TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Mustang News

Venix

It would really be cool if the new 5.0 would drop right into the current model. Not that I would do that or anything...

I have seen the future, and let me just say that while the body lines have indeed changed, they are subtile enough that if you passed a 2010 on the freeway, you would have to take a second look at it in order to determine that it's not an 05 to 09 bodied Stang with aftermarket tail lamps. The tail lamps, grille, and head lamp housings are different, but the rest of the changes on the car would be considered "soft".

But the interior and powerplant is a different story....

Was the 2010 you saw a GT or a GT500?

GT.

I have seen the future, and let me just say that while the body lines have indeed changed, they are subtile enough that if you passed a 2010 on the freeway, you would have to take a second look at it in order to determine that it's not an 05 to 09 bodied Stang with aftermarket tail lamps. The tail lamps, grille, and head lamp housings are different, but the rest of the changes on the car would be considered "soft".

But the interior and powerplant is a different story....

Since you've seen the future, how would you compare the change in exterior styling between the current model and the 2010 vs changes between the '94 model and the '99 (this was also a mid-cycle refresh)? Are the changes made on the 2010 on the outside more important or more subtle than the changes made then?

Since you've seen the future, how would you compare the change in exterior styling between the current model and the 2010 vs changes between the '94 model and the '99 (this was also a mid-cycle refresh)? Are the changes made on the 2010 on the outside more important or more subtle than the changes made then?

If I understand your question correctly, in comparsion, the changes that occured to the Stang's styling from the 98' MY over to the 99' MY would be considered significant (radical) campared to the differences between the 2010 body and the current body.

Essentally, take the current body, soften (round off) some of the sharp edges, change the headlamp housings and tail lamps, and you'll have the 2010 body.

The roof line and "bustle" (the rear deck area above the rear wheel arches where the roof ends) look almost identical to current styling, but the corners of the rear bumper cover just to the aft of the rear wheel wells are slightly more rounded than current. The wheel arches are still pronounced, but smoother. The hood and grille are more tapered, meaning that the leading edge of hood drops down more sharply than the current hood, and that in turn requires that the grille be narrower from top to bottom. The narrower grille is why the headlamp housings are different.

In August of 2009, when you see your first 2010 Mustang in person driving down the street or on the highway, other than instantly noticing the new lamps and front grille, as far as the rest of the body, you would have to take a second look to confirm that it's a 2010 Mustang that you're looking at.

A few months ago, someone posted a link to a picture of a prototype Mustang that was dark red and listed as the projected 2010 body. The car in that picture, while not an exact rendition of what I saw, is pretty darn close to what's coming.

Generally speaking, most radical body changes occur every 10 model years or so. If that holds true for the current body style, while it will definately be morphed over the next 7 years, I would not expect to see a radically different looking body style until 2015.

I also suspect that considering the new CAFE standards, one good thing that will happen to the 2015 Mustang will be the greater use of composite materals and aluminum engine blocks along with lighter transmission housings in order to reduce the overall weight of the car. Ligher cars burn less fuel so I would not be suprised to see the engineers take 800 to 1,000 pounds off of the car just by using more composites and aluminum when designing the car.

If I understand your question correctly, in comparsion, the changes that occured to the Stang's styling from the 98' MY over to the 99' MY would be considered significant (radical) campared to the differences between the 2010 body and the current body.

Essentally, take the current body, soften (round off) some of the sharp edges, change the headlamp housings and tail lamps, and you'll have the 2010 body.

The roof line and "bustle" (the rear deck area above the rear wheel arches where the roof ends) look almost identical to current styling, but the corners of the rear bumper cover just to the aft of the rear wheel wells are slightly more rounded than current. The wheel arches are still pronounced, but smoother. The hood and grille are more tapered, meaning that the leading edge of hood drops down more sharply than the current hood, and that in turn requires that the grille be narrower from top to bottom. The narrower grille is why the headlamp housings are different.

In August of 2009, when you see your first 2010 Mustang in person driving down the street or on the highway, other than instantly noticing the new lamps and front grille, as far as the rest of the body, you would have to take a second look to confirm that it's a 2010 Mustang that you're looking at.

A few months ago, someone posted a link to a picture of a prototype Mustang that was dark red and listed as the projected 2010 body. The car in that picture, while not an exact rendition of what I saw, is pretty darn close to what's coming.

Generally speaking, most radical body changes occur every 10 model years or so. If that holds true for the current body style, while it will definately be morphed over the next 7 years, I would not expect to see a radically different looking body style until 2015.

I also suspect that considering the new CAFE standards, one good thing that will happen to the 2015 Mustang will be the greater use of composite materals and aluminum engine blocks along with lighter transmission housings in order to reduce the overall weight of the car. Ligher cars burn less fuel so I would not be suprised to see the engineers take 800 to 1,000 pounds off of the car just by using more composites and aluminum when designing the car.

Thanks Son of GT. That's a very good explanation of what the 2010 will look like. I'm glad to see that changes won't be too radical. This way, our cars won't look obsolete overnight.

I agree with you that 2015 is probably the year we will see a totally new Mustang on the road, probably using a completely new rear drive platform. Shaving 800 to 1,000 to this car's weight seems like a lot though. Although I wish they would reduce the weight significantly, if they keep the next generation car roughly the same size as the current one, saving this much weight would probably increase the price substantially. Ford would definitely need to find a way to keep the costs down, as part of the Mustang's appeal lies in its affordibility.

That being said, at around 2,800-3,000 pounds, a direct injection twin turbo V6 Mustang would perform great and get decent fuel economy. Although I love big V8s, I guess weight reduction, not increased engine size will be the way car makers use to increase performance in the future.

