TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Faster than a GT500

09GT500

http://www.fordracingparts.com/jumppages/ultimatefr500.asp

Pretty impressive for what it would cost to build it. Why won't Ford build this car? Answer: because it would be faster, cheaper, and handle better than a $45K Shelby. Take away the $4K wheels and you could have a Z06 stomper for around $38K. O.K., stomper is a bit much, but it's definitely ballpark.

I'm not trying to put down the Shelby...hell I would rather have one than this car, but the FR500 is damn impressive. It would be nice to order a car like this from the factory like you could back in the 60's. I'm guessing in today's market, it will never happen. I guess if you're holding out for a Shelby GT, you could build someting close to this when they hit the market in January. Albeit, for a lot more $$$.

Discuss.

Pretty impressive for what it would cost to build it. Why won't Ford build this car? Answer: because it would be faster, cheaper, and handle better than a $45K Shelby. Take away the $4K wheels and you could have a Z06 stomper for around $38K. O.K., stomper is a bit much, but it's definitely ballpark.

I'm not trying to put down the Shelby...hell I would rather have one than this car, but the FR500 is damn impressive. It would be nice to order a car like this from the factory like you could back in the 60's. I'm guessing in today's market, it will never happen. I guess if you're holding out for a Shelby GT, you could build someting close to this when they hit the market in January. Albeit, for a lot more $$$.

Discuss.

You can build this car and I'm seriously considering it. All the FR500 has is all of Ford Racings performance packs, the supercharger, the drag pack and the handling pack. Eliminate all the other junk like the wheels and body mods and you have a 500hp sleeper!!! :happy feet: First thing I'd do is take the car and have the cast internals replaced with a forged parts. I know others have said this is not necessary but I would want to turn the boost up past the factory 8lb setting. :shift:

Add the fact that Ford just announced 0% financing for up to 72 months and how can you go wrong??!!

You can build this car and I'm seriously considering it. All the FR500 has is all of Ford Racings performance packs, the supercharger, the drag pack and the handling pack. Eliminate all the other junk like the wheels and body mods and you have a 500hp sleeper!!! :happy feet: First thing I'd do is take the car and have the cast internals replaced with a forged parts. I know others have said this is not necessary but I would want to turn the boost up past the factory 8lb setting. :shift:

Add the fact that Ford just announced 0% financing for up to 72 months and how can you go wrong??!!

I know you can build it, but it would be really cool and way les hassle if they put it in a neat little package with a window sticker for you. :doh:

Quote:

"FR500 Specifications:

2006 Mustang GT

500hp, 3-valve all aluminum

4.6L"

Isn't that aluminum block a bit pricey? Plus, I added up all the parts listed under "build your FR500" and it adds up to just over $19K. Add on the price of your Mustang GT and I'm thinking you are paying quite a bit more than a GT500.

Quote:

"FR500 Specifications:

2006 Mustang GT

4.6L"

Isn't that aluminum block a bit pricey? Plus, I added up all the parts listed under "build your FR500" and it adds up to just over $19K. Add on the price of your Mustang GT and I'm thinking you are paying quite a bit more than a GT500.

Yeah but some of the parts are not needed. If you just bought a base GT and then added the three performance packs you can come out a lot cheaper than a GT500. All you really need is the supercharger, the drag pack and the handling pack. These three can be added at the time of purchase and then installed by the dealer once the car arrives.

Quote:

"FR500 Specifications:

2006 Mustang GT

4.6L"

Not with the ADM being charged, but that's another issue. Would you really buy a racing seat, that's one of the listed items. Also, some of the parts are direct replacement parts for the 500C, which is a race car. $3,400 is a bit pricey for brakes too. The engine is stock, not all aluminum. Pretty sure that's a type-o.

I'm thinking power, handling, and supercharger pack. You would be under 10K.

For me, I paid 23,800 for my car with 1K miles on it a few months back. So I would be a little over 30K for one fast machine. But I digress...

Discuss.

I didn't add all the prices, but, I assume you did not include labor in your calculations. Sure, you could do it yourself, but, that will require lot of Sundays.

Yeah but some of the parts are not needed. If you just bought a base GT and then added the three performance packs you can come out a lot cheaper than a GT500. All you really need is the supercharger, the drag pack and the handling pack. These three can be added at the time of purchase and then installed by the dealer once the car arrives.

You also won't have a warranty.

:shift:

bj

:happy feet:

You also won't have a warranty.

:shift:

bj

That is definitely one of the drawbacks. It even says on the FRPP website installing their S/C will void factory warranty. Either way, I hope the future BOSS or Mach 1 is similar to this car with regards to performace, and a step below the GT500 with regards to price.

Guest evilchris

Warranties are too limited. Worse case you blow the block, not exactly expensive to replace. Then, when you do, you don't have to be all paranoid anymore.

Archived