TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Absolute hood scoop final fix.

On a down note. My Whipple supercharger was supposed to be installed this month at SAI. When I called Bud yesterday he informed me that they were way behind schedule and he would have put my install off until late September. Bummer. A buddy of mine who is the Ford dealer in Santa Margarita, California, tells me that the 40th Anniversary and Super Snake car production has SAI a bit behind on the production of the new GT500KR and that is their top priority right now. All the best.

That just blows me away. So they have more business than they can handle. Is that a problem really??? Answer seems simple to me...hire some people and build more facilities. This country has no shortage of mechanics.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ChipBeck, I think you took my posting wrong. I am not criticizing you for making what I am sure is an outstanding product, I am suggesting that Shelby has got a final fix right in front of them, thank to your talent and effort, and it would behoove them to contact you and resolve this problem.

As for the upgrades that folks are putting on their cars... you're talking apples and oranges. People aren't upgrading their superchargers, rears, hoods, and other things because they have to. The parts they are replacing are functioning perfectly as advertised and designed just the way they are. This is an issue where the folks at SAI put a known problem on the market and are standing by effectively ignoring it or putting band-aids on the problem while their customers either pay for the fix (new scoop, new hood, whatever...) or live with it. The problem has been around far too long. It should be resolved by now. If you can figure out how to fix it no matter how time consuming or expensive, I'm sure the good people at SAI can do the same. And because this particular part is poorly engineered and causing problems, I feel it is their obligation to do so.

As I said before...

I applaud you for your work, but I just have a wee bit of a problem with paying for a fix out of my pocket that should be resolved under a warranty. Not saying others shouldn't, just saying I won't.

...and just to further clarify... I think it is great that you are giving folks who disagree with me a viable, high quality option. I know that others think differently than I do, and I have no problem with that.

ChipBeck, I think you took my posting wrong. I am not criticizing you for making what I am sure is an outstanding product, I am suggesting that Shelby has got a final fix right in front of them, thank to your talent and effort, and it would behoove them to contact you and resolve this problem.... I think it is great that you are giving folks who disagree with me a viable, high quality option. I know that others think differently than I do, and I have no problem with that.

Old guy,

Rats, I must come across the wrong way. I didn't think you were criticizing me at all and what I was trying to get across was that I agreed with your post and thought from the beginning that most owners would wait for the warranty fix which they are entitled to. I was just impatient in addition to my other listed reasons for changing my scoop and I know there's a hard-core minority of owners who just want to get it done. I took your post the right way, and I believe we're on the same page. There is little question that my "Get-er-Done" course of action is in the minority. And that the patient, "They'll eventually fix this" course of action is in the majority.

When I took people for a ride in my Shelby GT, I normally got two comments. 1. This is really nice and 2. Your hood scoop is coming off! :banghead:

When I was talking to Bud the other day about my supercharger installation, he mentioned the hood scoop posts. He has my cell phone number and I told him I was available to speak to anybody that wanted to inquire about the hood scoop. If there was a way to make these quickly and inexpensively, I would seriously try to get Shelby to consider it. Now if he was really talented, Heath would come up with an injection molded fix that came out of the mold already striped, perfectly fitted, ready for hardware, and that could be sold for $99. :happy feet: Hey, I can always dream.

Chip

That just blows me away. So they have more business than they can handle. Is that a problem really??? Answer seems simple to me...hire some people and build more facilities. This country has no shortage of mechanics.

TheKurgan, you're missing one important point. Upgrading GT500's to KR's and SS's means big bucks for SAI whereas replacing warping scoops and wrinkled stripes on existing cars is warranty work and is a drain rather than a money maker...just saying :banghead:

Old guy,

Rats, I must come across the wrong way. I didn't think you were criticizing me at all and what I was trying to get across was that I agreed with your post and thought from the beginning that most owners would wait for the warranty fix which they are entitled to. I was just impatient in addition to my other listed reasons for changing my scoop and I know there's a hard-core minority of owners who just want to get it done. I took your post the right way, and I believe we're on the same page. There is little question that my "Get-er-Done" course of action is in the minority. And that the patient, "They'll eventually fix this" course of action is in the majority.

