TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Absolute hood scoop final fix.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Chip.. Sincere Thanks for all your efforts. You didn't have to share anything, and you did to help all your fellow Shelby Members. I hope I get a chance to reciprocate the same back to you.

Jeff

It's been a while, but I received the scoop and have painted and installed it. It is a thing of beauty. From it's spectacular finish to it's open front and stainless rivnuts. I will post some pictures soon. Anyone on the fence about this... go ahead.

John,

How much did it set you back ?

It's been a while, but I received the scoop and have painted and installed it. It is a thing of beauty. From it's spectacular finish to it's open front and stainless rivnuts. I will post some pictures soon. Anyone on the fence about this... go ahead.

Gentlemen,

It is so gratifying to receive e-mails, phone calls, and posts like this that indicate how happy people are with the hood scoop we developed. There are now about 15-20 Shelby GTs wearing these hood scoops. The satisfaction rate of people who purchased this scoop is 100%. Every single buyer has been thrilled with it. The Shelby GT has a history and provenance that very few other Mustangs possess. The only fly in this cars ownership experience has been the Keystone Cops/Charley Fox operation that many owners have gone through replacing scoop after scoop after scoop, multiple sets of stripes, damage to and repainting of their hoods, and countless trips back to the dealership.

For owners who value their time and intend to keep their Shelby GT in their collection for many years to come, I still believe this is the only forever solution. I like the looks of the original scoop but giving the intake a very slight arch and giving the top of the scoop a very subtle dome made it look considerably better and more like the 1966 original. Our objective was to keep the car original, but the hood scoop had to be made perfect and permanent. We have definitely accomplished this.

Again, as I do not share in any of the proceeds from the sale of the scoops (nor do I wish to), your positive feedback is my only reward. Thanks!

Chip Beck

Gentlemen,

Notice how the Heath scoop has a slightly arched opening that follows the rounded contours of the hood. The original Shelby GT scoop is flat across the opening and does not follow the contour of the hood. That flat opening is therefore narrower in the center of the hood and wider at the corners of the scoop. Not a big deal but it looks kind of odd. The tabletop flat surface on top of the original scoop has always bugged me. Flat surfaces on composite materials also tend to sag in time. In addition to looking better, a slightly domed surface (shown below) is stronger and more durable than a flat surface and resists changing shape far better. The photos displayed below of a black SGT with a Heath scoop clearly shows how the opening of his new scoop follows the rounded contour of his hood. The white/silver Heath scoop shown below displays the slightly domed top surface of the scoop. All the best.

Chip

post-12804-1251313677_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1251312381_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1251312381_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1251313677_thumb.jpg

Sooooooo....how much is it again?

I called Heath and he told me $595 if you secure your own mounting hardware and $695 if Performance One Aviation supplies mounting hardware. Every one of these is handbuilt and fitted, one at a time, by aviation airframe technicans. It takes a full day to build one.

Chip

I called Heath and he told me $595 if you secure your own mounting hardware and $695 if Performance One Aviation supplies mounting hardware. Every one of these is handbuilt and fitted, one at a time, by aviation airframe technicans. It takes a full day to build one.

Chip

What a bargain for a piece like this... :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I have received several PMs during the last two weeks requesting information about rivet nuts. Although these photos and information are contained earlier in this thread, for those individuals not wishing to wade through that much information, here is what they look like. The base of the rivet nut is larger in diameter than a standard rivet but it installs basically the same way. Once the base is installed a hex had domed top screw is used to affix the hood scoop. Using this method the hood scoop can be removed and reinstalled in just a few minutes. Rivet nuts allow the screw tension to be adjusted with just enough force to hold the scoop securely without damaging either the scoop or the paint. I don't believe it makes sense to affix any hood scoop in any other manner.

I hope these photos are helpful for those individuals who've contacted me looking for information.

Chip

post-12804-1252530235_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1252530243_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1252530252_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1252530235_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1252530243_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1252530252_thumb.jpg

The day is FINALLY drawing near!

I received my Chip Beck scoop some months ago and at last it has been painted and is ready for installation! It looks wonderful! (The painter didn't use Satin Silver - he seems to have found a closer match to the original stripes that are still on the car - I will post the code ASAP)

I've ordered a rivet nut setting tool (Marson 39200) as I will be doing the installation myself!

Hopefully this install will begin sometime next week...

Words of encouragement are welcome!

Sam

AKA:

I received my Chip Beck scoop some months ago and at last it has been painted and is ready for installation! It looks wonderful! (The painter didn't use Satin Silver - he seems to have found a closer match to the original stripes that are still on the car - I will post the code ASAP)

I've ordered a rivet nut setting tool (Marson 39200) as I will be doing the installation myself!

Sam

AKA:

don't forget to keep the tool around, some of us will want to borrow it, I'm still working through the different types of rivets that can be used, is your rivet tool specific to a certain type rivet?

If it will stop raining around here, I'd like to pull my scoop and sand it down and reset it with new rivets.

GG

Sam

Get 'er done Sam. And please post photos when you are done!! All the best.

Chip

don't forget to keep the tool around, some of us will want to borrow it, I'm still working through the different types of rivets that can be used, is your rivet tool specific to a certain type rivet?

If it will stop raining around here, I'd like to pull my scoop and sand it down and reset it with new rivets.

