TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Well, after the hood n stripes are taken care of, I'm thinking that next will be the Borla Cat-Back Turbo exhaust.......

I'd appreciate it if anybody have any opinions on this........

I'm assuming that this would be an upgrade from the stock exhaust..........

so as you can tell...I'm not very...um.....up on the performance part of all this....but I'm learning...lol

:)

Well, after the hood n stripes are taken care of, I'm thinking that next will be the Borla Cat-Back Turbo exhaust.......

I'd appreciate it if anybody have any opinions on this........

I'm assuming that this would be an upgrade from the stock exhaust..........

so as you can tell...I'm not very...um.....up on the performance part of all this....but I'm learning...lol

It's not clear to me what you are driving, but if it's an SGT, you already own a performance exhaust system from Ford Racing. I believe that FRP's exhaust components are made by Borla, please check this out before you spend any money? You may be buying something you already own.

I honestly don't know if there are any performance gains from Borla over what the FRP system brings to the table. Sound/tone perhaps, and there is nothing wrong with this. But, dyno numbers would be single digit (if at all), and you have to consider what the "bang for the buck" outcome will be.

I took LuLu's mufflers off and had a local muffler shop bend some 2.5" open pipe. I added polished tips from SPP, and this gave LuLu a real badass sound. My "seat-of-the-pants" meter says "thumbs up" as well, but open pipe is not for everyone.

My rationale for this change was...The FRP/OEM mufflers are just a few clamps away from restoration if need be. The fabrication of open pipe was 150. installed. That's more than half of what the SLP "Loud Mouth" kit would have cost me, so, it was worth the risk. I am very pleased with LuLu's tone and tenor today.

Oh yeah, these are in LuLu's trunk, and go in this week.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99013292

I didn't consider making any exhaust mods until I followed a few brother SGT/GT 500 owners down the highway after ShelbyFest '08. I liked what I heard and moved forward. BTW...Thanks guys!

Hope this helps stir some creative thinking, happy motoring!

LuLu, let us know how long it takes also and any problems encountered. Is this supposed to be a straight swap and will they line up? Do you expect to require any tuning afterward? How many HP do you expect to pick up? Any difference in sound, better or worse?

Sgt Mac.What are you hoping to gain with the untuned length shorty headers.I've read quite a few of your posts and am absolutely perplexed by this.You can get equal length shorties for about $270.I might see a gain with the equal length models but............Hoping to hear your opinion on this.Don't take this as smart ass,It's not.With all of your research and experience I'm wondering what fueled your decision.

Gents...This is an experiment.

I'm not really expecting to gain a lot of power from installing these headers, and this is my point too. They could be junk, they could be a well kept secret. I'm hoping for 10 maybe 12 RWTQ at best, but I may end up with nothing, we'll see? Either way, I'll let y'all know.

For the cost involved, gaining 10-12 RWTQ isn't a bad deal (if I get there). Moreover, I'd like a chance to explore the quality of the manfacturer. I've heard a lot about "Pypes" as an exhaust company, but don't know much about their products, R&D, ect. Time to explore?

IMHO, conventional thinking about the 4.6L-3V is out the window. This engine has refinements and features very unlike anything we have experienced before. The 4.6L-3V and it's VCT breathes very good on it's own, I'm just trying to open things up a bit to see what I can build on with bolt-ons. Moreover, modding the 3V as we did push rod engines doesn't carry over well, it's a new game today and we should know more about it.

Yes...I could spend a lot more for the ultimate brand names presented as the "best", but I don't need the "best" at the present time. I don't have anything else going on under the hood, and I prolly won't add anything down the road. So, I could spend 700 bucks with JBA and a thousand with Kook's, and still get only 10-12 RWTQ without other mods in place. I don't know, and I want to find out.

Hopefully, this will answer a question for y'all here. Are these headers worth anything in building power on a stock SGT?

Stay tuned?

Gents...This is an experiment.

I'm not really expecting to gain a lot of power from installing these headers, and this is my point too. They could be junk, they could be a well kept secret. I'm hoping for 10 maybe 12 RWTQ at best, but I may end up with nothing, we'll see? Either way, I'll let y'all know.

For the cost involved, gaining 10-12 RWTQ isn't a bad deal (if I get there). Moreover, I'd like a chance to explore the quality of the manfacturer. I've heard a lot about "Pypes" as an exhaust company, but don't know much about their products, R&D, ect. Time to explore?

IMHO, conventional thinking about the 4.6L-3V is out the window. This engine has refinements and features very unlike anything we have experienced before. The 4.6L-3V and it's VCT breathes very good on it's own, I'm just trying to open things up a bit to see what I can build on with bolt-ons. Moreover, modding the 3V as we did push rod engines doesn't carry over well, it's a new game today and we should know more about it.