When I took people for a ride in my Shelby GT, I normally got two comments. 1. This is really nice and 2. Your hood scoop is coming off! :banghead:

When I was talking to Bud the other day about my supercharger installation, he mentioned the hood scoop posts. He has my cell phone number and I told him I was available to speak to anybody that wanted to inquire about the hood scoop. If there was a way to make these quickly and inexpensively, I would seriously try to get Shelby to consider it. Now if he was really talented, Heath would come up with an injection molded fix that came out of the mold already striped, perfectly fitted, ready for hardware, and that could be sold for $99. :happy feet: Hey, I can always dream.

Chip

I'm sure Mr. Scott Drake is not happy about your having the perfectly thought out fix and a product ready to deliver , and given what I have seen and read about SAI, could it be possible they might want to shut you down?.........infrigment? , or better put if SAI can't make money on it , well "no one will" ...................uh atleast until they bring you into the litigation process to get a piece.

In any case I want the Chip Beck Scoop by Heath as soon as I can get one.............

I'm sure Mr. Scott Drake is not happy about your having the perfectly thought out fix and a product ready to deliver , and given what I have seen and read about SAI, could it be possible they might want to shut you down?.........infrigment? , or better put if SAI can't make money on it , well "no one will" ...................uh atleast until they bring you into the litigation process to get a piece.

In any case I want the Chip Beck Scoop by Heath as soon as I can get one.............

This is the first time Ive read this forum and I must say it is very interesting. Chip/Heath, you have done a great job and for that I thank you.

I would think SAI would be throwing a party now that the Chip/Heath scoop is out. This takes many of their unhappy customers away from the "bad scoop" topics. If 25 buy this scoop and install it that is 25 less people they have to worry about. That is also 25 less scoops they will have to fix saving a nice chunk of change.

I also find it quite interesting no one from SAI posted here. Someone from SAI surely had to read this and I wonder what is keeping them from posting their thoughts? And I wonder what their thoughts really are on this topic, including Mr. Shelby's thoughts.

Luckily my scoop isnt in bad condition, as of last time I checked. In the future, I do anticipate having to choose between buying and adding the Chip/Heath scoop or joining the war against SAI to get a fix for the scoop, under warranty.

I also find it quite interesting no one from SAI posted here. Someone from SAI surely had to read this and I wonder what is keeping them from posting their thoughts? And I wonder what their thoughts really are on this topic, including Mr. Shelby's thoughts.

I don't think SAI has posted ANYWHERE concerning this subject since this thread started :banghead:

I don't think SAI has posted ANYWHERE concerning this subject since this thread started :banghead:

And that may just be one of the biggest problems with this scoop. Not letting any info get out.

Whats the "Lemon Law" apply to?

This is the first time Ive read this forum and I must say it is very interesting. Chip/Heath, you have done a great job and for that I thank you.

I would think SAI would be throwing a party now that the Chip/Heath scoop is out. This takes many of their unhappy customers away from the "bad scoop" topics. If 25 buy this scoop and install it that is 25 less people they have to worry about. That is also 25 less scoops they will have to fix saving a nice chunk of change.

Luckily my scoop isnt in bad condition, as of last time I checked. In the future, I do anticipate having to choose between buying and adding the Chip/Heath scoop or joining the war against SAI to get a fix for the scoop, under warranty.

SAI's problem is if they post explanations , send out letters , or acknowlege the problem in any way they they will have admitted to a "DEFECT"

and there fore will be subject to making "THEIR WARRANTY GOOD", even if they buy us the Chip Beck Scoop by HEATH for 500 dollars (acually not that bad price) they can't warranty the workmenship , and even if done in their shops who pays the labor. SAI doesn't like taking money out of the corporation even if it's to show they have some remnance of integrity about obligations to the customer. ZDS

SAI's problem is if they post explanations , send out letters , or acknowlege the problem in any way they they will have admitted to a "DEFECT"

and there fore will be subject to making "THEIR WARRANTY GOOD", even if they buy us the Chip Beck Scoop by HEATH for 500 dollars (acually not that bad price) they can't warranty the workmenship , and even if done in their shops who pays the labor. SAI doesn't like taking money out of the corporation even if it's to show they have some remnance of integrity about obligations to the customer. ZDS

Well maybe your just right. And it would be wrong for myself to assume they are reading these threads thus making them aware. Like I posted earlier I dont have a problem. However reading what I have read on here the day I notice a problem I will be sending a certified letter to my dealer as well as SAI and Ford's HQ making them aware of the problems. There are laws, atleast in VA, that protect the consumer.

