TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Absolute hood scoop final fix.

Will do on the pics Chip! And did I say thanks for the scoop?

By the way, about your last pic - it shows the hole cut-out nicely. I was initially planning on only cutting out the single-layer area, (the hood kinda looks made for that!), but I see you've cut yours nearly to the back of the scoop!

Sam

AKA:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will do on the pics Chip! And did I say thanks for the scoop?

By the way, about your last pic - it shows the hole cut-out nicely. I was initially planning on only cutting out the single-layer area, (the hood kinda looks made for that!), but I see you've cut yours nearly to the back of the scoop!

Sam

Sam,

I thought the scoop opening looked better that way. We drilled a small pilot hole just inboard of where we wanted the 4 corner radiusus to be and then used a large drill bit for the final large radius of the 4 corners. Then a very thin cutting wheel was used to cut a straight line (marked with a Sharpie pen) for the 4 sides. A good look 'eh?

Chip

Day 2, the saga continues, with pictures this time!

After the removal of the old scoop and a bit of cleaning, some nasty holes here:

Afterremoval.jpg

Close up of wrinkled stripes under the old scoop - it might be worthwhile for those that have the old one to remove it and check underneath, there's a LOT of crap under there!

stripewrinkle.jpg

The initial layout of the new scoop:

layout.jpg

Even with NO bolts, it lays flatter than the old one!

nobolts.jpg

Rivet nut on the installation tool:

rivnuttool.jpg

Installation in progress:

rivnutinstall.jpg

Dress the threads!

threads.jpg

Initial test fit after rivnut installation. Note missing bolts! I "spun" a couple of rivnuts because I didn't crimp them enough! No worries, it's fixable!

testfit.jpg

testfit2.jpg

testfit3.jpg

Well that's where I am now. I need to remove the scoop and do a little work on the rivnuts that I spun AND perform a little counterbore/sink on the underside of the new scoop so it will lay perfectly flat on the hood. (This is because the rivnuts protrude just ever-so-slightly above the surface of the hood - enough to see a hairline of daylight and I can't have that!)

Nearly done!

Sam

AKA:

Scoop install now complete! A couple more pics.

With all bolts installed, it's a tight fitting unit! Check out that gap, (or lack thereof!)

tightfit.jpg

From inside, passenger view. Driver's side looks just as good!

frominside.jpg

OK, so now I'm wondering what to do with the old scoop...

...hmmm, maybe THIS is where old scoops go to die:

oldscoop.jpg

Well, maybe not! Think I'll send a check to Mr. Shelby's foundation, along with the old scoop for signature instead!

My hat's off to Chip and Heath for all of their fine work - thank you, gentlemen!

PS: I haven't cut the hood opening yet, maybe this weekend.

Sam

AKA:

OK, so now I'm wondering what to do with the old scoop...........

......................Think I'll send a check to Mr. Shelby's foundation, along with the old scoop for signature instead!

PS: I haven't cut the hood opening yet, maybe this weekend.

Sam

AKA:

Good idea........ I am not sure how many of these are in existence !

web.jpg

Your new scoop looks awesome !!!!

Great job

Andrew

Gentlemen,

I don't know who Mr. Scott Drake is, but I have been asked by Bud at SAI if I was the Chip Beck that was involved in the replacement hood scoop thread. I told him that I was and that I hoped it was not creating any heartburn for SAI. His response to me was, "well actually, yes it is, but we haven't responded because we have not decided exactly what we are going to do about it yet". I don't know what he meant by that. I discussed this briefly with one of my attorneys and he assured me I have nothing to be concerned about.

1. Any individual owner is free to work on his own car and to fix/modify it as that owner sees fit as long as he does not violate emissions, noise, or required safety equipment laws.

2. Even if an individual part is copyrighted, a near duplicate is legal to produce if it is substantially different in structure, function, materials, etc. and is not marketed as nor could it be confused with, nor is any attempt made to market it as the original copyrighted part.

Shelby Performance Parts lists in their catalog and sells many items that are near knockoffs of proprietary Ford Motor Company parts. The Shelby Strut Tower Brace is a close duplicate of the Ford racing strut tower brace. Shelby sells hood props, fuel filler doors, stabilizer bars, trim panels, and many other parts that are close duplicates of Ford Motor Company parts. I have also spoken to Kip Ewing in the past who manufactures exact duplicates of Ford GT body panels out of carbon fiber. I don't believe I have done anything illegal and I certainly haven't profited myself but I have help profit SAI by helping to make this new hood scoop available. I have not taken one dime now nor will I in the future for this entire project.

