TEAM SHELBY FORUM

cs6 front fascia

scrapp

I took my car in to the shop to get the front facsia put on and the , foam behind the cover had to be removed . and the sides are flared out so far it is to hard to push them back without a lot of stress on the bolts , and possibly tearing the holes out . is there some trick or something we are missing . I have it tied up end to end trying to pull it back in. Is this something that has been an problem. And am I doing something wrong, please help with some advise.

scrapp

thank you

I took my car in to the shop to get the front facsia put on and the , foam behind the cover had to be removed . and the sides are flared out so far it is to hard to push them back without a lot of stress on the bolts , and possibly tearing the holes out . is there some trick or something we are missing . I have it tied up end to end trying to pull it back in. Is this something that has been an problem. And am I doing something wrong, please help with some advise.

scrapp

thank you

I believe that the hard foam needs to be shaved on the outer left and right side. I do recall having to do that to mine and I had no problems after that. I do remember on the older forum site someone had posted pics of this phase of his project. The pictures were very detailed and I used his techniques to achive my results. Also, I think even SAI outlines some instruction to having to shave off the outer edges for proper fitment.

that deffently helps on that question, of the foam peace , thank you. any tips on why the sides of the fascia are flared out and how I might be able to get them lined up with the fender . The guy that is painting them told me to tie them end to end , and warm it up and it would come back in , is this an good way?

that deffently helps on that question, of the foam peace , thank you. any tips on why the sides of the fascia are flared out and how I might be able to get them lined up with the fender . The guy that is painting them told me to tie them end to end , and warm it up and it would come back in , is this an good way?

Measure exactly and drill holes in the new fascia to correspond with the original at the wheel well area and simply through brute force push it into place until you can get screws in the holes.

We removed the front wheels and it took two people as it was really stiff.

It does help if you do it in a warm environment or apply some heat but you have to be careful not to heat it too much or you will leave impressions when you push on the part.

if you don't have enough material removed from the front foam you can't pull the fascia down far enough to get it aligned.

Good luck..

The shop that did mine had a hell of a time getting a good fit. They called me up saying it doesn't fit. After some research on other forums I found some pictures of the foam actually shaved as well as the tip of applying heat to gently pull the sides in. I brought them the pictures of the foam shaved, they said it was against the law to trim the foam- I slid the guy a $50 and said the foam was "already that way"!! You don't use the factory white mounts from the old bumper. Use some screws to attach the turn signals. With shaving the foam and a warm shop with a heat gun (carefully) working it in it will fit, just takes some patience! Good luck- it's not the best fitting front facia out there :censored: and the grill kit is a "night mare"- don't trust there template!!

You know it's a great thing to be consistent but not so great if it's consistently bad.

Some of us original Guinea pigs that bought these CS6/CS8 packages a couple of years ago had daily posts of the trials and tribulations of attempting to assemble these vehicles.

We were on a mission to report every single flaw and installation glitch to help SAI produce a better product and reduce the headache and expense others might experience while assembling one of these vehicles.

The poor quality, fit and finish of the hoods, the lack of instruction for the fascia and turn signals, incorrect data for drilling holes and other aspects of mounting the grill etc. are well documented and I find it hard to believe SAI is still releasing these kits in the same condition they did a couple of years ago.

What I don't understand is when these vehicles are complete they are one of the nicest looking S197 vehicles on the planet but the whole process from purchasing the product, long lead times, lack of provided information for installation etc. leaves such a bad taste in your mouth it takes much longer than necessary to really start to enjoy your vehicle the way you should.

It wouldn't take much to refine these kits so installation / assembly was simplified and why they are still being produced in the manner they are is beyond me.

I agree, I am still to scared to buy the hood after reading all of the night mare install stories!! I have the 24 mm off set Shelby Razor rims being shipped right now and still hope I made the right choice-Why does American Racing-who makes the wheels say a 40mm offset and Shelby say 24mm!?

When I got my front fascia , the lower grill would not fit at all , as to the width was to short , hight of it was to tall . I tried to get with them to send me another one and they never would call back , or even send an email.So i gave up on ever hearing anything from them. So I, bought an Shelby magazine, and there was an grey CS6 , in it and showed an small picture of the lower grill , it had been redisgned to look like the upper grill . So I barrow there idea. thanks who evers car that was. good idea.

scrapp

I agree, I am still to scared to buy the hood after reading all of the night mare install stories!! I have the 24 mm off set Shelby Razor rims being shipped right now and still hope I made the right choice-Why does American Racing-who makes the wheels say a 40mm offset and Shelby say 24mm!?

There are three offsets/backspacing for these wheels. When I spoke to SPP and asked about the 40mm offset the salesguy replied we don't sell 40mm, we have 6" backspacing and 6.5 backspacing.

Long story short, use this math.

40mm = 6.5 Backspacing, Tucks the wheels under under the fender

24mm = 6.0 Backspacing, Pushes the wheels out slightly past the fender lip

12mm = 5.5 backspacing, Pushes the wheels out way past the fender lip (I think these are the 18" version)

Also note the 24mm versions are now actually 22mm. The box will say +24mm (+2) offset. This is to accommodate the big brake package on the GT500's

As for the foam, I fitted my own fascia and I removed the stock foam all together but did leave the joint piece that goes on the top of the bumber (this helps keep the seem tight against the bottom of the grill. To correct the sides flaring I just went to Home Depot and bought 2 strips of aluminum and made a couple of brackets that you can see in the pic below. I drilled a few different holes on the underside of the fascia at both sides so now the flare is adjustable.

2336817024_eefc6f79fb_o.jpg

GPStang06 are those different backspacing on your rims? How come the back ones appear to stick out more?

Yes they are, +40mm in the front and +24 in the back. I did not plan it that way and the boxes all said +24 on them but I didn't notice it until they where on the car so I has the +40mm put on the front. I like the look now and I had already staggered the tires so not rotating was something I had planned for.

All good.

Yes they are, +40mm in the front and +24 in the back. I did not plan it that way and the boxes all said +24 on them but I didn't notice it until they where on the car so I has the +40mm put on the front. I like the look now and I had already staggered the tires so not rotating was something I had planned for.

All good.

....So are they 275-35's, 255-35's, or something different on the back? How about the front size? I ask because I haven't ordered the tires yet, as I am waiting for the rims to arrive. ( Sucks being in Canada-it seems to take so long to get stuff shipped here, Customs...ect...!!)

The staggered look you got going on is pretty cool!

....So are they 275-35's, 255-35's, or something different on the back? How about the front size? I ask because I haven't ordered the tires yet, as I am waiting for the rims to arrive. ( Sucks being in Canada-it seems to take so long to get stuff shipped here, Customs...ect...!!)

The staggered look you got going on is pretty cool!

Thanks! It worked out well.

The setup is as follows

Front: 20X9 +40mm 255/35/20

Rear: 20X9 +24mm 255/35/20

With +24mm all the way around 255/35's in the front and 275's in the rear looks good. 275's on the +24mm in the front would be to much tire up there

The other common setup I have seen such as on Paleoc's car is 255/35/20's all the way around with +24mm offset.

Archived