Just a tad from the VA laws :

"If the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers do not conform the motor vehicle to any applicable warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition, including those that do not affect the drivability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value , or safety of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts during the lemon law rights period, the manufacturer shall:

1. Replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle acceptable to the consumer, or

2. Accept return of the motor vehicle and refund to the consumer, lessor, and any lien holder as their interest may appear the full contract price, including all collateral charges, incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle up to the date of the first notice of nonconformity that is given to the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealer. Refunds or replacements shall be made to the consumer, lessor or lien holder, if any, as their interests may appear. The consumer shall have the unconditional right to choose a refund rather than a replacement vehicle and to drive the motor vehicle until he receives either the replacement vehicle or the refund. The subtraction of a reasonable allowance for use shall apply to either a replacement or refund of the motor vehicle. Mileage, expenses, and reasonable loss of use necessitated by attempts to conform such motor vehicle to the express warranty may be recovered by the consumer."

Search your state here: http://www.autolemonlaws.com/lemonlaw.htm

Good Luck Guys and Gals!

Well maybe your just right. And it would be wrong for myself to assume they are reading these threads thus making them aware. Like I posted earlier I dont have a problem. However reading what I have read on here the day I notice a problem I will be sending a certified letter to my dealer as well as SAI and Ford's HQ making them aware of the problems. There are laws, atleast in VA, that protect the consumer.

Just a tad from the VA laws :

"If the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers do not conform the motor vehicle to any applicable warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition, including those that do not affect the drivability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value , or safety of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts during the lemon law rights period, the manufacturer shall:

1. Replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle acceptable to the consumer, or

2. Accept return of the motor vehicle and refund to the consumer, lessor, and any lien holder as their interest may appear the full contract price, including all collateral charges, incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle up to the date of the first notice of nonconformity that is given to the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealer. Refunds or replacements shall be made to the consumer, lessor or lien holder, if any, as their interests may appear. The consumer shall have the unconditional right to choose a refund rather than a replacement vehicle and to drive the motor vehicle until he receives either the replacement vehicle or the refund. The subtraction of a reasonable allowance for use shall apply to either a replacement or refund of the motor vehicle. Mileage, expenses, and reasonable loss of use necessitated by attempts to conform such motor vehicle to the express warranty may be recovered by the consumer."

Search your state here: http://www.autolemonlaws.com/lemonlaw.htm

Good Luck Guys and Gals!

It's unfortunate the SAI chooses to do business from the aspect of "litegate before compensate" when it comes to customer complaints , I have to assume they have written their Warantys , and contracts with this in mind. I can see the motovation . SAI produces short runs of very specialty products which also carry a high risk of liability ...............their stradegy to make money is to produce the product with a greatest amount of appeal in a hot market environment quick ,get it out there to the distribution point "FORD DEALER" which obscures who is responsible, Kinda of a get it in and get out quick before any issues come up , and then never admitt to any DEFECTS.

This is apparent I think in some of those Chrystler cars they did ! Its susch a sorry misguided business plan since they had the basis for such a great car if they did it right ...........I think there was , and may still be a much larger market for the SGT with real scoop ram induction , and maybe real side scoops , than there is for the 500 cars ,,,My SGT is so much fun on the Open Track days and I think overall track times , in the hands of a good drive that this car is just as fast.

The up shot is , as I knew it would be , that some one would solve the scoop issue , and put a product out ther , I just hope SAI Legal staff stays of them , they do not deseve any thin out of Chip and Heaths good work and effort . Of course if the went after them , that would be an admission that the is a problem , so may be they are safe from the legal wiesels and other lawyer type (^&$$&^(*)(^!!!'s

ZDS

Since we are talking lemon laws let me ask an opinion, hopefully from a dealer rep. I bought the car in Fla but have the car stored in AZ where I will eventually live. My permanent address is in the mid-west until I move for good someday. Which state's lemon law will I have to evoke if necessary?

Since we are talking lemon laws let me ask an opinion, hopefully from a dealer rep. I bought the car in Fla but have the car stored in AZ where I will eventually live. My permanent address is in the mid-west until I move for good someday. Which state's lemon law will I have to evoke if necessary?

The Lemon Law which will apply will be the law in effect where you purchased the car.

In any case I want the Chip Beck Scoop by Heath as soon as I can get one.....

