TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trip report... or...

twobjshelbys

Cabin fever finally got the best of me.

The temp in the Front Range (Denver, north) was only in the '50's today, but it was sunny. My daughter and wife went looking for an apartment (for my daughter) so I decided it was time to take the GT for a test drive. My wife was not invited -- too skitty ("you always drive too fast").

So I hit the road. My BJ GT had 230 miles when I left. The longest trip was up to Rocky Mountain Park from Lyons to Estes and back down to Loveland down Big Thompson Canyon.

So today I decided it was time to take it out for a ride. Went to Cheyenne up I25 from Longmont.

Traffic was pretty built up until I got north of Greeley. It kind of loosened up after Greeley, and for a small stretch after I crossed into Wyoming I let it go for a while.

Then the hood started to wobble and raise on me. The speed limit is 75 and I briefly went a little over that. (Math will follow).

The headwind was, I asked when I got gas, 50-55. I was going 85-90 (only briefly, before I figured the hood was going to fly back to Denver, and I wasn't going faster than the rest of the traffic, really; that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Some guy in a little Honda went around me. [note 1])

So, is the limit really 145?

I was going to go north of Cheyenne to open it up but the wind was too awful.

On the way up north the trip computer told me I was getting 18.9MGP. On the way back (with a 50-55MPH tail wind) it ran 27.8 before I turned off to Loveland.

Why were we dinged with a GGT? I want a refund. My Dodge 1500 truck get's 13 and my wife's 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't break 19.

On the way I stopped by the Loveland Ford dealer. There was a bunch of them standing outside so I thought I'd stop by for bragging rights. I thought they had a blue GT, but it was a clone [they are doing that]. They liked the BJ colors, and they showed me their GT500 inside [plastered with "do not touch" stickers]. They told me that they have a KR on the way, and the GT500 is "jacked up" with private mods to look like a SS [but not nearly as sweet], although they dyno'd at 5500' altitude at 460+RWHP. They replaced the stock GT500SC with a FRPP one. They think alot of their KR too, and think they're going to get $150+K off Ebay. I don't think they took me seriously when I took out my checkbook at MSRP. :(

Their head was a big portapotty in the parking lot. Then I headed up to Estes.

Now, I'm not a real aggressive driver, and always leave a good following distance [i have only one working eye so depth perception is a small but manageable problem]. But on the way up the canyon two people pulled over to let me by. I think the hood scoop spooked them. Either that or they wanted to see what was following them. However, once these really slow people got out of my way...

All I can say is I think we should try to "rent" Big Thompson Canyon for a day. OK, half a day. OK a couple of hours. :)

Went back home.

Wed/Thu it's supposed to be in the '70's. I might be mentally ill.

:) :) :)

One final observation: I know my wife is going to freak when we drive it back from Vegas this summer with the S/C installed. She'll have to drive it party way across Utah. If the S/C really kicks in about 2200RPM, that's about 70MPH. She's going to have to be careful when I take my nap. Or she might actually figure out just how much fun it is and want it for herself to drive back to see her mom.

[Note 1: I always like it when people pass me: It's people like them that keep people like me from getting tickets]

I forgot but when I was going up Big Thompson, I came around a bend and saw a car parked on the side of the road about two blocks ahead of me, and a woman taking pictures about a half block in front of the car. Just then (seconds after I rounded the bend) a big horn sheep (one of 6) ran in front of me and crossed the road and the other 5 continued up the ledge. I can attest that the Shelby GT brakes are more than adequate.

Else I would have had some Big Horn Sheep backstrap for supper tonight. [i'm told it's pretty tough and gamey. I love elk though.]

I forgot but when I was going up Big Thompson, I came around a bend and saw a car parked on the side of the road about two blocks ahead of me, and a woman taking pictures about a half block in front of the car. Just then (seconds after I rounded the bend) a big horn sheep (one of 6) ran in front of me and crossed the road and the other 5 continued up the ledge. I can attest that the Shelby GT brakes are more than adequate.

Else I would have had some Big Horn Sheep backstrap for supper tonight. [i'm told it's pretty tough and gamey. I love elk though.]

twoshelbys,

Great story. You'll love the extra HP with the SC. Regards.

Stuart

Archived