TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TERLINGUA: Save the Date!

Staff

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Figures, I'll in in Vegas that weekend and planned on doing the shop tour on Friday 10/03. Will the tour be running that day or are they closing for the Terlingua event?

I would expect the tours to still run all the guys will still be building cars it will just be a lot less of us there. We will all be in Terlingua.

Sharon

There's a Terlingua Track Club at Sam Houston Park!...

...with a history of running 40 year olds! ...

....unfortunately they're Clydesdales and Reubens :hysterical: <sorry -- search turned up nothing ;-)>

Sharon & Robert,

If there's anything I can do to help out with this event, let me know! Terlingua is only 6 hours from home for me (4 if I drive the Shelby) and I can easily show up early to help out or go and scout things out for everyone ahead of time. I bet it wouldn't take much to get Dubbs to come for the ride along either! Probably going to go down there in the next couple of weeks because I need some practice driving the toter and trailer before I head up to VIR.

I'll be bringing the Toter and double stacker trailer (hopefully it'll have my GT500 and a Terlingua in it for me!), so if TS needs to ship some stuff to Texas first, I'll be more than happy to toss it into the trailer and bring it with me. As per my usual mode of operation, I'll be showing up the day before the event (sooner if you need me to) so that I can get a good parking/camping spot for my toys!

Let me know if I can help out!

Rick

Sharon & Robert,

If there's anything I can do to help out with this event, let me know! Terlingua is only 6 hours from home for me (4 if I drive the Shelby) and I can easily show up early to help out or go and scout things out for everyone ahead of time. I bet it wouldn't take much to get Dubbs to come for the ride along either! Probably going to go down there in the next couple of weeks because I need some practice driving the toter and trailer before I head up to VIR.

I'll be bringing the Toter and double stacker trailer (hopefully it'll have my GT500 and a Terlingua in it for me!), so if TS needs to ship some stuff to Texas first, I'll be more than happy to toss it into the trailer and bring it with me. As per my usual mode of operation, I'll be showing up the day before the event (sooner if you need me to) so that I can get a good parking/camping spot for my toys!

Let me know if I can help out!

Rick

Thanks so much for the offer, I will keep you in mind as the day gets closer.

I am hoping to have more info on the hotel, I do not know the name yet but I am told that it is a really nice hotel that is close.

I also hear that it has lots of space for Trailers. Robert and I are borrowing one of these, or we are trying to attach one to the Shelby :hysterical::hysterical:

Sharon

images.jpg

2001_Pontiac_Aztek_i004.jpg

images.jpg

2001_Pontiac_Aztek_i004.jpg

I am hoping to have more info on the hotel, I do not know the name yet but I am told that it is a really nice hotel that is close.

I also hear that it has lots of space for Trailers. Robert and I are borrowing one of these, or we are trying to attach one to the Shelby :hysterical::hysterical:

Sharon

Sharon/Robert:

Will you be bringing your KR?

Sharon

Don't laugh, I really do have one of these for my work truck and will be using it on at least 2 different week-long catering jobs...

07SGT0547

Don't laugh, I really do have one of these for my work truck and will be using it on at least 2 different week-long catering jobs...

07SGT0547

I didn't mean any disrespect to the car, I will probably be praying for one around Terlingua. As much as Robert and I travel I would save huge money on hotels.

I didn't mean any disrespect to the car, I will probably be praying for one around Terlingua. As much as Robert and I travel I would save huge money on hotels.

Sharon,

No worries :happy feet: I too bought mine just to help cut down on the ever increasing cost for hotels, convenience, etc...

But seriously, please let me know if their is anything I can do (Catering Related) to help with Terlingua 2008...

Or if you want to talk face-to-face in Tulsa in June, I will be there for only Thurs & Fri (arriving late Wed PM)...

Thanks!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Sharon

Well, if the hotel falls through, as of today the misses and I are booked at the Badlands Hotel!

Hmmm.... coincides with my wife's birthday. Count us in! Even living in Texas it is 642 miles to Terlingua........

It's about the same distance from Houston and I already have a room booked at the Cavalry Post in Lajitis. Can't wait.

Matt

Sharon, just an observation here and only my two cents worth but I see this event repeating what I (and I think others) thought were mistakes made in conjunction with the B-Day Bash. People are booking lodging here, there and everywhere even though you have told us we will have a host hotel. People booking their lodging are just being prudent but it illustrates a shortcoming here.

And, Sharon, I do not mean to pick on you (and, no, I do not want your job) but did we not learn with the B-Day Bash that the majority of the people who go to events like this are busy people who are well organized in their lives?

For instance, would it not have been a good idea to have secured the host hotel before even announcing the event? Also, the event talks about road racing and drag racing but there is no information provided about where that is going to happen, geographically speaking. Most of us want hard information as early as possible. Six months may seem like a long time from now but it is not. I do not know how many race tracks there are in this area of Texas but why can it not be announced where the heck it is?

