TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Regarding hail damage

fatboy

yup just talked to insurance adjuster. they are goin to give me about $5500.00.

he put down for replacing the hood and repair everything else.

and replace the stripes and scoop and the S H E L B Y trunk letters.

i know all the dents wont be able to be PDR'd. the rest will have to be done conventionally with sanding and paint if i decide it. unless i just want to replace the body parts, which means i'll probably be going into the "dipping into my pocket" territory.

sand and repaint the rest of the dings is the cheapest way but i hate repainting and bondo a new freakin car :jackinbox:

well what do u think guys? i think i'll go bury myself :goodnight:

The whole story saddens me.. I really feel bad about what happened.

I would definitely replace the hood. I think it's time for the Hertz hood.

Is there any room for argument with your claim? I would try to get more money from insurance because of how new your car is and the fact that it's a Shelby.

Oh, it might also be a good time to get the stripes painted on..

Good luck.

I hope it covers you.

+1

The stripes are expensive and if he just used typical striping material by the yard it's not going to be anywhere near close enough. To re-stripe the entire car will run, I think, over $800 in stripes alone. I base this on what it cost me for the hood, roof and rear deck and lower facia. You might want to call Ford Racing and get a price quote. These will have to be ordered through them and you'll seen to supply pictures of the damage and pics of the CSM plaque etc., to prove it's the car in the pics and not a stolen VIN #.

I would buy a factory take off before I'd go with a repair to the existing hood.

yup just talked to insurance adjuster. they are goin to give me about $5500.00.

he put down for replacing the hood and repair everything else.

and replace the stripes and scoop and the S H E L B Y trunk letters.

i know all the dents wont be able to be PDR'd. the rest will have to be done conventionally with sanding and paint if i decide it. unless i just want to replace the body parts, which means i'll probably be going into the "dipping into my pocket" territory.

sand and repaint the rest of the dings is the cheapest way but i hate repainting and bondo a new freakin car :jackinbox:

well what do u think guys? i think i'll go bury myself :goodnight:

I would have any body panels just replaced. Hood, front fenders, trunklid, etc. It should be cheaper than removing all the dents and will be better.

They should be able to take out dents in the roof without having to use any bondo. If the paint isn't chipped or cracked where any dents are they shouldn't even have to repaint that and be able to remove the dents.

We had a customer that had bad hail damage. The car looked like a machine gun hit it! It was BAD!

That cost him $3,500 to fix everything at our body shop.

BTW....even if they had to repaint anything due to the paint being chipped or crack, they should still be able to remove the dents without having to fill anything with bondo.

But I would definitely get the hood anf fenders just replaced VS having them remove all the dents.

I would have any body panels just replaced. Hood, front fenders, trunklid, etc. It should be cheaper than removing all the dents and will be better.

They should be able to take out dents in the roof without having to use any bondo. If the paint isn't chipped or cracked where any dents are they shouldn't even have to repaint that and be able to remove the dents.

We had a customer that had bad hail damage. The car looked like a machine gun hit it! It was BAD!

That cost him $3,500 to fix everything at our body shop.

BTW....even if they had to repaint anything due to the paint being chipped or crack, they should still be able to remove the dents without having to fill anything with bondo.

But I would definitely get the hood anf fenders just replaced VS having them remove all the dents.

yeah almost every body panel has some hail damage if i repaint it will have to be the whole car and that alone will cost more than half the money they gave me. there are places where the dents are near creases like just above the car door window. and on a corner near the trunk lid. the insurance guy says those are the hardest to remove. and he says the roof will probably need repainted because u dont want that cut out and replaced, blah blah blah. and i was like no no i dont want this car repainted. i'd rather just replace the sheetmetal. he says that the trunk and rest of the body didnt sustain enough damage for us (insurance company) to pay for replacement panels, blah, blah, blah.

i dont want bondo all over my car. i'm goin to try to see if the dents can be pulled or pushed up and go from there.

about the stripes and the scoop, i told him those were done at SAI in Vegas. what bugs me is that some of the other people that were there were getting more money for older cars. this guy wasnt my insurance agent anyway. he and the other adjusters that were there were from out of town. this was in the back of a hotel parking lot. maybe i should talk to my own agent when everyone else gets thier claims out of the way and try to negotiate? i dont know.

one thing is that i still have a loan on this car. u'd think Chase Auto Finance (my title holder) would've negotiate for more money. i dont know how all that works, or even if the finance company has any say so. i'll talk to my dad when he gets home. see what he thinks. i know he'll crap a brick when he see's that i'm only gettin under $6000.

the more i think about it the madder i get.

i wish i knew the stripes alone cost $800 i would have told him.