Yes...I could spend a lot more for the ultimate brand names presented as the "best", but I don't need the "best" at the present time. I don't have anything else going on under the hood, and I prolly won't add anything down the road. So, I could spend 700 bucks with JBA and a thousand with Kook's, and still get only 10-12 RWTQ without other mods in place. I don't know, and I want to find out.

Hopefully, this will answer a question for y'all here. Are these headers worth anything in building power on a stock SGT?

Stay tuned?

Well here's some numbers,

07 SGT/SC

American long tube with high flow cats, x pipe and borla stingers 6hp and 4tq. 1,700 installed by American Racing My car!

06 GT vortec s trim

JBA, X pipe with magna flows 2 hp tq?

07 GT with saleen SC - 2 hp and tq?

I'm going the exact same way as Lulu did for the axle back.

I listened to a couple cars at Shelbyfest that had the SLP loudmouth setup. This is simply a muffler eliminator pipe with a nice tip on it. Around $350 plus shipping. They sound great, but $350 for a piece of steel pipe with tips????

I'm having a set made at a local shop for less than half of that.

Well here's some numbers,

07 SGT/SC

American long tube with high flow cats, x pipe and borla stingers 6hp and 4tq. 1,700 installed by American Racing My car!

06 GT vortec s trim

JBA, X pipe with magna flows 2 hp tq?

07 GT with saleen SC - 2 hp and tq?

I've had some better luck in the past.

2003 Marauder, stock 4.6L-4V. Vortech S trim, 9.5 PSI of boost. 450 RWHP/399 RWTQ before exhaust mods.

I replaced the OEM cast iron 4V Marauder manifolds with a set of OEM cast iron manifolds from the 2003 Cobra (a supercharged 4V). The manifolds were internally polished and "D" port matched to the exhaust ports on the head. I added two MagnaFlow hi-flow cats (replacing the four in the OEM setup), MagnaFlow X pipe, MagnaFlow mufflers, and hung 2.5" OD pipe all the way back to the 3.5" OEM tips (now resonator delete). Everything bolted in place in about two hours while the car remained strapped down to the DynoJet 235 above ground dyno.

End result: 30 RWHP/30 RWTQ gained, with a remarkable improvement in the torque curve under 3500 RPM.

Exhaust mods can be a "poker game" to deal with because no one is going to get the same results. I've learned that moving up to 3.0" OD pipe can be disastrous with a 4.6L-?V. Moreover, I've learned that mandrel bent pipe is worth the time and effort. I suppose it's not only what you bolt-on, but what your bolt-on is replacing?

My shorty headers go in on Friday, it will be mid next week before I can get to the dyno. Stay tuned?

I'm going the exact same way as Lulu did for the axle back.

I listened to a couple cars at Shelbyfest that had the SLP loudmouth setup. This is simply a muffler eliminator pipe with a nice tip on it. Around $350 plus shipping. They sound great, but $350 for a piece of steel pipe with tips????

I'm having a set made at a local shop for less than half of that.

Seriously...$350 bucks for some bent exhaust pipe? That's crazy!

However, it's all about local resources too. If you are living in an area void of talent, it may be the only way to go. Either way, it's all bolt-on and OEM stuff can be restored in an afternoon if the results are unplesant, or, you want the car in stock condition for resale. And...You DO want the car in stock condition for resale.

rnoggle...Treat yourself to a set of these. It's the perfect "finishing touch".

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...ust%20tips.aspx

It's not clear to me what you are driving, but if it's an SGT, you already own a performance exhaust system from Ford Racing

yep....it's an 07 SGT.......

so the Shelby window sticker says:

Performance Mufflers

Performance X-Pipe exhaust........

but I was thinking the Borla was an upgrade for a bit more noise and oomph................so thanks for the info

saves me lookin stupid......... buyin what I already have.........

see....I'm learnin.....

thnx again

saves me lookin stupid......... buyin what I already have.........

see....I'm learnin.....

thnx again

That's OK, we all look stupid sometimes....not very often, but every once in a while....LOL

The Shelby GT comes with FRPP M-5230-GTA mufflers.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=8839

These are not the Borla GT Turbo mufflers. They are made by Supreme Performance.

http://www.ninosport.com/Ford-Racing-Supre...amp;category=90

http://www.supremeperformance.com/

FRPP also sells the M-5230-5GT which are louder 49 state legal mufflers that are made by Borla.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=7707

Thanks for the information

very much appreciated.......!!!!!!!!!!!

FRPP also sells the M-5230-5GT which are louder 49 state legal mufflers that are made by Borla

That sounds about what I want.......just a bit more noise.......

Sgt Mac,I was implying that for a touch more I've seen some equal length shorties that would seem to be better?An experimenter like I am,I like that very much.Brenspeed said the shorties are as hard to install on the S197 platform as the long tubes,Let us know how that goes.I did see a comparison somewhere that showed the shorties would give a nice increase at lower RPMs over the Cast manifolds and actually lose to them on the very top end.Seems like anything a person can do to increase drivability throughout the range and only lose way up top where most folks never drive would be a home run for sure!Keep us posted!

