TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Insurance

RWH129

Insurance these days is more about you, not the car. They take into account your age, driving history, credit score and a few other factors that have little to do with the car. For me the Shelby is about $720.00 a year with SAFECO.

Mine is about $100.00 per month. With four children between 16 and 23 (two in college), my insurance is over $700.00 per month. I have a 68 vette which I was able to insure as a "classic" for only $18 per month but in order to do that, the car had to be 40 years old. My problem is a lead foot. :shrug:

Insurance is based upon many factors ... credit rating ... where the vehicle is driven ( auto rates in Miami are WAY higher than here on the west coast of Florida ) driving record .. etc

I have had state farm for over 20 years and they wanted stupid money. $750 every 6 mths ... So i have GEICO for my shelby and 02 F150 with lower deductibles for a lower premium ... around $690

I took a '94 Lexus off my insurance, and added the GT500. Same exact coverage. The rate went up $120/quarter. I was pretty stunned, because the Lexus book was ~$4,500 vs. more than 10 times that amount for the Shelby.

As far as I can tell, my insurance went down for the GT500.

I'm paying 480 every 6 mos. This is with $250K/$500K comp/collision and $500 deductible; Progressive Insurance. I have a perfect driving record.

I use Chubb. They're expensive (1300/year for me), but the payout on claims is super easy..........they pay for oem parts, not some cheap aftermarket part, plus I have it insured for an agreed value of 75k, so if I have a total loss for some reason (some clumsy vette driver for instance), i'll be able to get right back into the game with a brand new shelby.

I had Hagerty. Started at $980 per year. Not a daily driver. Insured under "Exotic". Perfect driving record etc. Then it went to $1008 per year and just received my renewal for next year at $1,285!

Called Heacock, they know and own Shelby's, $687 per year with 0 deductables and insured value of $60,000.

Gee you guys have it cheap! For me it's going to cost a little over $2,150 a year (USD).

HI VENIX,

HAVE YOU TRIED TO FIND OUT IF YOUR INSURANCE COMPANIES OFFER A SPORTS CAR INSURANCE FOR VEHICLES THAT ARE DRIVEN LESS THAN 8 - 10K MILES. MY COMPANY, AAA OF MICHIGAN

OFFERS A DISCOUNTED RATE. ADDITIONALLY, IF YOU DO NOT DRIVE THE GT500 IN THE WINTER YOU CAN JUST CARRY FIRE AND THEFT. NO NEED FOR FULL COVERAGE.

750/6 months and the covers me, my wife and my 16yo daughter on my GT500.

HI VENIX,

HAVE YOU TRIED TO FIND OUT IF YOUR INSURANCE COMPANIES OFFER A SPORTS CAR INSURANCE FOR VEHICLES THAT ARE DRIVEN LESS THAN 8 - 10K MILES. MY COMPANY, AAA OF MICHIGAN

OFFERS A DISCOUNTED RATE. ADDITIONALLY, IF YOU DO NOT DRIVE THE GT500 IN THE WINTER YOU CAN JUST CARRY FIRE AND THEFT. NO NEED FOR FULL COVERAGE.

Hi Scotty,

I'm in Australia and that price is considered good for a sports car. Also, we only carry the one kind of insurance, called "comprehensive" which means regardless of how much or little you drive it, you pay around the same price as anyone else with a similar driving record.

VENIX ,

THAT COMPREHENSIVE YOU REFFER TO IS EXACTLY WHAT WE HAVE HERE IN THE U.S. AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO CARRY FULL COVERAGE OR AS YOU CALL COMPREHENSIVE ; ONLY FIRE AND THEFT IN THE WINTER MONTHS. MY INSURANCE WAS REDEUCED BY 65 % DURING THE BAD WEATHER MONTHS WHEN I STORED MY CAR AWAY. ADDITIONALLY, THERE SHOULD BE SOME INSURANCE COMPANIES IN AU. THAT HAVE THE SPORTS CAR / COLLECTOR CAR INSURANCE FOR VEHICLES DRIVEN LESS THAN 8 - 10 K PER YEAR. I KNOW THEY CAN SAVE YOU UP TO 50 % OF A NORMAL/COMPREHENSIVE POLICY. I HOPE THAT ONE OF YOUR INS. COMPANIES WILL HAVE THIS TYPE. MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU OUT.