We are lucky to have those 5.4 engines in our gt500....I think that our shelbys will be sought after for a long time to come.

do not count on that....the new 5.0L is going to have an affect on resale value as far as shelbygt's are concerned....i would agree the safest bet are the gt500's...but anything can change..mainly economic...as an example gas prices jumped 20cents overnight here to 3.79.....i agree with you on paper..the unknown is what is coming for the gt500 out of dearborn...especially consider a new 6.2L hurricane in the gt500

Thanks Son of GT. That's a very good explanation of what the 2010 will look like. I'm glad to see that changes won't be too radical. This way, our cars won't look obsolete overnight.

I agree with you that 2015 is probably the year we will see a totally new Mustang on the road, probably using a completely new rear drive platform. Shaving 800 to 1,000 to this car's weight seems like a lot though. Although I wish they would reduce the weight significantly, if they keep the next generation car roughly the same size as the current one, saving this much weight would probably increase the price substantially. Ford would definitely need to find a way to keep the costs down, as part of the Mustang's appeal lies in its affordibility.

That being said, at around 2,800-3,000 pounds, a direct injection twin turbo V6 Mustang would perform great and get decent fuel economy. Although I love big V8s, I guess weight reduction, not increased engine size will be the way car makers use to increase performance in the future.

Essentally, that's how the Europeans have been doing it for years. Light cars with small displacement engines that put out significant horsepower to acheve an optimum power to weight ratio.

Oh that sounds music to me...i will trade in the moment it happens in a heart beat.

you and me both brother...if it happens...no need to buy old iron at that moment..you will have the beast of all shelby's ever built....4.6L/5.4L will look and act like a mopar slant 6 in comparison

A 2008 Mustang with a Performance Inc. body kit.

Thanks for sharing!

Wow, great job and description! This more or less confirms what I thought and heard for a while now. The "big" changes everyone was so excited about, just are not there, nor worth even considering trading in our current cars for. Bottom line, they made the car look cleaner, almost less mean. The changes, while some may enjoy, just do not mean much to me. I still think I will like the current lines better. After all, the more people talk about changes, the more things seems the same!

August 09?????

Rumor is 09 is only going to be about a 6 month run which would mean the 2010 would be out by Jan - Feb 09

Looks Very Good!

Mustang News

Mustang's long-rumored restyle has now slipped back to the 2010 models, two years later than first planned. Ford's well-publicized financial woes get the blame, but won't keep Mustang from getting a new V8. Timing is unclear, but the engine will be part of Ford's new "Hurricane" family, with a 5.8- or 6.2-liter version most likely for the ponycar. As for the restyle, one source projects a much sleeker and less retro look, though the classic long-hood/short-deck proportions will remain. Meantime, Ford is promising more special editions to keep Mustang sales moving. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...
I would be the same way...when i took a photo of the test mule i did not have a chance to snap a good pic of the front but it sure from the outline of the cover looked smoother than our model.....

ford internal memo floating around stating 1-31-09 is end of 09 production...2010's be here shortly if rumor mongers are to be believed

ford internal memo floating around stating 1-31-09 is end of 09 production...2010's be here shortly if rumor mongers are to be believed

It's no rumor.

Schedule shows 2009 mustang Job 1 starts on 5/27/08. Last day to order is 12/19/08. Last day of production 1/30/09.

2010 will start production in Feb 2009.

There is a rumor 2009 is it for GT500. There won't be a 2010. But this is just a rumor and I haven't seen anything from Ford on this part.

But with Jan 09 being the last month of production for 2009 this means a LOT LESS GT500's for 2009 and good chance a lot of dealers may not get a 2009 to sell.

So at this point I would say anyone still waiting should jump on a MSRP deal if they find one, because chances are the ADM's can go up again, especially if the rumor about 09 being it for GT500 is true.

It's no rumor.

Schedule shows 2009 mustang Job 1 starts on 5/27/08. Last day to order is 12/19/08. Last day of production 1/30/09.

2010 will start production in Feb 2009.

There is a rumor 2009 is it for GT500. There won't be a 2010. But this is just a rumor and I haven't seen anything from Ford on this part.

But with Jan 09 being the last month of production for 2009 this means a LOT LESS GT500's for 2009 and good chance a lot of dealers may not get a 2009 to sell.

So at this point I would say anyone still waiting should jump on a MSRP deal if they find one, because chances are the ADM's can go up again, especially if the rumor about 09 being it for GT500 is true.

gotta wonder whats in the pipeline we dont have a clue about...wonder how SAI is going to be viable without some model of any volume..may be gt350...i dunno

Would it be possible that Shelby will use the 2010 model year to develope then new GT500? It took them a couple of years after the 2005 models came out to develope the current GT500. Maybe Shelby has something bigger and better they are working on for the new car.

gotta wonder whats in the pipeline we dont have a clue about...wonder how SAI is going to be viable without some model of any volume..may be gt350...i dunno

Rumor was no more GT500. Not that there won't be any more Shelbys.

I suspect a GT350 will be coming out eventually. Whether they build at Ford like the GT500 or send a GT MUstang to SAI like the SGT remains a mystery. BUt either way I'm sure one will come out.

Ford may also come out with new Shelbys. Just because they only made GT350's and GT500's in the 60's does not mean they can't come out with some type of new Shelby model. The SGT was a new model, so why not others?

And if Ford doesn't come out with it I'm sure SAI can still come out with different models. This would be no different than Ford shipping cars to Roush and Saleen and the hundreds of other aftermarket companies that do conversions on new vehicles.

So I'm sure SAI will have lots to do regardless of what Ford decides to do.

Archived