TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Check Engine light with Super Snake Hood

old guy

Does anyone know if there are any additional tunes for the Super Snake hood with the Ford Racing CAI and JBA mufflers? I got the tune from SAI when I got the hood, but a check engine code indicated that the car is running lean on both banks. It usually happens after I get on it pretty good then shut down and restart the engine. SAI has sent me a baffle plate to fit over the ram air hole in the hood and instructed me to drill some holes in it, but there is no indication where to drill, what size holes or how many to drill. We have blocked the hood intake with foam and the light takes a little longer to come on, but it still comes on eventually. The baffle might fix the problem, but I don't want to paint it and attach it then drill random holes if it's not going to fix the problem or if there is a new program coming out. It seems to me that the baffle defeats the whole purpose of having the ram air. I spoke with SVT and they told me that tuning the computer with anything but an approved program will void my warranty.

Does anyone have any additional information? Is SAI or SVT working on this or is the baffle their final answer?

known issue, install the baffle. the ram air effect causes too much AIR and not enough Fuel thus the lean codes. at least I think that is what was stated...a member had this problem a few weeks ago and the baffle solved the problem.

Yes, it seems that is the problem, but I still don't understand why they would want the hole plugged. It seems that the car would be able to be tuned for the ram air and breathe a whole lot better.

As for installing the baffle...

Were there any suggestions for drilling holes in the baffle? How many? What size? Location? Thanks.

Here ya go young man...

th_030908003.jpg

If you need specific dementions and the like, let me know and I'll take some measurements for you, but off of the top of my head, I would say the holes are 2.5 inches in diameter.

Here ya go young man...

th_030908003.jpg

If you need specific dementions and the like, let me know and I'll take some measurements for you, but off of the top of my head, I would say the holes are 2.5 inches in diameter.

Thanks for the reply. PM sent.

so could the tune be upgraded to handle the extra air and take advantage of it or is the only course of action limiting the air to not upset things as is?

I think the problem with not having the baffle was the air was PUSHING the throttle open and causing the computer to freak out.

michael morris

Archived