TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TERLINGUA: Save the Date!

Staff

Written on the calendar and fingers crossed I can go.

I even told my wife we may need to get another camper since lodging will be scarce which was met with an emphatic "NO!"

I said ok, well sleep in the truck and you can poop in the woods.

She then said, "well, I don't want one as big as the last one we had."

:lol:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a little 411 in the Terlingua Race Team.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/racing/shelbys-te...urns-319423.php

Talking with my friend Jim Clark this AM, we agreed that this may be a time to rent an OTR RV and trailer the Shelbys down. It's a 2300 mile drive for me. Lodging and creature comforts may be scarce along the way, best to be prepared.

Google and eBay are resources for information, check into them by searching "Terlingua". There is a ton of stuff to read.

The film "No Country for Old Men" was filmed in this region. Terlingua is in Brewster County, and Terrell County is next door (which in Texas means 500 miles).

What are the hotels like down there? I looked at a map and it looks like Alpine about 80 miles away has some decent accomodations.

Alpine will probably have the cheapest rooms, but if you're a bit more flexible on the amount of money you can spend on lodging there are some great resorts and lodges in and around Big Bend National Park that are closer. You can take a look at http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/bigbend.htm to see what's available closer to Terlingua. I've already made reservations at the Lajitas Resort - it's a bit pricey but only about 12 miles away from Terlingua.

Matt

I say we hijack this event and take it to Vegas, slots, nice hotels, card tables, race track 10 mintues away and some gambling :shift: JMO

There's nothing and no one out in that part of Texas, so there's really nothing to stop you from the slots, card tables, and gambling with you. Besides, from what I've read about the early days of the chilli cook off 2008 probably wouldn't be the first time Terlingua has seen those types of activities.

I say we hijack this event and take it to Vegas, slots, nice hotels, card tables, race track 10 mintues away and some gambling :shift: JMO

Hey Rick,

Assuming the hijack is not successful, are you going to go? I am wanting to and just trying to figure out how to get the car there (1,050 miles each way for me from San Diego, more for you). I doubt that Michelle will need to borrow a mink coat in Texas in October. :D Jim

The Co-pilot just said I can't do both Tulsa and Terlingua this year.

I have paid for Tulsa already, but Tulsa happens every year. However, this will be the first Team Shelby Nationals.

Terlingua is going to be great and I wasn't able to get to Vegas for the 85th B-Dash for Mr. Shelby.

What do I do??? Do I stick with the existing plans and go to Tulsa or get a refund and go to Terlingua.

I have paid for Tulsa already, but Tulsa happens every year. However, this will be the first Team Shelby Nationals.

Terlingua is going to be great and I wasn't able to get to Vegas for the 85th B-Dash for Mr. Shelby.

What do I do??? Do I stick with the existing plans and go to Tulsa or get a refund and go to Terlingua.

Terlingua, baby!

Renegotiate! But if you can only go to one, choose Terlingua. Always cool to be at the "first" of anything, particularly anything Shelby. Jim

My research did not reveal a hotel within a couple hundred miles that can hold as many people as will be coming (hope the reservations are not limited in number this time). Anyone else have better luck? Jim

Brewster County is 6 1/2 times the size of Rhode Island, with a population of ~8600 people. Don't look for much in the area. It is big as a destination for motorcyclists and such, primarily because CS put the town on the map. Before he moved there it was dead. It is some desolate, inhospitable country. It's not too far from Marfa, which is the hottest spot in Texas. Don't expect it to be very cool in early October, temps could still be in the 80's, possibly the 90's. It is also the desert, so it can cool off dramatically at night.

WOO HOO!!!! I picked the right time to pick up my '08 Black gt500 (how many Vettes do I need to take out to be accepted into the Black Vert Mafia??). Dallas to Terlingua? In an Accord, 10 hours? In a Shelby, no time whatsoever!!!!!

WOO HOO!!!! I picked the right time to pick up my '08 Black gt500 (how many Vettes do I need to take out to be accepted into the Black Vert Mafia??). Dallas to Terlingua? In an Accord, 10 hours? In a Shelby, no time whatsoever!!!!!

Boston Mike - Hope to see you there. Go to blackvertmafia.com and sign up. Another GT500 is always welcome. When it asks who referred you, just put my screen name down (Darkside) as I use the same one on that site as well.

I'm coming with my wife and daughter "Shelby" who will be born in August. I'll be bringing the GT500 and hopefully one of the Terlingua cars. I'll be stopping by SAI next week to order one (Wife already said I could. She loves the look of the Terlingua :happy feet: )

Renegotiate! But if you can only go to one, choose Terlingua. Always cool to be at the "first" of anything, particularly anything Shelby. Jim

I wish it was that easy. Until I sell our other house, I can't afford to do both shows AND pay two mortgages. If I can sell, then it is no problem. The co-pilot can't go to Tulsa due to work, but she would go to Telingua.

I will be there, and probably with both of my Shelbys!!!!

This is DEFINITELY going to be the best trip I can take with my car....

We will be able to cover the miles very quickly in that part of Texas!!!

I am so psyched!!! I cant wait!!!

Lucky you!

Unfortunately Switzerland definitely is too far away for a short trip! :banghead:

Regards from Zurich

Tim

Carroll Shelby will be at this event,

This event will be on the same level of the Birthday Bash, Parties and Runs and lots of events.

It was the first place to hold the Chili cook offs with Carroll. It is a very cool and out of the way place.

I am hoping to have more details soon, as soon as I hear any tidbits I will pass them on.

This will be another awesome event. This will be open first to just Team Shelby members. This will be limited event, right now I do not know what the limit is.

Sharon

Sharon,

You've mentioned drag racing AND road racing............................Are they going to block off public roads for a true road course? Is there a track there?

And do I need to bring my slicks :bike:

I'ld like to drive the car instead of trailering this time but getting four wheels and tires in AND some clothes and toiletries inthe car...............well, it might be a little tough with the new roll bar and fixed back seats :ohsnap:

Archived