If we are going to be driving all over creation to get from the hotel to the track to other locations associated with the event, that is something we would like to know sooner rather than later. While the B-Day Bash turned out well in the end, the uncertainty associated with much of it right up to "game time" did not contribute to the enjoyment of the event.

So, how about it? Can you name the hotel and can you tell us where the track is? That would be a great start. Thanks for your consideration.

Jim

Booked at Lajitas as well. Looks like a great place and close to Terlingua.

That's 3 so far - you, me, and stump. It's only about 12 miles from Terlingua and has 92 rooms total so I'm guessing that the resort might wind up being the host hotel. Even if it's not, there will at least be a few of us there.

Matt

I'm driving down to Terlingua in 2 weeks and checking it out. I shall then post pics of what we are getting into.

As for tracks, road races ect: This is my guess only.

Roads will be closed and we'll have dirt tracks.

That's 3 so far - you, me, and stump. It's only about 12 miles from Terlingua and has 92 rooms total so I'm guessing that the resort might wind up being the host hotel. Even if it's not, there will at least be a few of us there.

Matt

Actually I'm booked in the Badlands and they have 120 rooms. A little pricey but it's not like I do this all the time. The older the misses and I get the less we like Motel 6!

http://www.lajitas.com/badlands.html

The Spa will be really nice......

.........is what I would say it I had booked that room. :hysterical:

Actually I'm booked in the Badlands and they have 120 rooms. A little pricey but it's not like I do this all the time. The older the misses and I get the less we like Motel 6!

http://www.lajitas.com/badlands.html

The Spa will be really nice......

.........is what I would say it I had booked that room. :hysterical:

You're probably right about the room count, either way it's the resort / hotel with the most rooms within 15 miles. Terlingua itself has the Mining Co. Hotel, a Motor Lodge, and the Terlingua Ranch (in an earlier post), but those are all about 30 rooms each and even if they limit this event to 100 people like the Birthday Bash I don't think that the smaller hotels would work as the host hotel. Plus Sharon has hinted that the hotel is very nice and this seems to be the nicest in the area.

A round of golf wouldn't be too bad - if I wasn't going to be busy in Terlingua everyday ... and I was any good at golf.

Matt

I'm driving down to Terlingua in 2 weeks and checking it out. I shall then post pics of what we are getting into.

As for tracks, road races ect: This is my guess only.

Roads will be closed and we'll have dirt tracks.

Sounds like an official recon mission. Be careful of the large yellow rabbits. Someone else posted they travel in packs. While nothing is out of the question, I would not be too keen on driving my car on a dirt track. Let us hope that your recon work yields something more along the asphalt line for the tracks. Looking forward to your post when you return. Thanks for going down there. Jim

As it came doen to a choice between going to Tulsa or going to Terlingua, the winner is............. Terlingua

I would have loved to be able to do both, but it isn't doable money wise.

My buddy also bailed on me for the Tulsa meet and no one else in my area wanted to go.

Not tough to say no to driving 1100+ miles alone each way.

The wife can come with me to Terlingua and we can split the driving.

This will make up for missing the 85th B-Day bash

I can't wait for the rest of the details.

Sounds like an official recon mission. Be careful of the large yellow rabbits. Someone else posted they travel in packs. While nothing is out of the question, I would not be too keen on driving my car on a dirt track. Let us hope that your recon work yields something more along the asphalt line for the tracks. Looking forward to your post when you return. Thanks for going down there. Jim

This is Texas son! Didn't you know that we're all armed down here? Rabbits are target practice! (Volkswagens that is) :hysterical:

Sharon, just an observation here and only my two cents worth but I see this event repeating what I (and I think others) thought were mistakes made in conjunction with the B-Day Bash. People are booking lodging here, there and everywhere even though you have told us we will have a host hotel. People booking their lodging are just being prudent but it illustrates a shortcoming here.

And, Sharon, I do not mean to pick on you (and, no, I do not want your job) but did we not learn with the B-Day Bash that the majority of the people who go to events like this are busy people who are well organized in their lives?

For instance, would it not have been a good idea to have secured the host hotel before even announcing the event? Also, the event talks about road racing and drag racing but there is no information provided about where that is going to happen, geographically speaking. Most of us want hard information as early as possible. Six months may seem like a long time from now but it is not. I do not know how many race tracks there are in this area of Texas but why can it not be announced where the heck it is?

If we are going to be driving all over creation to get from the hotel to the track to other locations associated with the event, that is something we would like to know sooner rather than later. While the B-Day Bash turned out well in the end, the uncertainty associated with much of it right up to "game time" did not contribute to the enjoyment of the event.

So, how about it? Can you name the hotel and can you tell us where the track is? That would be a great start. Thanks for your consideration.

Jim

I will post info as it comes to me I will let you know. I promise you will have more time than the Birthday bash.

The entire weekend will be included in the cost. I can tell you now that the dates are 2-5th. The banner is just a hold the date info. It is just so that people can hold the date and get excited about it.

I will try to find out for sure what the hotel is and let you know.

I am hoping to now more in the next week or two.

I will have more details as they come to me.

Sorry I know that this is not what you want but I will try.

Sharon

Archived