TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Big Bend Open Road Race this week! Anyone attending?

SPRSNK

Ok, I read it twice and still don't know what it is! :headscratch:

They close 54 miles of highway 285 that runs between Fort Stockton and Marathon to all traffic. We run the race on the highway. It'll be like driving through Montana!

54 miles? wow.

Passed my "rookie test" today. Ran the practice course 6 times after that. This is going to fun and dull at the same time. Quite frankly, 140mph for a top end speed sucks. I'm finding myself having to slow down quite a bit. I've also learned that if the roads around here say to slow down to 65 from 75, it means I can double that speed and make it around easily. I'll have pics next week up. 3 GT500's and one SGT so far. ALOT of Vettes here. I'd say about 75% of the cars here are Vettes.

Was cool to see my name on the event shirt as a driver too :superhero:

Passed my "rookie test" today. Ran the practice course 6 times after that. This is going to fun and dull at the same time. Quite frankly, 140mph for a top end speed sucks. I'm finding myself having to slow down quite a bit. I've also learned that if the roads around here say to slow down to 65 from 75, it means I can double that speed and make it around easily. I'll have pics next week up. 3 GT500's and one SGT so far. ALOT of Vettes here. I'd say about 75% of the cars here are Vettes.

Was cool to see my name on the event shirt as a driver too :superhero:

After work I am driving my van from Austin to Ft. Stockton (7 hr) to watch the race. I am interested in driving the course next year, but want to see what it involves including where to mount the 2 1/2 lb fire extinguisher.

http://www.bborr.com/

sounds like a blast. details please when you can!

The 001 Terlingua is here and damn it's pretty! So far on the practice course (closed 8 mile stretch of highway) I've passed myself a Porsche and a Vette. I'm limited to not going over 140mph, which sucks for me, but next race I'll be able to go faster! My last run I averaged 127 without so much as breaking a sweat (myself or the car) and it's in the mid-90's today.

I'll have a ton of pics and info about this race when I get home. Having too much fun right now to do more than post an update!

I love that stretch of road. The low rock ridges south of Marathon are the Caballos Novaculite and were deposited at the same time as the Oauchita formation in Arkansas. You can even make whetstones out of the Caballos just like they do with the Arkansas rocks. The best curves are where the road goes through these outcrops south of Marathon.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/s...%20Road%20Race/

There's part of the pics. I have a few hundred more to go through. Terlingua pics under the Terlingua forums.

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/s...mview=slideshow

My car with the Shelby trailer. Couldn't resist the temptation while it was there!

Archived