TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TERLINGUA: Save the Date!

Staff

Sharon

Thanks for the information. I for one appreciate what you are doing. I read earlier in this forum about the date change and how mad everyone was because TS gave them a date and then had to change it. They complained about TS giving out information before it was concrete and now people are mad because you won’t give them a taste of what is to come. You are in a no win situation and I don’t envy you. Keep up the good work and take your time because good things come to those who wait.

Semper Fi

Chris

Thanks, we are trying to avoid those type of situations again.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now THAT I could live with. Heck, we can use stopwatches for the drag races if they are on public streets. That would be just like back in the 60's.

Jim

I promise all the details will be planned out for everyday.

Sharon,

You are being disingenuous (but, again, I still do not want your job). Asking where the heck a race track is has nothing to do with you feeling like "no good deed goes unpunished" regarding other information you gave out early on. A race track does not tend to change much so saying where it is will hardly spoil the party. For example, you tell us you will take care of us on the hotel. Do I need to know, right now, what hotel? Nope. There are hotels in the Terlingua area. You tell us you will take care of the food. Don't need to know about that either. Contrast those with the race track question. There is a fine line in planning events, in terms of wanting some things to be a surprise, but on such a critical issue as a race track, it is reasonable for us to know about that up front. Pretty, please?

Jim

Sharon,

You are being disingenuous (but, again, I still do not want your job). Asking where the heck a race track is has nothing to do with you feeling like "no good deed goes unpunished" regarding other information you gave out early on. A race track does not tend to change much so saying where it is will hardly spoil the party. For example, you tell us you will take care of us on the hotel. Do I need to know, right now, what hotel? Nope. There are hotels in the Terlingua area. You tell us you will take care of the food. Don't need to know about that either. Contrast those with the race track question. There is a fine line in planning events, in terms of wanting some things to be a surprise, but on such a critical issue as a race track, it is reasonable for us to know about that up front. Pretty, please?

Jim

As soon as I have the final details you will have them I promise.

Speaking of unintended consequences: during the delay my wife found the cash stash I'd set aside for this adventure, and now I've just bid adieu to the solar tube installer and am waiting for Mr Nursery Man ...

We'll see.

Sharon,

Jim

Rumor has it there is an old air strip near Terlingua :)

Is the christmas tree going to be the Marfa lights :hysterical:

No fair to just drop the line "Marfa lights." Here what our friends at Wikipedia say about them:

The Marfa lights or the Marfa ghost Lights are unexplained lights (known as "ghost lights") usually seen near U.S. Route 67 on Mitchell Flat east of Marfa, Texas, in the United States.

These lights in this area have persisted all through the 1800s, and they continue today. These reports often describe brightly glowing basketball size spheres floating above the ground, or sometimes high in the air. Colors are usually described as white, yellow, orange or red, but green and blue are sometimes reported. The balls are said to hover at about shoulder height, or to move laterally at low speeds, or sometimes to shoot around rapidly in any direction. They often appear in pairs or groups, according to reports, to divide into pairs or merge together, to disappear and reappear, and sometimes to move in seemingly regular patterns. Their sizes are typically said to resemble soccer balls or basketballs.

Sightings are reported occasionally and unpredictably, perhaps ten to twenty times a year. There are no reliable reports of daytime sightings; the lights seem to be a nocturnal phenomenon only.

According to the people who claim to have seen the lights, they may appear at any time of night, typically south of U.S. Route 90, and 67, five to fifteen miles east of Marfa, at unpredictable directions and apparent distances. They can persist from a fraction of a second to several hours. There is evidently no connection between appearances of the Marfa lights and anything else besides nighttime hours. They appear in all seasons of the year and in any weather, seemingly uninfluenced by such factors. They sometimes have been observed during late dusk and early dawn, when the landscape is dimly illuminated.

It is extremely difficult to approach an ongoing display of the Marfa lights, mainly due to the dangerous terrain of Mitchell Flat. Also, all of the land where the Marfa Lights are observed is private property, and access is prohibited without explicit permission from the owners. There are only a very few accounts of success in moving very close to observed lights, but those that exist generally describe objects resembling fireworks lacking both smoke and sound.

Archived