands on right now would be the P-51A. Sexy.

I own a GT500, but prior to buying it I was seriously close to buying a 428R. I test drove it about 6 times, and loved everything about it. The 428R has a real kick to it when you get on the gas, like, you KNOW you are hauling ass, but it almost feels like it peters out towards the higher end of the power band. The GT500, I nail it, I see the speedometer move almost as fast as the tach, yet it is such a silky smooth power, and the power band feels so damn broad on it. Personally, for handling I like the Roush better...but for sheer power, finesse of that power, and straight up sexiness, the GT500 takes the prize hands down. I also never shopped for GT500s while I was shopping the Roush's, because I thought it was out of my reach price range (stupid ADM), until I learned otherwise, and I forgot all about the Roush ;)

The only Roush I still wish I could get my hands on right now would be the P-51A. Sexy.

What kind of price tag does that P-51A have?

I wouldn't mind one of those and the Saleen Extreme, but of all these I take the GT500 hands down!

Exactly! If I won the lotto, i'd have both, but if it came down to owning the P-51 AND the GT500, or just getting the SS upgrade, i'd take the SS, especially after seeing a Vapor/Black SS.....ohhh so sick.

If I won the lotto I would have one in every color! :hysterical:

First off, I think the PJ will be a collector car for the most part (only 500 made?). So if you're looking for a DD, I'd toss the PJ.

Personally, I think the GT500 is the best option (@ MSRP). The 427R has a blown 4.6L making about 435HP at the flywheel, vs. the GT500's blown and forged 5.4L (mine made 438HP stock at the wheels). The 427R has better suspension, but that can be fixed on the GT500 for less than $1500 (if you do your shopping). As far as looks go, the GT500 takes the cake. I actually liked the Roush body kits when they first came out, but they're looking more and more "import" to me.

For the price and what you get, the Roush actually is a decent deal. But you're close to the limit as far as power on the stock 4.6 block. Then you've got the GT500 for a few grand more, and you're only beginning to unleash the power. Out of the box, the GT500 has far more potential. I guess it all comes down to what plans you have for the car.

First off, I think the PJ will be a collector car for the most part (only 500 made?). So if you're looking for a DD, I'd toss the PJ.

Personally, I think the GT500 is the best option (@ MSRP). The 427R has a blown 4.6L making about 435HP at the flywheel, vs. the GT500's blown and forged 5.4L (mine made 438HP stock at the wheels). The 427R has better suspension, but that can be fixed on the GT500 for less than $1500 (if you do your shopping). As far as looks go, the GT500 takes the cake. I actually liked the Roush body kits when they first came out, but they're looking more and more "import" to me.

For the price and what you get, the Roush actually is a decent deal. But you're close to the limit as far as power on the stock 4.6 block. Then you've got the GT500 for a few grand more, and you're only beginning to unleash the power. Out of the box, the GT500 has far more potential. I guess it all comes down to what plans you have for the car.

I vote GT500, I was at an SVT show this weekend with our Bullitt and was checking all the vortech,whipple,k-b, and eaton supercharged stangs there. Most (none) didn't have a clue that you could take 1/2 hour to 1 hour and bump the GT500 up to over 600 rwhp . The 5.4 to date I have have to say is the most incredible "stock" engine ever made.......Period!......"In my opinion" And the rest of the car is really nice as well! :hysterical:

Yep, same exact story here. My response would be the same basically word for word.

GT 500 alllll the WAY!!!! the Roush is really neat and sounds great, but for the buck, the 500 has so much more to offer. I also had an 03 Term. the potential in that car was far more than in the Roush. The stock 5.4 is just the best combo to start with. and as was said above for just a few bucks the handleing on the 500 will as good as the Roush.

-my opinion-

mike

Well I own a 2007 427R and a 2008 Shelby GT500.

Interior- Shelby

Exterior - Tied

Handling - Roush

Exhaust Sound - Roush

Motor - Shelby

Transmission - Shelby

Modifications - Shelby

Like someone stated, about $1800, the Shelby will handle like the Roush, in my opinion, maybe a little better.

When i was looking for this most recent muscle car purchase , I faced the same problems as most of you guys. Shelby or Roush or Saleen.

At the time i was ready to purchase i almost pulled the trigger on the Roush 428R a very awesom car. But then i started thinking ; GT500 is easily fixed as previously stated in this thread with suspension mods. And Then the Awesome Hi-Revin ; Blown 5.4 modular ; easily one of the best modular motors ever made and it's Tunability as we all know is Huge and much greater then the 3 valve Roush n Saleen.

In the end it was one thing and one thing only that made my final decision And What it was ; has been the Longest Standing Rule among the greast and most valuable Muscle Cars and Super Cars ; and that Rule is and will always be HORSEPOWER !!!!!!!

Archived