Mark

It's not clear to me what you are driving, but if it's an SGT, you already own a performance exhaust system from Ford Racing. I believe that FRP's exhaust components are made by Borla, please check this out before you spend any money? You may be buying something you already own.

I honestly don't know if there are any performance gains from Borla over what the FRP system brings to the table. Sound/tone perhaps, and there is nothing wrong with this. But, dyno numbers would be single digit (if at all), and you have to consider what the "bang for the buck" outcome will be.

So, if I understand you are running without any mufflers?

Russ

LuLu, any chance you could give us a before and after sound bite?

Don't know...

You own the "before". The headers go in tomorrow, and the before-after dyno is sometime next week. I'll try to capture some video with audio, but like I said before, me and cameras don't get along.

I'll try, this is all I can promise.

Stump, that is nice. Exceptional. What is it like during long trips and expressway driving?

My mufflers are back on. I wanted to have an old school glasspack exhaust built for the car but my wife is concerned of road drone. Heck, I think just straight pipes would sound sweet but the running-around-in-the-yard-with-no-mufflers test proved to be too loud inside the car.

The stock mufflers just unclamp and slide off in a few minutes. It's also a fix for banging exhaust. Unclamp then slide them back about 1/2" and the hanger will stop banging against the inside of the car.

My mufflers are back on. I wanted to have an old school glasspack exhaust built for the car but my wife is concerned of road drone. Heck, I think just straight pipes would sound sweet but the running-around-in-the-yard-with-no-mufflers test proved to be too loud inside the car.

The stock mufflers just unclamp and slide off in a few minutes. It's also a fix for banging exhaust. Unclamp then slide them back about 1/2" and the hanger will stop banging against the inside of the car.

I've been thinking about your post, trying to get a mental picture of your experiment. You don't say if you replaced the mufflers with tailpipes, or just took them off.

If your answer is that you just took them off, then all that exhaust is bouncing around under the car. Exhaust tone is sound vibration, and it would sound ugly stuck under the car and bouncing around the interior. Your tailpipes need to extend beyond the rear facia for a much smoother and mellow tone.

Stump, you may find exactly what you are looking for from Pypes exhaust. They make an exhaust system with traditional bullit shaped mufflers mounted mid pipe. There are sound clips at the Blue Oval website.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99013135

I've been thinking about your post, trying to get a mental picture of your experiment. You don't say if you replaced the mufflers with tailpipes, or just took them off.

If your answer is that you just took them off, then all that exhaust is bouncing around under the car. Exhaust tone is sound vibration, and it would sound ugly stuck under the car and bouncing around the interior. Your tailpipes need to extend beyond the rear facia for a much smoother and mellow tone.

Stump, you may find exactly what you are looking for from Pypes exhaust. They make an exhaust system with traditional bullit shaped mufflers mounted mid pipe. There are sound clips at the Blue Oval website.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99013135

On nearly every vehicle I have had I went with 30" glasspacks but everyone one of them resulted in exhaust drone in the vehicle. Now that does not bother me but it does the misses and this being her car, well she has final say-so.

You are correct though. The mufflers were simply removed resulting in the exhaust dumping right behid the axle. That is why it was only driven in the yard. I was actually seeing just how much the cats and X-pipe muffled the sound on straight pipes. I was actually surprised how quiet it was. I may still have a GP exhaust designed though. I'm wearing her down little by little.... :happy feet:

The Pypes are nice but if I were going tto spend that kind of money I still prefer the JBA exhaust.

The recordings were taken in my barn about 12' behind my car with a little Creative Zen MP3 player/recorder. Unfortunately not the best quality resulting in the microphone being over-driven. Even mastering in my studio could not compensate enough.

• 1 month later...

I just installed Pypes muffler deletes, i sold my bassani race pipes because of the resonating at highway speed. I am so happy with my Pypes, no resonating at hwy speed, they actual quiet when you let off the throttle at cruise, at lower speeds when you put your foot in it, it sounds perfect...exactly as it should sound. $193 bucks shipped to my door

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/mufflers.html

I just installed Pypes muffler deletes, i sold my bassani race pipes because of the resonating at highway speed. I am so happy with my Pypes, no resonating at hwy speed, they actual quiet when you let off the throttle at cruise, at lower speeds when you put your foot in it, it sounds perfect...exactly as it should sound. $193 bucks shipped to my door

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/mufflers.html

+1...IMHO, muffler delete is the way to go. No drone at any RPM, relatively quiet at idle and in cruise mode, and very impressive at WOT. Best of everything, but you have to like loud.

I didn't buy the Pypes kit, I had a local Midas shop fabricate the open pipe with mandrel bends and they did a wonderful job. I used the Shelby tips from SPP and extended them about an inch past the OEM tips. Looks great, and they get the sound and vibration out from underneath the rear facia, which is what causes the cabin drone in the first place.

You done good.

Archived