TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake Test Runs

Hi Everyone!

Well I know everyone has been waiting for some Video of the 725HP SS. I just got the chance to use this farm road for some early morning tests. I was told not to run when the trucks are moving. Thats not my biggest problem the birds and bugs are. Early morning the birds and bugs are at a minimum. I used this road in the late afternoon to test for the Texas Mile and ran into a flock of birds and killed 4 of them but didn't break the windshield or the front grill. So I try to get there early before all the trucks start running.

As you will see the new location of the hood vent on a cool morning will fog up the windshield but it looks worst then it is I had no problem seeing. The rear end bottoms out quite often on this bumpy road and makes a banging sound every time. It also hits the stops on hard lunches or shifting. I don't see anything wrong with it and have all ready gotten better at keeping the throttle and shifting smooth enough to make it very minimal. As you can also see the gauges left to right are Boost, Fuel, Oil. The boost is not at max very long, I made all the shifts at 6000. You will also notice how much less vibrations it has over the stock 500. I will be tracking the car next month at Sebring and will give a much better report and video after I get back. So I hope you guys can wait a little longer. PS No Dolphin Bobbing While Shifting

Geez, I guess Super Snakes should have come w/ a standard 200 mph speedo!!! That thang sure blew past the Shelby GT top speed in a hurry.... :o

Thanks for the video.

Two questions: -

1) the power seems hard to put down (not trying to bait anyone :slapfight: , but...) on the 725 and I wonder if the 605 will be just as quick up to 100mph due to it being easier to actually apply the grunt to the road without wheel spin? Views?

2) Engine cutting out on your video - any ideas what is causing this?

Awesome John,

Looks good, 163 mph top speed ??.

What is the best time's are you getting 0-60, 0-100 and for the qtr mile ??

Sounds good.

NO WAY

It has much more then 163 in it. The new upgrades on suspension make it a little more difficult to hang on at speed on this very bumpy road. I only ran it up in 5th and I'm not sure if I had reached 6000 or not. to much to watch the farm trucks had just started moving about. They kind of spook me at those speeds even though they are miles down the road. I have no intension of ever drag racing the car but just for you guys I think I'll take it out Wednesday night and see if I can get it down the track. Don't expect to much I will only be walking it down, but even at that I know it will hit the 11s easy 10s I think will need 4500 to 5000 RPM launches and much bigger tires then the 275 out back. I really don't have any way to time the 0-60 and 0-100 but I know they make a meter for this and I'll see if I can get my hands one one. I should tell everyone I will not be changing anything done to the car till after I have ran all the tracks I did with it before the SS package, not even the mufflers. As for mods on the car I have done are as follows.

1) 4 point roll bar

2) Steeda Torque Box Kit ( if you have them take them off it will prevent Shelby from installing the rear cooling ducts) I plan to modify mind to work

3) Steeda single pass intercooler(This made if not the biggest for sure one of the biggest improvements on track, after 2 to 3 laps at Sebring the power would just fall I could hardly reach 130 down the back straight where I could easily reach 140 and would hold it there till turn 17) THE COOLERS REALLY WORK But , this cooler needed to have a restrictor installed because the water moved to fast I made my own Steeda's part just didn't seem to work.

4) PFAB reservoir tank (for the intercooling fluid)

5)Steeda lower and upper control arms on rear ( I have tried to tighten the upper control arm bolts to stop the clunking but it never stays gone very long, I just live with it)

6) Steeda Dif Girdle ( it has drain and fill easy to service) Clears Suspension

I was also told there is a speed limit set in the tune from Shelby, maybe Bud can confirm this because I would think it to be lower then 163.

A few other things learned for tracking the car at high speed tracks like Daytona you need to change the rear end grease every day. Justin who did my package at Shelby said my rear end grease was really cooked and my tires and brakes were gone but I think the wore out sway bar bushing really let him know what the car had been doing. That would be the 4th set of brakes and 2nd set of tires. I had tracked the car at Daytona before I took it out to CS85th, and never changed the rear end grease. I will be checking and changing more often. I will be trying my 500 wheels and the 285 tires on the car front and rear I'll let you know if they work. I had no problems with 285 all around on the stock 500 the tires didn't rub anywhere. That's what I had been tracking with so I could rotate them after every event. I hope this helps some of you. One more thing DO AS BUD SAIDS break in the rear as told. I guess they are setting them up very tightly to take the power and need to seat ever thing properly. I could here my rear end when turning something I like to do, and it sounded like something was rubbing when in a turn. Checked and checked but did the warm up cool down on the rear and it cleared up. I figured the clutches were dragging slipping in the turn making the noise. As far as the stalling on my passes go I have not really been able to explain that yet but I'm really bad about pulling off the thottle while pushing in the clutch at the end of a 1/4 mile pass or mile and throwng it in neutral then braking. I didn't do it on the 3rd pass I just lifted gave it a second pushed in the clutch and all worked fine. I think the cpu pulled fuel out and timing with no load on it it just couldn't recover quick enough and may have still been a little rich still as the rpms fell the rich mix just flooded it down at idle from full boost and fuel. Maybe someone has some better ideas. I sure hope this all makes some sense to you guys. I'll try to make everthing a little more Nasa detailed. Oh I have to tell you all what my 20 year old son said about installing the louder mufflers after his first ride in the car. I told him about mike and a few others changing the mufflers to make it roar he said but it already hisses louder then and snake he knows of, so isn't that why they call it a Super Snake. How can you argue with that. So the mufflers are staying on till a least after Sebring, if I don't like the sound on the straights on the videos then I'll change them. Ok out to try on the 285 tires.

