TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS Conversion. What to do... What to do...

First of all, I want to say that this is the ultimate web site to belong to.

My name is Jim. I go by Goat as my call sign (I was a Marine Corps helicopter pilot for 26 years, and had a few GTO Judges, so the boys called me Goat in the squadron).

I have been a motorhead since I was 14 when I used to help my Dad (an Air Force WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War fighter jock) work on his 1964 Pontiac Tempest convertible. I go to sleep with a wrench in my hand now as I restore classic cars for a living.

I always loved the Shelby cars, Mach 1's, Boss's, etc. while growing up as a teenager.

I finally got my dream car; a 2008 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue Coupe. I have a slot from Cynthia at the Vegas plant to convert my car into an SS with the 725 HP conversion.

My question is this. There is a choice for suspensions listed on the Shelby SS conversion form; the "FRPP Adj. Damper" OR the "Shelby/Eibach Adj (add'l $100.00)." I have no idea which one would be better for the 725 HP conversion. I'm thinking go with the Shelby/Eibach choice for the Shelby name's sake, but I have no idea which one is better for the 725 HP conversion.

The letter from Shelby conversion in Las Vegas has a note that states: "This is the Optional Suspension Choiice versus the Stock "Ford Racing" choice: the Shelby/Eibach."

Thanks for any help. Goat

First of all, I want to say that this is the ultimate web site to belong to.

My name is Jim. I go by Goat as my call sign (I was a Marine Corps helicopter pilot for 26 years, and had a few GTO Judges, so the boys called me Goat in the squadron).

I have been a motorhead since I was 14 when I used to help my Dad (an Air Force WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War fighter jock) work on his 1964 Pontiac Tempest convertible. I go to sleep with a wrench in my hand now as I restore classic cars for a living.

I always loved the Shelby cars, Mach 1's, Boss's, etc. while growing up as a teenager.

I finally got my dream car; a 2008 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue Coupe. I have a slot from Cynthia at the Vegas plant to convert my car into an SS with the 725 HP conversion.

My question is this. There is a choice for suspensions listed on the Shelby SS conversion form; the "FRPP Adj. Damper" OR the "Shelby/Eibach Adj (add'l $100.00)." I have no idea which one would be better for the 725 HP conversion. I'm thinking go with the Shelby/Eibach choice for the Shelby name's sake, but I have no idea which one is better for the 725 HP conversion.

The letter from Shelby conversion in Las Vegas has a note that states: "This is the Optional Suspension Choiice versus the Stock "Ford Racing" choice: the Shelby/Eibach."

Thanks for any help. Goat

Goat-

MM can confirm, but I believe the option is only for the 605 HP version as the 725 HP requires the Shelby/Eibach coilover suspension. From my understanding it is a stiffer suspension required for the additional torque of the larger HP car.

Welcome to the site. This is a great source of information.

JW

Goat-

MM can confirm, but I believe the option is only for the 605 HP version as the 725 HP requires the Shelby/Eibach coilover suspension. From my understanding it is a stiffer suspension required for the additional torque of the larger HP car.

JW

Thanks JW! You said it, "a wealth of info." Goat

Thanks JW! You said it, "a wealth of info." Goat

Welcome to the forum. When you go with the 725HP you get the Eibach/Shelby. Drove a SS with 725HP today for about 50 miles up the interstate. 2 guys were with me and they both said the car rode VERY WELL!!

You will love the SS. It is a great car.

michael morris

Yes, as already stated, the 725 package is locked to the SE suspension components; no option.

Yes, as already stated, the 725 package is locked to the SE suspension components; no option.

Hey E, when you drive your 605 HP vert do you have to shut the TCS off in order for it to accelerate/clutch smoothly like MM reported on his ride?

Just curious.

Hey E, when you drive your 605 HP vert do you have to shut the TCS off in order for it to accelerate/clutch smoothly like MM reported on his ride?

Just curious.

JW, I turn it off automatically everytime I start the car. It has become second nature to turn it off, but I can tell you that the car does accelerate quickly and smoothly everytime I punch it.

I don't know if the blower has broken in now or what's going on, but yesterday when I was driving home from the Fabulous Ford's Forever show, I was lightly dicing it up on the freeweay with an RX8 that had some sad sounding balloney pipes on it (it sounded like a sick duck) and when I downshifted and throttled up, the GD car started burning tires again while I was doing 85 MPH! It does that if I accelerate HARD, but yesterday I was just rolling the throttle on slowly and the rear end got loose on me. I first thought that the clutch was slipping, but when I did it again, it was definately the rear tires spinning not the clutch.

I honest to god do not know how Michael and other 725 H.P. car owners can keep the car's ass planted without constantly modulating the throttle pedal; they would absolutly have to in order to get any traction under light, moderate, and especally hard throttling.

Like I said, I don't know why the car has woken up, but the son of bitch is DEFINATELY become more of a beast since I brought it home from SAI.

JW, I turn it off automatically everytime I start the car. It has become second nature to turn it off, but I can tell you that the car does accelerate quickly and smoothly everytime I punch it.

I don't know if the blower has broken in now or what's going on, but yesterday when I was driving home from the Fabulous Ford's Forever show, I was lightly dicing it up on the freeweay with an RX8 that had some sad sounding balloney pipes on it (it sounded like a sick duck) and when I downshifted and throttled up, the GD car started burning tires again while I was doing 85 MPH! It does that if I accelerate HARD, but yesterday I was just rolling the throttle on slowly and the rear end got loose on me. I first thought that the clutch was slipping, but when I did it again, it was definately the rear tires spinning not the clutch.

I honest to god do not know how Michael and other 725 H.P. car owners can keep the car's ass planted without constantly modulating the throttle pedal; they would absolutly have to in order to get any traction under light, moderate, and especally hard throttling.

Like I said, I don't know why the car has woken up, but the son of bitch is DEFINATELY become more of a beast since I brought it home from SAI.

SG, what color 08 did you get?

SG, what color 08 did you get?

Silver/Blue, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm very close to a final decision, but have not come to one just yet, and that's mainly because I might wait and get an 09' instead.

Goat-

JW

Thanks JW! Lots of super excellent information from all you guys!

Welcome to the forum. When you go with the 725HP you get the Eibach/Shelby. Drove a SS with 725HP today for about 50 miles up the interstate. 2 guys were with me and they both said the car rode VERY WELL!!

You will love the SS. It is a great car.

michael morris

Thanks MM, you guys are great!

Thanks MM, you guys are great!

MM and other SS guys,

How many miles would you recommend the engine be driven before sending to the Shelby facility for the SS conversion? Or, does the car need any breakin at all prior to the SS conversion?

Thx,

Goat

MM and other SS guys,

How many miles would you recommend the engine be driven before sending to the Shelby facility for the SS conversion? Or, does the car need any breakin at all prior to the SS conversion?

Thx,

Goat

No issue with a break-in period Goat. MM and others had their cars a short time before they sent them to SAI. Besides, if you drive your car and not store it for prosperity, by the time your car gets called in, it will have had plenty of time and miles to have been broken-in. If you got your SS slot reciently you were probably issued a number in the 500's, and if that's the the case, you probably won't get called until sometime between late July to early November.

The conversions are ramping up and the cars are coming out faster and faster. The only thing that's taking manpower away from the SS conversions are the KR's, and the 2008's should be finished by the end of August, early September. After that, it's 700+ 2009 KR's and then wide open for conversions.

Archived