TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Up or Down

altopcat

Ok no Shelby GT for 2009 Question is will the 08/07 Shelby GT be a collectors item at some point. While I bought mine for fun in the back of my mind I thought it would appreciate over time. Anybody have a opinion on this. I think that stopping production after 2 years is a advantage.

You'll get a bunch of opinions, but only time will tell. The rarity factor will definitely help, not to mention that it is a nice, desirable car. My opinion is that it will be a collectors item in the future.

You'll get a bunch of opinions, but only time will tell. The rarity factor will definitely help, not to mention that it is a nice, desirable car. My opinion is that it will be a collectors item in the future.

Yeah, long after I'm gone! I'd say these may be worth some $$$$ after 35-40 years. My only hope is the guy that gets mine is pissed I drove it so much! THAT is my goal! ;-)

Yeah, long after I'm gone! I'd say these may be worth some $$$$ after 35-40 years. My only hope is the guy that gets mine is pissed I drove it so much! THAT is my goal! ;-)

I love it... perfectly stated!

I take very good care of my SGT, but I'm driving the sucker! (no offense to the folks who have them locked away, I have a lot of guitars I never play too, but this car's too good to resist...)

Jer

I agree with Jer, Jeff, mywickedshelby & Kelsey. If the SGT is considered a valuable collector car in 30 or 40 years, that's great. But there's many many things that are better investments. The true value of the Shelby is the instant pleasure you can have driving it now. Certainly I will take care of it as I would any vehicle I own but it's not going to be stowed away for someone else to enjoy. I once worked with a fellow who had a mid 50's classic Chevy with very low mileage, immaculate, stored in his basement for his son. The boy turned 16 and promptly trashed the Chevy. So sad. Like Shelby himself said, they're made to drive :shift:

Jim

There are an awful lot of folks sitting on $80K+ GT500's who had the same question. I doubt if the "daily driver" cars will ever reach investment level since there are so many that will never be driven. Maybe your children or grandchildren will profit, but there are better ways to make money.

As others have said, don't worry about it. Drive it like you stole it!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok no Shelby GT for 2009 Question is will the 08/07 Shelby GT be a collectors item at some point. While I bought mine for fun in the back of my mind I thought it would appreciate over time. Anybody have a opinion on this. I think that stopping production after 2 years is a advantage.

Forgive me if I am wrong but the original Shelby's could be bought in the early 80's for almost nothing. If history repaets the SGT's will depreciate not quite as bad as a comparably equipped GT. But then after another 15-20 years they will draw premium prices like the originals started to do in the 90's. As far as the miles that are on them.......look on ebay anytime, I have seen classic Shelby projects going for around 40-50 K. By the time they really appreciate the amount of miles on them will be a moot point. Of course the less the better, but if you bought it to enjoy, then enjoy it all you can. If enjoying a car to you is looking at it in your garage while driving once in awhile, then do it.......I only have a modded GT, but I would never buy a car to look at it! Drive it and worry about the appreciation/depreciation later.

Gib

Forgive me if I am wrong but the original Shelby's could be bought in the early 80's for almost nothing.

Probably true, but the last 10 or 15 years has really seen the popularity of collecting cars rise to a much higher level than I recall in the past. Barrett's auto auction is well known and televised, we have a few great collector car websites, ebay, sites like this one, etc. So, collecting cars has been whipped up into more of a frenzy. If that continues I think that you may see certain cars become more "collectible" and hence appreciate more quickly than they did in the past. This is just a thieory of mine. Having said that I did not buy mine to invest in, however as little as I drive it some people would probably wonder.

I bought it cause I love it.....the thinking for me was more of a chance to retain value over time, like a regular Mustang wouldnt ...........more than thinking it would be worth big money some day.

This was exactly what I was thinking...I priced out a Mustang GT/CS Conv on X-plan, and the 08 Shelby GT Conv that I purchase was about $10,000 more. I figured that I was spending more for a lot of upgraded parts and performance (some of which I would have done to the 08 GT/CS after purchase), but I had the potential for the SGT to hold value and hopefully appreciate 30 to 40 years later where as the GT would just depreciate.

I purchased my 1966 Mustang Convertible in Feb 1987 (first Mustang was a 1968 Coupe) for $5,200. I sold the car after 21 years of ownership to my Dad for $25,000 when it was show car quality and probably worth about $30,000+. I figured it was worth it to sell it below market value to keep it in the family, but I never planned on it appreciating because I never planned on selling it...Until I stumbled into the SGT Conv!!!!

Oh, by the way, I had 175,000 miles on the original 289 V8 in the 1966 Mustang that I sold to my Dad....YES, I plan to drive my Shelby. It goes to work with me usually once a week if the weather is good.

Andy.

For many of us ,when the car will be worth something,we won't. You might as drive it now because in 35 or 40 years a lot of us won't be around to enjoy the cars no matter how much they are worth. Life is to short to wait around for these cars to be worth anything. Remember, you are not even gauranteed your next breath.

I bought my 07 SGT because I wanted an All Amercian 2 door muscle car that I could drive and not have to wrench on all of time like the '73 Firebird I once owned. I am not that mechanically inclined either.

I will confess I considered a Vette but a regular Mustang GT was more in my price range. I found the MGT I liked at a local Ford dealer and asked him about adding LeMans stripes to it, like a Shelby. His response was "Why do you want a fake Shelby when I have a brand new 07 black SGT in the back and we're tired of looking at it." They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was priced above the MGT but considerably less than the Shelby sticker. I bought it on the spot.

I bought my car with the intention of driving it on weekends, cruise nights, and ocassionally to work. To me, just having the Shelby name on it makes it valuable enough. Shelby Mustangs have a rich history and heritage nobody else can touch. If it appreciates, great, but if it doesn't, I still have a numbered Shelby. I doubt I'll ever sell it.

Erik

07SGT2940

I got hooked when the GT-H was revealed. I said "If only it was available to the public, came in manual transmission, and didn't have a spoiler". Then the 07 SGT came out and I said "if only it was available in Blue". Then the 08 SGT came out and I ran out of excuses so I said "cancel my 08 Mustang GT order cause I'm getting me a Shelby GT!"

Then I suffered through 6 months waiting for it to be delivered (and people on the old site had to suffer, listening to me whine for 6 months).

Then the big semi pulled up to my house and delivered my SGT right to my door step...and life was good :)

No idea if it will be worth more someday. If so, yea! If not yea! I'm still driving my dream car.

Archived