TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rust on 07 Shelby?

slamarre

All,

Just got back from a dealer ship who had 2 07 SGT loaded and i looked at both of them and they had rust (small bubbles) around the hood mouting bracket. I have attached an image and there is rust where i have put some red color and the rust is on the hood not the bracket.

Remember, rust is alive and i am scared because this dealer ship gave me a really good price.

He also told me that any imperfection would be fixed. How this could be fixed in a way that the rust will never be back again? Should i trust them or they will just patch it up to make the sale?

Should i request the replacement of those 2 hood brackets assembly with the one from an 08 model since the 08 model did not caused any rust on the hood. (after looking at some 08 SGT on the lot)

What about the hood scoop? I guess that SAI did drill some holes in the hood to install the rivet right? So, what will prvent the rust to get into it?

Thanks.

post-9186-1208055397_thumb.jpg

post-9186-1208055397_thumb.jpg

The hood is aluminum, so it is not rust, but it could be aluminum oxidation. Not sure why this would be happening. Others have reported "spider lines" in the finish coming from the area of the hood pins. The new hood pins would not make a difference, however when the original hood pins were installed maybe something was done incorrectly at SAI causing something with the hood pins to come in contact with the hood aluminum and causing electrolysis. As for the hood scoop, if its an '07 there are no rivets and it is probably the original hood scoop which attached with 4 bolts. Personally, I would avoid the cars and look elsewhere for another Shelby GT because a new car should not have such issues.

It could be the screws that are rusting. Some members had issues with the plates and or screws rusting and were sent replacements if I remember correctly. Is this the same car you are asking the question on finance options? If so you should just save yourself some time and call Michael Morris and be done with it.

Ok, Ok, who wants to be the bearer of bad news and tell him to look underneath in the rear of the vehicle. It is not for the feint of heart. At least he will be laying down under the car when he sees that area. Just be sure you feint and lay on the floor rather than jerking up out of anger and hitting your head on the underside of the vehicle.

Ok, Ok, who wants to be the bearer of bad news and tell him to look underneath in the rear of the vehicle. It is not for the feint of heart. At least he will be laying down under the car when he sees that area. Just be sure you feint and lay on the floor rather than jerking up out of anger and hitting your head on the underside of the vehicle.

69dejavue,

What is the meaning of your post? I just don't get it...

:stirpot:

All,

Just got back from a dealer ship who had 2 07 SGT loaded and i looked at both of them and they had rust (small bubbles) around the hood mouting bracket. I have attached an image and there is rust where i have put some red color and the rust is on the hood not the bracket.

Remember, rust is alive and i am scared because this dealer ship gave me a really good price.

He also told me that any imperfection would be fixed. How this could be fixed in a way that the rust will never be back again? Should i trust them or they will just patch it up to make the sale?

Should i request the replacement of those 2 hood brackets assembly with the one from an 08 model since the 08 model did not caused any rust on the hood. (after looking at some 08 SGT on the lot)

What about the hood scoop? I guess that SAI did drill some holes in the hood to install the rivet right? So, what will prvent the rust to get into it?

Thanks.

The hood is aluminum, it doesn't rust. There may be some issue with this car and the installation of the pins which I have never seen before. There have been some reports of paint spiders. But this is not a known issue for 07s any more than the 08s.

In some other Mustang forums there was talk about some metal shavings that got under some hood paint. There are also early hood pins that had issues and some with screws that rusted which may be what is happening here and gathering around the pins. All of this can be replaced/repaired under warranty but there are better cars out there so why bother.

Most of the time, another dealer will match the price on a car if you feel like there are issues you do not want to deal with on the car with the great price. Or you could have them replace the cheap hood pin latches. This is an easy warranty fix to make the deal.

If you like this car, DO NOT look too closely at the hood scoop, stripes, or underside!!!

Most of the time, another dealer will match the price on a car if you feel like there are issues you do not want to deal with on the car with the great price. Or you could have them replace the cheap hood pin latches. This is an easy warranty fix to make the deal.

If you like this car, DO NOT look too closely at the hood scoop, stripes, or underside!!!

:lurk:

69dejavue,

What is the meaning of your post? I just don't get it...

SLAM- crawl under the rear of the vehicle and look at the rust on the drive shaft, differential, frame, etc. There are other threads, albeit older, describing the extent of rust and how to hopefully cure it.

the original hood scoop which attached with 4 bolts.

The original scoop is attached with 8 bolts, only 4 are visible without removing the hood blanket. A second generation scoop will be attached with ten bolts with two being added to replace the front two rivets forcing the front of the scoop down flush to the car. I guess you can see why this idea was short lived.

I got lucky. I was dreading the inspection of my underside while it was on the lift Friday.....only to find very little if any surface rust of the rear end.

Archived