Get some estimates, including one from the dealer, and take these to your insurance company and ask to have the car looked at again and the amount revised.

yea i'm goin to do that. i'm goin to Ford and have them do an estimate. i'm not even goin to mention about already seeing the adjuster. i'm just goin to get ford to shoot me a price and what all they can do with the car and how they will fix it? and what options they have. then if its higher than what the insurance gave me i'll try to negotiate with the insurance.

i talked to a neighbor and he used to do body work. he says they can get all the dents out if its just hail damage. they can use those suction cup devices and not have to go under the paneling. as far as the dings over the area of the stripes the stripes might need to be pulled up to get to the paint with the suction cup gadget. unless they can get from underneith.

i'll just have to cross the bridge when i get to it and see what can be done. my neighbor says the local Ford has a good body shop but they are a little pricey.

just have to be optomistic about it. whatever the case i dont think it'll need any bondo work anywhere on the car. if it does i'm just goin to replace it if i can.

edit: i'm goin to look into gettin an awning or something to cover the car before another cloud decides to take a dump on my car....oh that reminds me ....yesterday i went out to wash my car in the driveway and saw massive bird poops all over my passenger window and part of windshield where the glass was CRACKED by the hail. :blink: what are the odds? its just not been my month. oh and i got the car bill in the mail. :drop:

I feel for you. When it rains, it pours :( I would deffinitely get an estimate from a Ford dealer and keep mentioning it is a Shelby. hmmm, maybe you could get something in writing from SAI attesting to the price of the parts. Then go back to your adjuster and get more money. I would also try to save any original body panels before I would put on replacement pieces and try to avoid a repaint at all cost.

I feel for you. When it rains, it pours :( I would deffinitely get an estimate from a Ford dealer and keep mentioning it is a Shelby. hmmm, maybe you could get something in writing from SAI attesting to the price of the parts. Then go back to your adjuster and get more money. I would also try to save any original body panels before I would put on replacement pieces and try to avoid a repaint at all cost.

does the Shelby window sticker list the items that SAI installed? i still have the sticker...i just cant remember what it has on it. i'll look at it sometime.

The more I read into the whole situation, the more I realize that $5500 is not enough money. Whenever we have had to make insurance claims, we've never taken their first offer- we always prove to them that our claim is worth more..

Get proof from multiple dealerships/body shops that it will cost more than their offer to fix your car.. Contact SAI (although doesn't it cost money now to talk to Amy? :hysterical: ).. Don't give up on this.. your car is not just a run-of-the-mill V6'er or a Toyota.. it deserves more than a bondo job and a new hood.

Also, not to rain on your parade even more.. but, there is nothing like factory paint.. I had a 2004 GT that had panels repainted (long story) and the paint never held up.. bird droppings INSTANTLY burned through, it chipped easier, etc.

Since they aren't going to replace the damaged parts, you should ask for an additional adjustment for "diminished value".

see i wish i could have known all this. i went by myself. i had no help. didnt know what to tell them other than it being a Shelby and it wasnt an ordinary mustang. but i didnt know how much the cost was on the Shelby parts. the guy OBVIOUSLY DIDNT know anything about Shelbys because he asked me if i did the stripe work and stuff and i said "no SAI did it" and he asked "did they do it after you bought the car?" and i said..."nooooo. i bought the car like this from Ford dealership and the dealership bought it from SAI." i also told him i had the Shelby window sticker in the car. but he didnt even ask to look at it.

definately replacing the hood, probably be cheaper. its gonna need restriped anyway if they are goin to be poking and prodding on the car. the trunk lid isnt that bad.

how do they replace the body panels on this car? i thought they were spot welded on. if you look at the rear fender its a really big piece of real estate because it goes all the way from the tail light to the driver's or passenger door and its all part of the back pillars and it goes over the window of the door on the outer edge of the roof all the way down to the front pillar. then stops where it meets the hood and front fender :blink:

how do they replace the body panels on this car? i thought they were spot welded on. if you look at the rear fender its a really big piece of real estate because it goes all the way from the tail light to the driver's or passenger door and its all part of the back pillars and it goes over the window of the door on the outer edge of the roof all the way down to the front pillar. then stops where it meets the hood and front fender :blink:

It will all become clearer to you once you go to s few body shops and learn your options. Find the best one you can in your area.

The more I read into the whole situation, the more I realize that $5500 is not enough money. Whenever we have had to make insurance claims, we've never taken their first offer- we always prove to them that our claim is worth more..

Get proof from multiple dealerships/body shops that it will cost more than their offer to fix your car.. Contact SAI (although doesn't it cost money now to talk to Amy? :hysterical: ).. Don't give up on this.. your car is not just a run-of-the-mill V6'er or a Toyota.. it deserves more than a bondo job and a new hood.

Also, not to rain on your parade even more.. but, there is nothing like factory paint.. I had a 2004 GT that had panels repainted (long story) and the paint never held up.. bird droppings INSTANTLY burned through, it chipped easier, etc.

i agree on factory paint. there is nothing like it...it looks like it was made as part of the sheetmetal.

but shop paint is like flakey layer on a crispy cream donut. i'd be afraid to touch paint on shop painted car that it might crumble off.

my dad had an 86 silverado repainted. the paint started coming off after a couple years.

of course the paint job only cost him $900. he just went what was cheapest because it was an old truck anyway.

Archived