TEAM SHELBY FORUM

milky power steering fluid

A few months ago this was discussed but I used the Shelby cap anyway since the vent hole had been plugged. Needless to say I now have milky PS fluid.

What is the best way to clean out the system??? I remeber someone using a turkey baster but does that get rid of all the bad fluid??

I tried searching pepto and power steering fluid to no avail.

A few months ago this was discussed but I used the Shelby cap anyway since the vent hole had been plugged. Needless to say I now have milky PS fluid.

What is the best way to clean out the system??? I remeber someone using a turkey baster but does that get rid of all the bad fluid??

I tried searching pepto and power steering fluid to no avail.

I think most dealers/shops have a machine to flush it with new fluid. You can do it yourself by disconnecting the low-pressure return line (to the PS pump) and directing that to a container while fresh fluid is poured into the PS reservoir. Might take two people to coordinate but should pump it right thru at idle. I've done my E250 that way. Maybe someone else will have a GT500-specific technique... Good luck!

Dan

I think most dealers/shops have a machine to flush it with new fluid. You can do it yourself by disconnecting the low-pressure return line (to the PS pump) and directing that to a container while fresh fluid is poured into the PS reservoir. Might take two people to coordinate but should pump it right thru at idle. I've done my E250 that way. Maybe someone else will have a GT500-specific technique... Good luck!

Dan

dan

correct we do ... and on this car thats what he needs to do .. is get it professional flushed

Are the new caps coming correct???

I have the replacement - drove it for a while and noticed the same issue on the fluid on the bottom of the cap. Not near as bad as the one with the hole in it but still there a little. I changed back to the original right away and have had no more issues. I have the other Shelby caps on but don't even carry the PS cap with me for shows. It is very irritating to me that this would happen one time but to have the fix not be a fix is un acceptable. If I didn't hate the yellow on the stock caps so much I would go back to all stock caps.

Like I said in the original post, the vent hole had been plugged with silicone and it still let water in somehow.

I wouldn't use even the new "improved" cap.

I think it has to have something to do with the metal cooling and some how getting condensation or something. I had the new one with no hole at all and it still started but only on the part that splashed up on the cap before I caught it and changed it.

I didn't open it but it looked like the SuperSnake at shelbyfest may be getting ready to have the issue too - that's when it really hits the fan I bet. SAI installed the caps I assume on those. At this point some one has to know there is an issue if we do right.

I love the look - hate the issues.

Archived