TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 shelby GT

BCR1990

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so hello to everyone here. I have what might be a silly question so here it goes. Should I undercoat and rust proof my 2007 Shelby GT? Its brand new and I only intend on driving the car in nice weather and storing it in the winter. I live in Illinois and my garage is not climate controlled.

Thanks

Hello & welcome BCR....

Some have encountered significant surface rust on their cars underside (rear end) from day one and have gone to lengths to remove it and protect accordingly.

I have over 6000 miles on my car and have had it since last June, dont drive in the rain and is garage kept, the underside is perfect.

I guess the question is do you already have a rust condition.

Hello & welcome BCR....

Some have encountered significant surface rust on their cars underside (rear end) from day one and have gone to lengths to remove it and protect accordingly.

I have over 6000 miles on my car and have had it since last June, dont drive in the rain and is garage kept, the underside is perfect.

I guess the question is do you already have a rust condition.

I have not looked under the car to inspect it. I will take a look and see. I'm guessing there must be something there since it is an 07 and when the dealers have these cars they don't care when the car gets test driven.

Thanks

My SGT was purchased new from a dealer in Florida. I drove home to OHIO and there was no rain on the way. Drove all the way to Texas and then on to AZ, still, not a drop of rain. Car has been in storage in AZ for 6 months and it has a lot of surface rust underneath. It is not just the climate or driving conditions.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so hello to everyone here. I have what might be a silly question so here it goes. Should I undercoat and rust proof my 2007 Shelby GT? Its brand new and I only intend on driving the car in nice weather and storing it in the winter. I live in Illinois and my garage is not climate controlled.

Thanks

It didnt roll of the assembly line rust proof. If you are going to keep the car for a collector, this is something to think about. MCA would count off points for undercoat. I dont know about Shelby judges.

I rustproofed mine right away. The car is always garage kept and never driven in the winter, even so It's best to undercoat it living here in WISC. We use salt to clear the roads of ice, great for the road, bad for your car. Get your car undercoated it can't hurt your car and it'll last longer, I'll give you a perfect example..........right now I'm taking the body of a 67 galaxie 500, the spots that have the coating are perfect, the areas that have no rustproofing are rusted and almost gone, thats 41 years of hard driving.

Archived