GG

GG,

It's funny you should say that - I was thinking the same thing about loaning it out to my fellow Team Shelby members! I can honestly say that I would be happy to make this happen when I'm finished! (In case anyone is interested in buying one, I ordered it from a company out of Wesley Chapel, Florida. http://www.blindrivetsupply.com Total cost with shipping was $56) The description, (it looks just like a "pop-rivet" tool), says that it will set rivet nuts up to 1/4 inch thread and it comes with mandrels for 8/32, 10/32, and 10/24. I don't have the riv-nuts I got from Phoenix Composites in front of me, but I'm certain they are 8/32 or 10/32, so I think I'm covered.

Chip: Full description and pics of the install upon completion!

Sam

AKA:

GG,

It's funny you should say that - I was thinking the same thing about loaning it out to my fellow Team Shelby members! I can honestly say that I would be happy to make this happen when I'm finished! (In case anyone is interested in buying one, I ordered it from a company out of Wesley Chapel, Florida. http://www.blindrivetsupply.com Total cost with shipping was $56) The description, (it looks just like a "pop-rivet" tool), says that it will set rivet nuts up to 1/4 inch thread and it comes with mandrels for 8/32, 10/32, and 10/24. I don't have the riv-nuts I got from Phoenix Composites in front of me, but I'm certain they are 8/32 or 10/32, so I think I'm covered.

Chip: Full description and pics of the install upon completion!

Sam

AKA:

Okay now, I asked first so put me at the top of the list when you are done, I'll send a prepaid postage envelope to your address.

GG

Harbor Freight has a rivet gun that'll handle the rivet nuts for less than $15.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=94100

LOL! I saw that one in Harbor Freight this morning and snapped it up! If it works as advertised, I'll just pass it along to anyone that wants to tackle this job, so long as they do the same when they're done! Looks like this project may get underway tomorrow!

Sam

AKA:

LOL! I saw that one in Harbor Freight this morning and snapped it up! If it works as advertised, I'll just pass it along to anyone that wants to tackle this job, so long as they do the same when they're done! Looks like this project may get underway tomorrow!

Sam

AKA:

pictures of removal and install, I forgot which rivet you were going to use.....

GG

After a brief delay, (to much Tequila last night!), the installation finally got going this afternoon!

Step One: Remove the old scoop! This was trickier than I thought as mine turned out to be held on by ELEVEN bolts! First I pulled off the under-hood blanket by carefully removing those infuriating plastic push-pins with my handy divot-tool that I retrieved from my golf bag. (don't laugh, it works!) Next I removed the eight, large, main bolts, then I removed the nuts from the two smaller bolts at the front of the scoop. At this point I figured the scoop would just pop right off, but the two bolts at the front refused to budge. After studying them carefully, I discovered that SAI seems to have drilled and tapped those two right into the hood! I grabbed an allen wrench and sure enough, they backed right out, but still the scoop refused to move! I carefully pulled at the edges and pushed from underneath and that's how I found bolt number 11!

Note to everyone for future reference: Not all of those "fake" rivets are really fake! After backing that last one out, the scoop slid right off!

It's interesting that someone posted elsewhere about drilling and tapping directly into the hood as a fix for the old scoop. Based on this experience, they may actually have a simple and cheap fix - guess we'll find out how that goes in the long run but it's probably worth a shot if your low on cash.

Anyway, the old scoop was off and boy what a mess I found underneath! Dirt and grime galore! A little Simple Green and I was ready to proceed.

Step Two: The lay out! I taped off the general area where I thought the Heath/Beck masterpiece should go and set it on the hood. My painter did a terrific job with the stripe and color match and after a few moments, I had it placed in a good spot. I studied it from just about every angle to make sure it looked right, then measured it just to be absolutely positive. Lastly, I called out the "boss" and she gave it the once over with her critical eye. It passed that last test, so I taped it down to hold it in place while I marked the holes for drilling. The tolerances are fairly small, so accuracy is kind of critical here.

Step Three: Egads, the drill! Not for the faint of heart! I used a gentle tap with a center-punch on each hole to get things started, then covered the engine area with a couple of old towels and propped the hood open slightly with a cushioned block of wood. I then drilled each hole with a 1/8 inch bit for starters. (yes, there's 27!) No turning back, but by now it was close to 9:30pm and I decided to just drill a half-dozen holes up to the final size of 1/4 inch and try setting a few rivet nuts.

Step Three A: Setting rivet nuts! Well, that $16 rivet nut setter from Harbor Freight is worth the money, sort of! At least it works, but it's build tolerances are sloppy and I have to fiddle with it constantly. I used it to set two rivnuts at the front and two at the rear, then used a tap to clean up the threads. I then grabbed the new scoop, set it in place, and bolted it down.

In a word, I am STOKED! This scoop is indeed awesome! Even with just four bolts holding it down, it lays flatter than any I've seen, with an edge gap you couldn't get rice paper under!

I can't wait to get the rest of the rivnuts in place and finish this beauty!

The rest of the story and pics as soon as I'm done!

Sam

AKA:

In a word, I am STOKED! This scoop is indeed awesome! Even with just four bolts holding it down, it lays flatter than any I've seen, with an edge gap you couldn't get rice paper under!

I can't wait to get the rest of the rivnuts in place and finish this beauty!

Sam

Gentlemen,

To quote my grandmother, "The proof is in the pudding!" Every single member who has aquired a Heath/Beck scoop is thrilled with it. Look at the finish on the Heath Scoop in the top photo below. Look at the slightly curved (domed) scoop opening and curved scoop top surface. When you finally get tired of fighting the endless scoop battle, call Heath. It looks better, it fits better, it works better, it'll last forever, and you'll feel better!! I look forward to seeing your pictures Sam!

Chip

post-12804-1253515457_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1253515466_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1253515475_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1253515485_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1253515457_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1253515466_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1253515475_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1253515485_thumb.jpg

Archived