Gentlemen,

I don't know who Mr. Scott Drake is, but I have been asked by Bud at SAI if I was the Chip Beck that was involved in the replacement hood scoop thread. I told him that I was and that I hoped it was not creating any heartburn for SAI. His response to me was, "well actually, yes it is, but we haven't responded because we have not decided exactly what we are going to do about it yet". I don't know what he meant by that. I discussed this briefly with one of my attorneys and he assured me I have nothing to be concerned about.

1. Any individual owner is free to work on his own car and to fix/modify it as that owner sees fit as long as he does not violate emissions, noise, or required safety equipment laws.

2. Even if an individual part is copyrighted, a near duplicate is legal to produce if it is substantially different in structure, function, materials, etc. and is not marketed as nor could it be confused with, nor is any attempt made to market it as the original copyrighted part.

Shelby Performance Parts lists in their catalog and sells many items that are near knockoffs of proprietary Ford Motor Company parts. The Shelby Strut Tower Brace is a close duplicate of the Ford racing strut tower brace. Shelby sells hood props, fuel filler doors, stabilizer bars, trim panels, and many other parts that are close duplicates of Ford Motor Company parts. I have also spoken to Kip Ewing in the past who manufactures exact duplicates of Ford GT body panels out of carbon fiber. I don't believe I have done anything illegal and I certainly haven't profited myself but I have help profit SAI by helping to make this new hood scoop available. I have not taken one dime now nor will I in the future for this entire project.

By fixing this problem myself on my own car I have saved SAI hundreds of dollars if not more. They have not lost the sale of a replacement hood scoop as they would have had to provide it to me free plus free shipping plus free labor to have it installed under warranty. My actions have not financially damaged SAI, they have been a substantial financial gain to SAI. Heath has refused to sell this repair to non-Shelby GT owners. He is willing to fix your existing scoop by providing the parts that he makes but he is not willing to sell this repair to a non-Shelby GT owner as someone might use it to try and clone one of our cars. Anybody purchasing this fix has already bought the scoop from SAI via the purchase of their Shelby GT, Heath is merely fixing the cosmetic defects.

Shelby Automobiles Inc. does not have a bigger fan than Chip Beck. Never once, in a single post either on the Ford GT Forum or on this forum have I ever had a negative thing to say about the company or their products. I am now in the process of ordering my fourth Shelby automobile. Now, and in the future, if a weak link appears to me in the features or function of any of my cars that I am able to come up with a solution to, I am happy to share my findings with fellow owners so that all may benefit. Countless questions and problems that have arisen during my ownership of many types of cars have been solved in a similar fashion by answers I discovered in forums such as this. This free flow of information and the solutions uncovered benefit the entire owner body. That is as it should be and as it should remain.

All the best.

Chip

At the show at the Shelby American Collection yesterday it was pointed out that I'm getting hood stripe/scoop rot. The stripe on the hood next to the scoop is starting to "roll". Is this the problem? Mine were built in January and I thought this was all fixed by then. Also, I think it just happened over the past few days, not thta the temp has gotten warm enough to not have it in the garage.

At the show at the Shelby American Collection yesterday it was pointed out that I'm getting hood stripe/scoop rot. The stripe on the hood next to the scoop is starting to "roll". Is this the problem? Mine were built in January and I thought this was all fixed by then. Also, I think it just happened over the past few days, not thta the temp has gotten warm enough to not have it in the garage.

Tony - Yes, this is the problem they are talking about. There was a blue 2008 there with the exact same problem as yours and mine.

Mark

Gentlemen,

I don't know who Mr. Scott Drake is, but I have been asked by Bud at SAI if I was the Chip Beck that was involved in the replacement hood scoop thread. I told him that I was and that I hoped it was not creating any heartburn for SAI. His response to me was, "well actually, yes it is, but we haven't responded because we have not decided exactly what we are going to do about it yet". I don't know what he meant by that. I discussed this briefly with one of my attorneys and he assured me I have nothing to be concerned about...

I can take a guess what they mean by that. I would imagine that if this ever turns into a class action suit, your resolution could blow the "good faith effort" argument right out of the water.

The materials used on the stock Shelby GT hood scoop have been used with great success on many cars for a long time. Why are they failing in this application?

