TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ALL THOSE WITH A DONE 40TH

So I am finally getting some good weather to drive my car and check out all the 40th goodies that were done. I'm driving in my neighborhood in first gear, slow and I notice the car has a serious shimmy in the rear end. I'm also hearing what sounds like a rubbing, but I can't quite make out where or what. Getting up to speed on the freeway, the shimmy seems to go away but the car is pulling to the left. So what do you guys think, alignment, balance? I don't notice any obvious problems with the rims. I'm at a loss but there is also alot of rear end chatter, like something is loose.

I can't speak first hand as I do not own a converted car...

When the cars were lowered I think I remember some people not getting an adjustible pan hard rod to center the rear back under the car. Check to see if your wheels stick out more on the driver side rear than the passenger side rear. I would also take it to a shop with a lift and get under it and look it over good for the rubbing.

Good luck.

I can't speak first hand as I do not own a converted car...

When the cars were lowered I think I remember some people not getting an adjustible pan hard rod to center the rear back under the car. Check to see if your wheels stick out more on the driver side rear than the passenger side rear. I would also take it to a shop with a lift and get under it and look it over good for the rubbing.

Good luck.

I had an adj. panhard on before the conversion and SAI took it off to put the 40th parts on. I looked at the rear end and the wheels look centered. I am planning to get the car up on a rack and check everything out. Thanks for the input mrfarmdog.

I hope once a conversion is finished. The car is test driven? Does anybody know the standard procedure?? :happy feet:

I'm certain I was told they do test them (I had about 20 more miles on the car when I first saw it then when I released it for transport to Shelby). I was having my car trucked back from Shelby (I used Accurate Auto Carriers and was pleased with the service). I wanted to make sure everything was ok with the car before it went on the truck so I went over to Shelby to pick up my take-off parts and test drove the car while I was there. The only problem I've noticed since getting the car back is that with the traction control on I'm still smoking the tires on launch. What a rough problem to have, huh?

So I am finally getting some good weather to drive my car and check out all the 40th goodies that were done. I'm driving in my neighborhood in first gear, slow and I notice the car has a serious shimmy in the rear end. I'm also hearing what sounds like a rubbing, but I can't quite make out where or what. Getting up to speed on the freeway, the shimmy seems to go away but the car is pulling to the left. So what do you guys think, alignment, balance? I don't notice any obvious problems with the rims. I'm at a loss but there is also alot of rear end chatter, like something is loose.

No shimmy or pulling in any direction on mine. I do get a rubbing sound occasionally in the rear but I cannot find evidence of anything rubbing. Mine occurs at very slow speed when making a tight turn, like backing into a parking spot.

Since I have not noticed anything at speed, including some fairly quick tight turns in the San Bernadino mountains, I've been ignoring it since it doesn't seem serious nor does it seem to be getting worse. :shrug:

Maybe the pan hard need adjusting?

No shimmy or pulling in any direction on mine. I do get a rubbing sound occasionally in the rear but I cannot find evidence of anything rubbing. Mine occurs at very slow speed when making a tight turn, like backing into a parking spot.

Since I have not noticed anything at speed, including some fairly quick tight turns in the San Bernadino mountains, I've been ignoring it since it doesn't seem serious nor does it seem to be getting worse. :shrug:

Maybe the pan hard need adjusting?

I'm thinking this sounds like the problem I'm having, but mine sounds like a rubbing at very low speeds going straight but only after the car sits overnight; after I drive it, it goes away. I've looked and cannot see any evidence of any rubbing, maybe I should just not worry about it :banghead:

Check this thread re: your rubbing noises.....

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26205

I had no rubbing noises until I put my stock wheels and tirees back on. I believe the rear brake duct housing is rubbing the tire. It did not do that with the Razors.

As for the shake and shimmy, SAI put 70 miles on my car and I don't understand how the wheels can have the severe imbalance they have and it was not noticed while in Vegas. I have the rims and tires at Goodyear as I type for a second time to rebalance and help diagnose. I was ready to take the car into Ford thinking I had a d/s or axle issue., until I put the stock wheels back on and the shake and shimmy disappeared.

Archived