TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe Question

Well,

I think I finally may have found a stablemate for my 66...she's an unrented unit, one of the 50 cars that were made available to Hertz execs and long-time licensees to not put into rental service... Anyway, in spite of very low miles, there is a scratch on the left quarter panel and as far as I know, there is no way to blend clear on two stage paint for a lasting repair, so while the base black can be blended, the entire quarter will have to cleared. This gives rise to a problem with the stripe over the rocker on the lower quarter. Mask the stripe and you get an edge...definately not good. The correct repair would be to remove the stripe, clear the quarter, replace the stripe, but does any anyone have any info on replacement stripes? Are they exact to the originals and are they availble at all?

Thanks,

Fred

Well,

I think I finally may have found a stablemate for my 66...she's an unrented unit, one of the 50 cars that were made available to Hertz execs and long-time licensees to not put into rental service... Anyway, in spite of very low miles, there is a scratch on the left quarter panel and as far as I know, there is no way to blend clear on two stage paint for a lasting repair, so while the base black can be blended, the entire quarter will have to cleared. This gives rise to a problem with the stripe over the rocker on the lower quarter. Mask the stripe and you get an edge...definately not good. The correct repair would be to remove the stripe, clear the quarter, replace the stripe, but does any anyone have any info on replacement stripes? Are they exact to the originals and are they availble at all?

Thanks,

Fred

This sounds like there are a lot of twists and turns ahead for you. I would start with SAI and see what they can come up with.

Many folks here have replaced their vinyl tape with paint. I know you prolly won't agree with this, but replacing both lower tape stripes (L&R) is something to consider if you are going to take the car on the road. There are future hazards to consider, i.e. rock chips and so on...

This sounds like there are a lot of twists and turns ahead for you. I would start with SAI and see what they can come up with.

Many folks here have replaced their vinyl tape with paint. I know you prolly won't agree with this, but replacing both lower tape stripes (L&R) is something to consider if you are going to take the car on the road. There are future hazards to consider, i.e. rock chips and so on...

Paint would be nice. I'm sure you know you can buy the old GT350H paint which I thought would be awesome on these cars. I so wish I was fortunate to be able to own two cause you are doing what I would...so let me live through you! :)

Any sign shop can help you out, alot cheaper too and the quality of the stripe itself is very good.

Archived