Gentlemen,

After close inspection it appears that the stock Shelby GT hood scoop is made out of a material identical to or nearly identical to the bumper covers of the Ford Mustang. Flexible and durable, this proven material lasts for years on the cars bumpers. The black foam rubber pillow that fills the scoop appears to be similar to the material underneath many flexible car bumpers. Again, it's proven good stuff that lasts for years in that application. So why won't it last on the hoods of our cars? Ask yourself the same question about the hood stripes which are easily damaged by the very slight expansion and contraction of the hood scoop.

The answer is temperature. Take your Shelby GT out for a nice long drive and then park it in your garage. Five minutes later put your hand on the front bumper, put your hand on the rear bumper, and then put your hand on the top of the hood scoop. Then put your hand on the bare hood metal around the hood scoop. The Mustang hood is almost too hot to touch when the car has been sitting for several minutes after shutting it off.

The stock Shelby GT hood scoop is made out of quality automotive grade materials with a proven track record. But this material was not designed to be used directly above an automobile engine where it is subjected to heat well beyond the design limits of this material. It works great as a bumper cover where it is not subject to extreme heat. It does not work great as an engine cover, where it is grilled with rising engine heat every time the car is shut down.

I am amazed at the amount of engine heat that billows up out of my now open hood scoop when my car is shut down. The top of my scoop is very hot to the touch but it cools down pretty quickly as the heat can flow out of the scoop opening. Even if my scoop was not open, the vinyl-ester resin material it is made out of is specifically designed to handle extreme heat and extreme cold.

These same high temperatures make the vinal stripes on the hoods of our cars softer and more easily damaged. The procedure to remove a vinyl stripe on an automobile is to heat it up with a hair dryer so the stripe will become soft and the glue adhering that stripe to the hood will soften as well. Once heated up like this, the stripe can be easily peeled off. This is the exact situation we have when you shut your car off. The hood of your car is red hot which softens both the stripes and the glue adhering them to your hood. Here we have the perfect storm to ruin the stripes on the hood of your car. As the plastic scoop heats up it expands, and as the stripes heat up they get softer and the glue holding them in place softens as well. The slight expansion of the hood scoop pushes on the heat softened stripes causing them to bunch up at the edges of the scoop.

In my opinion, if a hood scoop is going to be affixed to the surface of these aluminum hoods with vinyl stripes sandwiched in between the two, the material that the hood scoop is made out of has got to be extremely resistant to expansion and contraction even when it is heated to a great degree by rising engine heat or when it's frozen to well below zero when sitting outside in winter.

That's a pretty tall order. An aluminum scoop or a vinyl-ester resin fiberglas scoop can handle these temperature extremes without changing shape or expanding and contracting. I am sure there are other materials that can as well though I don't know what those would be. But I am reasonably certain that the currently used bumper cover material will never be a long-term solution. Again, I am not an engineer but I have been working for two decades with composite materials in extreme aviation environments.

I am not thin skinned, so please feel free to point out the errors in my reasoning and any points I have made that you believe to be incorrect. All the best.

Chip

Gentlemen,

I've had several requests for some better photos of the opening in my hood underneath my functional scoop. So here you go. This opening starts about 3 inches behind the front opening of the scoop so it is not readily apparent under casual observation. This scoop eliminates any clearance problems with the Ford Racing Whipple supercharger. As soon as my supercharger is installed we will take a clay mold to determine the exact amount of clearance between the top of the supercharger and the bottom of the hood scoop. This will allow us to finish our modification to the stock strut tower brace so that it may be used with the Whipple. The finished product will be powder coated black and we will of course incorporate that cool polished Ford Racing plaque in the middle of the strut tower brace.

After the car is shut down an amazing amount of heat pours out of that open scoop. The additional airflow in this area should help keep the Whipple cooler which may help its performance. Because our scoop is attached using Rivet-nuts, I was able to remove and reinstall my hood scoop to take these pictures in less than 10 minutes. Because of the way the Mustang hood is built, NONE of the hoods bracing is cut away to make this scoop opening.

I am having a brand-new take off Mustang hood shipped to Heath so that we can perform a second complete the install of one of these scoops to confirm the procedures and directions we will be shipping to those members who have ordered this fix. Heath and I have gone to great lengths to make this right, allow for a straightforward installation, and put the only problem that the Shelby GT has behind us.

I have had a blast helping to put this project together. I'm certain many of you will be enjoying it as well. All the best.