SCOTTY

Same here. Grundy. $733/year. $50K agreed value (even though I paid MSRP) No deductable. My regular insurance company wanted $940 for 6 months even thoguh I have a perfect racord and have been with them for 18 yrs.

Grundy also did an 07 GT 500 for a freind for the same rate and another friend has a Shelby GT also covered by them.

Grundy Worldwide... $750 p/year... unlimited mileage... No deductible... Awesome company.. You can insure you car for your amount..I added about $10k to mine just in case.. Been around for 100 years...Just my $.02

Premium price should be just part of the decision in selecting an insurance company. How well they treat you if you have a claim is important to me. Farmer's and Allstate rate poor in that category in my book. I have State Farm and would rate them average. In my state, many companies, including State Farm and Allstate, will insist on repairing your vehicle with some used parts.

Wawanesa Insurance out of San Diego quoted me $1,700 a year with maximum coverage for everything. Only vehicle I own, clean driving record. Good lord I can't wait until I hit 25... True, I am only 23, but the fact that I am responsible enough to be a cop should mean at least a little! :do what: I shopped a LOT and these guys gave me the lowest rate, Mercury came in second. All the others wanted $2.7k+ a year....HAH!

Been with State Farm for 20 years. I have it insured for low mileage, less than 7500 miles per year.

$72 per month during the spring/summer fall. 8 months

$16 per month during the winter when it's not driven. 4 months

Total for the year $650 :happy feet:

Full replacement coverage.

Nay. I already tried. Thought the $733 a year sounded too good to be true...

Damn, figures hehe....

Oh well, 140 a month for this car at age 23 isn't bad I suppose...24 in November, then one more year until that lower insurance kicks in, woot!

USAA here, $420 every 6 months, 10K milage, clean record, super credit. Interesting tidbit, the insurance on the 03 Cobra was $50/6 mo. higher, must be the improved safety rating?

My sister is an underwriter for an insurance company and I asked her about the lack of change in rates, figured the GT 500 would be much more than the 03. Both cars carry the same "weight factor" and then the record, miles and type/year, age, number of drivers, number of vehicles and your credit score set the rate. Guess I'm in good shape with four vehicles and only two drivers!

$1k a year here with Haggerty. May have to shop it around when it's due because of the mileage restrictions. 2500 miles a year is not enough for me. I'd be happy with 3500-4000 miles a year.

I have farm bureau here in texas. I removed an 04 silverado and added the 08 gt 500 went up 55.00 per month. Now me personally I thought that was the deal of the century. I called the dealer at once and said clean her up I am coming for her. BTW great driving record and 40 years old, I finally found one good thing about being 40.

Harvey

Premium price should be just part of the decision in selecting an insurance company. How well they treat you if you have a claim is important to me. Farmer's and Allstate rate poor in that category in my book. I have State Farm and would rate them average. In my state, many companies, including State Farm and Allstate, will insist on repairing your vehicle with some used parts.

I have State Farm for my 08 SGT and I am also a State Farm Agent. I have 250/500/100 liability and low deductibles. I pay same rates as everyone else - not a single penny break on rates, but I do get my small commission back. My total premium is $401 / 6 months before my commission amount for the policy. I have it rated for pleasure use (7500 miles or less per year). I am 41 and have one speeding ticket showing thanks to a speed trap in my own neighborhood while driving service loaner car for wife's car last summer.

State Farm will always use OEM Ford or SHELBY parts for these cars. As they age, approx 4 or more years, they can go to get salvage OEM Ford or Shelby parts, but if none are available, then they must use NEW OEM parts. Most of these parts (Hoods, bumbers, grills) are unique to the GT500 and SGT/SGT-H, so they will have no choice but to get NEW OEM parts as most likely these will not be readily available. Also, if you have issues with the vehicle after a repair, then State Farm will make it right even if you have moved out of state. They will send you to another Select Service approved shop who will do the work, and then charge the bill back to the original shop. The guarantee is for either five years or the Lifetime that you own the car...I plan to own this one for a long time (I hope).

In 15 years of working for State Farm, I have never had a client complain of any claims settlement - even for the collector car owners. I had my 1966 Mustang Convertible insured with State Farm for over 21 years, and never had a problem at all with how they treated me - this was even prior to becoming a State Farm agent.

Just my $0.02.

Check out how well Fastfords was treated when his 07 GT500 was stolen right out of his garage in March of 2008. He was insured with State Farm...I think he feels like he was treated fairly considering ADMs he paid and only 800 miles on it when stolen.

Andy.

Archived