Thanks for the videos. I have only been around 130 MPH. This was on I75 with some traffic, but it gets there so fast!

Your right about fast unless your in the car or driving you have no clue it just keeps going seems like no end. I hope to reach the end at some point may have to wait for the Texas mile or Daytona we'll see.

Why doesn't your Super Snake have the triple stripes?

It does you maybe looking at a video or pictures of the car before the SS.

Try this site.

Why doesn't your Super Snake have the triple stripes?

It does you maybe looking at a video or pictures of the car before the SS.

Try this site.

Is the factory MPH limiter function in the computer removed with these non-factory tunes? If not, it will always be limited. If I remember correctly, the 2003/04 Cobra was limited to 159MPH and I would guess that the 2007/08 GT500 is limited from the factory also, in fact I have read that it is, but I do not remember where. Is there anyway to get around that "limiter" function?

R

Is the factory MPH limiter function in the computer removed with these non-factory tunes? If not, it will always be limited. If I remember correctly, the 2003/04 Cobra was limited to 159MPH and I would guess that the 2007/08 GT500 is limited from the factory also, in fact I have read that it is, but I do not remember where. Is there anyway to get around that "limiter" function?

I was told by Vince at Shelby there is a speed limiter but no one knew what it was set at. You can retune it with a SCT or someone else's tuner. Thats what I did to run the Texas Mile just moved it up to 210mph worked fine.

have you had any luck figuring out the stalling issue yet?? In case you hadn't read about it, some of the early build ss had an issue with stalling with the new hood, and a baffle system was developed to keep the engine from developing the kind of situation that you are encountering. If your hood does not have the baffle, you might want to try that.

have you had any luck figuring out the stalling issue yet?? In case you hadn't read about it, some of the early build ss had an issue with stalling with the new hood, and a baffle system was developed to keep the engine from developing the kind of situation that you are encountering. If your hood does not have the baffle, you might want to try that.

I really believe its just me with the throttle and clutch thing I do after every pass. I push in the clutch and lift off the gas at the same time. If I let off the gas give it a little time then push in the clutch it works fine. Made passes tonight and stalled it twice before I changed it up. My hood has the diverter in it.

I really believe its just me with the throttle and clutch thing I do after every pass. I push in the clutch and lift off the gas at the same time. If I let off the gas give it a little time then push in the clutch it works fine. Made passes tonight and stalled it twice before I changed it up. My hood has the diverter in it.

I asked this "mph limit" question on the SVTPerf.com GT500 forum. They all say it is limited from the factory to 155mph. I would guess there could possibly be a mph variance between the 20's and the original tires and wheels? This could also explain why your GPS is showing 163mph and the computer/VSS may be seeing 155mph. They also seem to be saying that it is the fuel that is cut-off, and not the spark that is limited, once the "limit" is met.

BTW - Thanks for doing the original GT500 tire/wheel fitment on your SS. I do like the original wheels that come on these cars from the factory, and may swap them from time to time just to change the look.

R

I asked this "mph limit" question on the SVTPerf.com GT500 forum. They all say it is limited from the factory to 155mph. I would guess there could possibly be a mph variance between the 20's and the original tires and wheels? This could also explain why your GPS is showing 163mph and the computer/VSS may be seeing 155mph. They also seem to be saying that it is the fuel that is cut-off, and not the spark that is limited, once the "limit" is met.

You are right about the Ford Factory 155 limit, but the new tune that Shelby uses is from Kenndy Bell And I would think a call to them would give us a better answer as to what the Super Snake 725HP is set at. I also like the look of the stock wheels and with 285s all around it just looks Mean.

Theres a KB tech on this forum. I will send him a PM and ask he KB took off/removed/uped the speed limiter.

michael morris

Thanks Your The Man!!

Just got this back the Ken at KB. Seems like a GREAT guy.

michael morris

Hi Michael.

Thanks very much for your comments. We worked very hard to make a nice kit for the Shelby GT500, and it's nice to hear the fruits of our labor paid off in happy customers.

Regarding the speed limiter, we do not change the factory limiter for liability reasons. However, a waiver/agreement can be signed stating the car will have approved driveshaft loops installed and with a release of liabilty and then we can raise it. The waiver can be found at Waiver for Speed Limiter

If the customer does not have a tuner, we charge $399 for a new one. In case any Super Snake owners are wondering why the tuner did not come with these cars it's simple. To maintain the original form of the car and its 50 state legal status, it was Shelby's and Kenne Bell's joint decision not to include the tuner. There would be no reason to include it unless a race tune was included, which would alter the car from it's original state as delivered with 50 state emissions legal status. Now if a customer decides to alter the vehicle after the delivery, that's their prerogative.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken

Just got this back the Ken at KB. Seems like a GREAT guy.

michael morris

Hi Michael.

