TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sources: New "Niche" Engine Coming For 2008/2009 Mach1 or Bullitt Mustang

Guest staff2

This sounds lilke a very good thing. Other sources have rumours of a larger bore spacing, larger displacement engine being readied for the 10 MY and further out, so for a small, high reving V8, this may be our last chance. And the idea of an Al. block and GT heads makes my mouth water and my throttle foot twitch... Thanks Robert :cheerleader:

This sounds lilke a very good thing. Other sources have rumours of a larger bore spacing, larger displacement engine being readied for the 10 MY and further out, so for a small, high reving V8, this may be our last chance. And the idea of an Al. block and GT heads makes my mouth water and my throttle foot twitch... Thanks Robert :cheerleader:

Awesome article. I wonder what type of S/C Shelby inc. will install on a GT? Also, if the weight of a GT with this new engine is significantly less than a GT500, will the performance be similar? Maybe someone that has a Terminator could give us an idea how much one weighs vs a 03/04 GT.

Bold moves indeed Ford...

Lighter weight Block with ford gt-40 heads,maybe supercharger?!...I love it!! Sounds like The weight will be kept down and hopefully about 400 hp or more!! Can You say GT-350?!! All done by Carroll Shelby for mods?!!If it's true,where do I sign?!!! :rockon:

Put me on the list. This is the motor I want (I think). If it remains a 4.6-4V why shouldn't they be able to get 350 horses minimum with a little fancy engineering. VVT, variable geometry intake, why not? Please all aluminum. Gee Ford, if Lexus can get 380 HP out of 4.6, can't you. (I'm ignoring potential cost issues, but what the hey). This is shaping up nicely. GT 500, Shelby GT, GT 350, Boss 351. Lets hope someone at Ford keeps the train on the tracks.

There is no reason why Ford can't put a 4.6L 4V aluminum engine in the current mustang. They already have the 03/04 Mach 1 engine that actually put out close to 330HP. Heck it can be bought now for $5K and is a great powerplant with better bottom end power than previous naturally aspirated 4V Cobra engines. Slap on Ford GT heads, better intake and tuning and 350HP is easily achieved even with the new SAE testing requirements. Redesinged cams could easily push the power to a more marketable 380 - 400 HP to match the upcoming Challenger and Camaro in the same price range. Now that would fill the gap between the GT and GT500

I'm game too.

With the weight reduction it would certainly handle better than the GT500, and you could always use the same brake package the GT500 has on the GT. May not be as all-out fast as the GT500, but would certainly be a more "well-rounded" car, and closer to the classic Mustangs of the past as far as niche'

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Lighter weight Block with ford gt-40 heads,maybe supercharger?!...I love it!! Sounds like The weight will be kept down and hopefully about 400 hp or more!! Can You say GT-350?!! All done by Carroll Shelby for mods?!!If it's true,where do I sign?!!! :rockon:

I'm betting it will make between 350 and 375hp. The reason I say this is - I've read and seen a lot about the 5.0 cammer that Ford uses in their factory sold race cars. That motor had TONS of engineering for peek horsepower. It was a 5.0 and made 420hp at 6700 rpm. For Ford to make an NA production engine that they have to warranty, it's going to be a bit less HP and that HP and TQ curve is going to be moved a little lower. I hope for a 5.0 but if it's a 4.6..it's not going to be making 400+hp AND have a warranty, IMO.

Jeff

Archived