By fixing this problem myself on my own car I have saved SAI hundreds of dollars if not more. They have not lost the sale of a replacement hood scoop as they would have had to provide it to me free plus free shipping plus free labor to have it installed under warranty. My actions have not financially damaged SAI, they have been a substantial financial gain to SAI. Heath has refused to sell this repair to non-Shelby GT owners. He is willing to fix your existing scoop by providing the parts that he makes but he is not willing to sell this repair to a non-Shelby GT owner as someone might use it to try and clone one of our cars. Anybody purchasing this fix has already bought the scoop from SAI via the purchase of their Shelby GT, Heath is merely fixing the cosmetic defects.

Shelby Automobiles Inc. does not have a bigger fan than Chip Beck. Never once, in a single post either on the Ford GT Forum or on this forum have I ever had a negative thing to say about the company or their products. I am now in the process of ordering my fourth Shelby automobile. Now, and in the future, if a weak link appears to me in the features or function of any of my cars that I am able to come up with a solution to, I am happy to share my findings with fellow owners so that all may benefit. Countless questions and problems that have arisen during my ownership of many types of cars have been solved in a similar fashion by answers I discovered in forums such as this. This free flow of information and the solutions uncovered benefit the entire owner body. That is as it should be and as it should remain.

All the best.

Chip

Got news for you Chip. If you didn't notice already we are fairly large group behind you. :happy feet: :happy feet: I don't understand why SIA wouldn't ask why or how, with solving a problem. Aren't we all in this together anyway. These ideas they are selling and marketing, weren't they founded by racers and guys messing around with these cars in the first place? Ohh Yaa, one by the name of Carroll Shelby. If SIA doesn't get off center on some of the sour issues they unfortunately for all of us - fail. Stay small, react fast, be profitable, forget all the bull. Happy customers mean good profits. Don't be afraid SIA to ask, if I can get a fix reasonably fast that will work, I would rather pay and be happy then be drug through the dirt.

I sincerely appreciate all you have done to help solve the scoop issue. I can't wait to get mine fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

This scoop fix is the best I have seen to date, the quality is next to none. I just had the car detailed today and noticed the scoop is slightly tilted up at the rear. I'll contact my dealer to see if they will replace it and give that a shot. If it does not work out then this is the one I'll probably end up with.

This scoop fix is the best I have seen to date, the quality is next to none. I just had the car detailed today and noticed the scoop is slightly tilted up at the rear. I'll contact my dealer to see if they will replace it and give that a shot. If it does not work out then this is the one I'll probably end up with.

The screw holes may just need to be countersunk on the bottom; I had a similar issue and that fixed it.

Off course, now that the scoop is functional, I needed something to keep critters from nesting in the engine compartment when the SGT is at rest in it's hangar, and thus this was born:

Sam

AKA:

:lol:

That's awesome! I need to get one of those asap.

Ken

Except what's showing, it's pretty rough - I'm lousy with a needle and thread!

Found some red cloth at the big box store, cut a piece of foam to match the opening, then glued and sewed the cloth over that. I printed out the lettering on card stock with the computer, then carefully cut them out to create a stencil. A couple of coats of white enamel and that's the result!

I found several places that do custom plugs, but prices are up there - maybe we can find a company that will do large batches for all of us!

Chip, where are you buddy!? Does Heath need another project!?

Sam

AKA:

• 11 months later...

Sorry, just found this thread. First off, Mr. Beck excellent approach and repair of a headache. Are these still available? Also since you are a serious Shelby person, may I ask your opinion of value of the Shelby GT if the stripes are properly painted on, with nice clear overlay versus the original vinyl? Would this be a huge detriment to the value? As of now my stripes have been removed, but I just attended Barrett Jackson in Vegas and feel inclined to put my car back to original as best I can to a point. I believe in improvements that are definately a plus to the car. Your opinions I would appreciate.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

Photo's 4 & 5

post-12804-1208546642_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1208546659_thumb.jpg

Hi Chip,

Am in the process of having my Shelby GT Hood Scoop replaced at my local Dealership and was wondering where I could purchase the rivet nuts you used for your 07 Shelby GT.

Thanks for your help,

James / shelbygt07

herlitzer@boeing.com

Archived