Chip

post-12804-1211441991.jpg

post-12804-1211441742.jpg

post-12804-1211441758.jpg

post-12804-1211441779.jpg

post-12804-1211441791.jpg

post-12804-1211441742.jpg

post-12804-1211441758.jpg

post-12804-1211441779.jpg

post-12804-1211441791.jpg

post-12804-1211441991.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Last Saturday I went to the Pavilion's car show to photograph the hood of a 1966 GT350 Mustang. As I evaluate how I want the hood of my car to look I use that car as a pattern as it appears that the 1966 GT350 is the car that our Shelby GTs were primarily patterned after. The 1966 GT350 had a fiberglass hood with the hood scoop molded into it. The 1966 GT350H however, in a manner very similar to our cars, had a fiberglass hood scoop mounted to the standard steel hood. Unfortunately, although this is a documented genuine GT350H, the owner had replaced the steel and fiberglass hood with an all fiberglass lightweight competition hood that he said Shelby sold in the mid-60s. Still, its appearance shows what the original cars looked like under the hood. There was no under hood insulation on these cars and the scoop was not hooked up to the air cleaner. It was primarily an air extractor or a form of under hood ventilation that might have kept the air around the air cleaner cooler. Then again, perhaps it did nothing at all as I don't really know. Still, it's the original 1966 look and that's what I'm aiming at.

The first time we mounted Heith's new fiberglass hood scoop, we mounted it to the uncut hood but we left the plastic block off plate at the front of the scoop off which gave it a more realistic appearance. The under hood insulation was of course still on the car. Taking it a step further we cut out the area underneath the hood scoop to make it functional (there is no hood bracing in this area and the perimeter of the under hood brace makes a natural template for this cut out) and we trimmed the under hood insulation away from that area. The bottom of the hood scoop was painted flat black and I think it looked pretty good. But it didn't look anything like the underside of the 1966 GT350 hood. So we went to step three. Heath completed the second generation of his hood scoop and this time he finished the bottom off as nicely as the top so it would look better for those members who use this scoop and want to make it functional. This second generation hood scoop is still in white primer but when we paint the stripes on the top we intend to paint the bottom bright white to match the bottom of the hood when the insulation is removed. Now I think it looks about as much like the original 1966 hood as possible. Below are photos of the 1966 hood top and bottom, my 2007 SGT hood top and bottom as they look today, and the last photo is the bottom of my hood the way it looked functional but with the insulation in place and the bottom of the scoop painted flat black.

I like the appearance best without the insulation and with the bottom of the scoop painted white. I am asking for member feedback, please don't be afraid of offending me as I welcome your comments.

Do you think that. A.--It looks better functional with the bottom of the hood white and without the insulation. Or B.--It looks better functional but with the insulation in place and the bottom of the scoop painted flat black. C.--It would look better with the hood uncut and the scoop nonfunctional but without the black plastic block off plate installed. D.--Better WITH the black plastic block off plate installed. E.--I am a blockhead and a complete blithering idiot for having messed with the hood in the first place and should have left it alone!!

I like option A and don't intend to change it but I am interested in TS member opinions. My sweetheart Veronica, considering the amount of time and money I have expended on this project, voted for option E!!!

Chip

post-12804-1212437839.jpg

post-12804-1212437839.jpg

Underside of my hood today.

post-12804-1212438096.jpg

Chip,

Any chance of you just sending me YOUR hood??? :drool: I promise I'll send you mine in return...

J/K ~ But that looks absolutely PERFECT without the insulation and with the cutout for scoop...

Looks like I have found my "off-season" project for next winter... Just need to send Heath all my hard earned $$$... THANKS!

Gregg

07SGT0547

And finally. Who is this Heath guy and what does he normally do for a living? He normally builds things out of composite materials a bit more complicated than automobile hood scoops. Here are photos of three projects he is currently in the middle of. I would imagine the tail section of the first one endures more heat than could be generated by any automobile. It's a Viper jet, they are constructed of composite materials, not aluminum, and capable of speeds in excess of .9 Mach. The second photo is that of a Lancair IV, it is currently the fastest four seat piston driven aircraft in the world. The third is a GlaStar utility aircraft that Heath both built and installed an all glass cockpit into. When it comes to building accurate and extremely durable hood scoops, I believe he's more than capable.

Chip

post-12804-1212440386.jpg

post-12804-1212440407.jpg

post-12804-1212440484.jpg

post-12804-1212440386.jpg

post-12804-1212440407.jpg

post-12804-1212440484.jpg

Archived