Thanks very much for your comments. We worked very hard to make a nice kit for the Shelby GT500, and it's nice to hear the fruits of our labor paid off in happy customers.

Regarding the speed limiter, we do not change the factory limiter for liability reasons. However, a waiver/agreement can be signed stating the car will have approved driveshaft loops installed and with a release of liabilty and then we can raise it. The waiver can be found at Waiver for Speed Limiter

If the customer does not have a tuner, we charge $399 for a new one. In case any Super Snake owners are wondering why the tuner did not come with these cars it's simple. To maintain the original form of the car and its 50 state legal status, it was Shelby's and Kenne Bell's joint decision not to include the tuner. There would be no reason to include it unless a race tune was included, which would alter the car from it's original state as delivered with 50 state emissions legal status. Now if a customer decides to alter the vehicle after the delivery, that's their prerogative.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken

I had a feeling this was the case when the top speed runs were tested. It stands to reason, and makes sense to me that the liability is a great issue here, and all parties involved with the development and building of this car "could" be held liable if damage of the high speed nature were to happen, especially on the public roadway.

Thanks for the update, Ken/Michael.

R

Your welcome.

If yall need Ken his screen name in KBTECH.

Just in case yall have questions on the KB. Again seems like a GREAT guy

michael morris

Not that I am going to be driving 155+, BUT..........what does it take to have the car opened up for more MPH? Is this wavier signed ahead of time, and the tune can be installed at the Shelby facility? OR is it a tune that comes straight from KB to the SS owner? or just how do we get these SS cars past the 2000 Cobra R in top speed mph?

R

Not that I am going to be driving 155+, BUT..........what does it take to have the car opened up for more MPH? Is this wavier signed ahead of time, and the tune can be installed at the Shelby facility? OR is it a tune that comes straight from KB to the SS owner? or just how do we get these SS cars past the 2000 Cobra R in top speed mph?

R

You sign the waiver and then Kenne Bell sends you the tune. You can also have them take of the TC with this tune. SAI will NOT install the tune. It could make them liable. I would think it would be easy to install when it got to you.

michael morris

You sign the waiver and then Kenne Bell sends you the tune. You can also have them take of the TC with this tune. SAI will NOT install the tune. It could make them liable. I would think it would be easy to install when it got to you.

michael morris

Thanks Michael.

R

Theres a KB tech on this forum. I will send him a PM and ask he KB took off/removed/uped the speed limiter.

michael morris

If they didn't take it off, I promise you that I will remove it first thing! 230 08SS's to go..

I have the 605 vert, and would have no fear of the 725hp boys. It all comes down to traction. The TVS is limited, like the KB, by the tires. It would all come down to driver. My 605 does not need more power because of the traction issue. Wider rears with DR's before more power. Mine is a driver, not a racer though. From the video I saw of the white vert at the drag strip tells me there is way to much power for the tire size. What a shame that shelby went more narrow than stock. Still love the car though

I have the 605 vert, and would have no fear of the 725hp boys. It all comes down to traction. The TVS is limited, like the KB, by the tires. It would all come down to driver. My 605 does not need more power because of the traction issue. Wider rears with DR's before more power. Mine is a driver, not a racer though. From the video I saw of the white vert at the drag strip tells me there is way to much power for the tire size. What a shame that shelby went more narrow than stock. Still love the car though

But in reality, how far was SAI to go with this SS package/project? It was already determined that the 725 required a unique/different driveshaft because of the engine power level as it relates to the tire size provided with the SS package. Adding size to the rear tires would only expose the next weak link, clutch, pressure plate, differential carrier, axles etc. How much would have to be replaced and/or upgraded by SAI to handle the larger tire size?

I agree that 605 is all the power that many desire or need (and the convert. is limited to this level), but not all performance sprints are from a stand still where traction and the drivers ability are the deciding factors. How would the 605 perform along side a 725 from.......lets say a 40mph roll, or 55mph roll? I would assume the stronger car would out-pull the lesser powered car?

Not all power exhibitions are at the drag strip.<<But......the drag strip will quickly identify the next weak link once "traction aids" are added.

I would assume a driveshaft may be one of the first items to be changed on a 605 SS once traction is achieved.

R

Your welcome.

If yall need Ken his screen name in KBTECH.

Just in case yall have questions on the KB. Again seems like a GREAT guy

michael morris

Thanks Michael

I new you could get the answers we need but, how does mine go 163mph if its limited to 155? I will be calling them for some better tunes and a tuner so I can change the limits.

Thanks Again

PS dyno the car 637rwhp at 155 deg. 613rwhp at 180 deg

John Strauss

Archived