TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Shelby GT

altopcat

I believe you are incorrect; I don't believe SAI ever intended to produce Shelby GT's beyond 2008. It was always going to be a limited run, and, lucky for the SGT owners, it was!

Gentlemen,

During the last two years there have been approximately 30,000 Shelby Mustangs produced. That is a lot of cars. During all model years that the originals were produced combined, from 1965 to 1970, there were fewer than 20,000 Shelby Mustangs produced. They didn't sell real well then either. The 1965's sat around on dealer lots and were seen as too expensive, noisy, and uncomfortable. Changes made to the 1966 made it more popular but it didn't exactly fly off of dealer lots. 1969 Shelby GT500's were slow sellers and dealer orders dried up requiring leftover 1969's to be rebadged as 1970s. I remember it all well as my father was the general manager of Paradise Ford in Scottsdale during that time. There is no bigger Shelby fan than me as the photo below of my garage will attest. But I must point out that it was a quarter-century before there was any substantial price appreciation on the original Shelby Mustangs. Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas is a business that will carry on building Shelby Mustangs long after Carroll Shelby has left us. They are in business to make money and they do that by building cars. They don't exist to provide investment opportunities for buyers by limiting their own production and thus their ability to make money for their stockholders. Because they are so numerous I do not believe there will be any price appreciation on our cars while you and I are still alive. Big numbers plus continued production equals depreciation. Shelby Automobiles - Las Vegas, has allowed me to experience a dream that I was not able to afford as a young man. I can buy and drive a brand-new Shelby Mustang today! I'm happy with that.

Perhaps my son can enjoy some appreciation during his lifetime. Cheers.

Chip

post-12804-1209068702_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1209068702_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a trio! Which one do you like best?

My yellow Ford GT. The most beautiful automobile that has ever been produced. Mine is mildly worked over and puts out 650 hp. Effortless speed and amazing handling in air-conditioned comfort. Carroll Shelby owns two navy blue GTs. He will be hosting our third national GT rally at his facility in Las Vegas this September where 300 GTs and their owners will be in attendance. If I ever get into financial trouble, I will sell everything else I own. But the yellow Ford GT will stay with me until the day I die. My 15-year-old son asked me if he could drive it. Sure, I told him, you can drive it to my funeral. :-) 4038 Ford GTs were produced during their 24 month production run. Between 10 and 20% of the fleet has been totaled or seriously damaged. At approximately 350 were exported to Ford dealers outside the US when new. Approximately 400 have been exported all over the world since then. That leaves fewer than 3000 undamaged Ford GT's in the United States today. This extremely limited supply with no new production combined with great demand has resulted in slight appreciation even though production stopped less than two years ago. It won't do me any good however as I will never sell the car.

Chip

post-12804-1209099176_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1209099176_thumb.jpg

The fact that there are so many 07 and 08 SGTs on dealer lots is probably the reason there is not a 09 model. I am sure SAI measures the requests from dealers and there is no interest at this time for a 09 model. Hopefully the 07 and 08 models will be sold by the end of 2009 and there will be a 2010 Shelby, whatever the name will be.

Exactly, the Shelby Gt is extremely overpriced for what it does. A Bullitt can be had for $10,000 less with no loss in performance. These cars should never have gone above $35,000 and that is pushing it. The low numbers for 2008, around 2,200 I am sure are due to lack of demand. Shelby autos claimed around 10,000 Shelby Gt's would be produced for 07 and the real numbers are far less.

But I must point out that it was a quarter-century before there was any substantial price appreciation on the original Shelby Mustangs.

Chip I agree with everything you said except for the comment that there was no substantial price appreciation for the first 25 years.

In the mid 70's Shelby Mustangs commanded a higher price compared to other Mustangs like the Boss & Mach 1 models. Guess which ones us poor high school students bought back then?

When I first seriously starting looking at Shelby Mustangs in the late 70's & early 80's the Shelbys were selling for the same price as a fully loaded brand new Mustang which was around $10-13k

That is quite a bit more than they sold for new which was also less than 10 years after the last Shelby Mustang rolled off the line. Another way to look at it is your 25 year span puts us in the time period of 1990-1995 which is when the muscle car market really exploded with foreign investors buying as many musclecars as they could and having them shipped overseas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Shelby Mustangs may have depreciated in price during their first 5-10 years of life but after that they have only increased in value each and every year since.

Steve

I believe you are incorrect; I don't believe SAI ever intended to produce Shelby GT's beyond 2008. It was always going to be a limited run, and, lucky for the SGT owners, it was!

Ilmoor, I think if there were a market Shelby would supply a 2009 product. Remember, the GT 500 was only supposed to be produced for 2 years and now there will be at least a third year. There is more dealer markup on the GT 500. The dealers did not, after the initial sales, make the mark up on the SGT. Again, if there was a market Ole Shel would be selling something. Just my opinion.

JMO, but the Bullitt arrived with similiar performance for thousands less, just as the SGT production run ended. Coincidence? I think not. Dealers are still trying to get rid of 1000 07 SGTs. Unless you bumped up the horsepower and kept the price the same, there isn't much of a market left for a 2009 SGT.

Ilmoor, I think if there were a market Shelby would supply a 2009 product. Remember, the GT 500 was only supposed to be produced for 2 years and now there will be at least a third year. There is more dealer markup on the GT 500. The dealers did not, after the initial sales, make the mark up on the SGT. Again, if there was a market Ole Shel would be selling something. Just my opinion.

The dealership that hosted our club car show last Sunday had an 08 Shelby GT Vert, marked at 12k over!

Their 2 GT500s were marked 10k over each....................

Archived