TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another poor fool suckered....

Joker45

Well today I was at a local car show and first thing I saw was a red and white Shelby GT500. I go and check it out and can't find the owner as I wanted to talk to him about the car. About 3-4 hours later I see that he is getting ready to leave and I go up and talk to the guy. He's in his 60's and seemed like a really nice guy. He tells me that he got the car about a week ago and I tell him how I've been trying to get my dealer to give me a price on one and the games that are going on. Then he drops the bomb...

He tells me that another dealer is selling one for $65,000 and that is less then what he paid for his. He then tells me, that he paid almost $80,000 after taxes for his and that it's going to be a collector car because they are only making them for one year and only 5,000 of them are going to be made. He said that because there are over 4,000 Ford Dealerships, that there is only one car per dealership. I then asked him who told him about Ford only making 5,000 of them. He said that the dealer where he bought it from told him that. He said he had to buy it for that price because it was going to be a rare car.

Of course I had to tell him some facts and his jaw about dropped. I didn't want to really upset him but I figured that he deserved to know the truth about production numbers and that at least 2 years are going to be produced. I then congradulated him on his car and wished him the best. I don't think that he was really happy though. I felt sorry for the guy until I thought about how blindly he bought it and believed everything the dealer had told him and did not even attempt to check facts.

For the first one I have seen in person, I thought it was a nice car and I still want one really bad but it's not an $80,000 car in my opinion. I shiver when I think about how much he lost in value when he drove it off the lot.... :doh:

Well today I was at a local car show and first thing I saw was a red and white Shelby GT500. I go and check it out and can't find the owner as I wanted to talk to him about the car. About 3-4 hours later I see that he is getting ready to leave and I go up and talk to the guy. He's in his 60's and seemed like a really nice guy. He tells me that he got the car about a week ago and I tell him how I've been trying to get my dealer to give me a price on one and the games that are going on. Then he drops the bomb...

He tells me that another dealer is selling one for $65,000 and that is less then what he paid for his. He then tells me, that he paid almost $80,000 after taxes for his and that it's going to be a collector car because they are only making them for one year and only 5,000 of them are going to be made. He said that because there are over 4,000 Ford Dealerships, that there is only one car per dealership. I then asked him who told him about Ford only making 5,000 of them. He said that the dealer where he bought it from told him that. He said he had to buy it for that price because it was going to be a rare car.

Of course I had to tell him some facts and his jaw about dropped. I didn't want to really upset him but I figured that he deserved to know the truth about production numbers and that at least 2 years are going to be produced. I then congradulated him on his car and wished him the best. I don't think that he was really happy though. I felt sorry for the guy until I thought about how blindly he bought it and believed everything the dealer had told him and did not even attempt to check facts.

For the first one I have seen in person, I thought it was a nice car and I still want one really bad but it's not an $80,000 car in my opinion. I shiver when I think about how much he lost in value when he drove it off the lot.... :doh:

That is such a sad story! The poor guy got screwed blind. I got mine (powerlease Holder) this past Tuesday...sticker was $45,060 and paid $42,293. It really is an awesome car.....worth every cent of sticker, and possibly a little more. But you're right, it is not an $80,000 car...not even close. That guy probably has more money than sense to ever think any new Mustang is worth that kind of money. As hard as it was for him, it was probably right that you told him the truth.....though he probably was a lot happier before he met you!! Hope you're experience getting one is a lot more positive!!

The sad thing is that his salesperson [and I use that term very loosely -should be screwperson] probably doesn't know any better so he made it up. Charging that kind of ADM alone is unbelievable but when it is supported by an outright lie, then it becomes unethical.

A. Lousy dealer...it doesn't matter if the sales guy knew he was BSing or not. There is no excuse.

B. Don't feel sorry for the buyer...he's a complete moron. Tons of information is readily available. If he chooses to walk into a dealership and believe whatever a salesperson tells him and drop $80,000 on a Mustang, then my guess is he gets sucker-punched a lot in many areas of life. He must not mind it. "Poor guy?"...my :censored:

Not sure you really accomplished anything other than ruining someone's day. It would be one thing if you had come across this guy before he bought, but after the fact, I think I would have let him go on thinking whatever made him happy.

hmmm...but then again, you may have saved him additional embarrassment so he doesn't go around looking like a fool repeating the line the dealer fed him.

Not sure you really accomplished anything other than ruining someone's day. It would be one thing if you had come across this guy before he bought, but after the fact, I think I would have let him go on thinking whatever made him happy.

hmmm...but then again, you may have saved him additional embarrassment so he doesn't go around looking like a fool repeating the line the dealer fed him.

It sounds like he thinks he bought a good investement and yes with all the information out there he should have done his research. Obivously he has more money than brains. I think you saved him from more embassment in the future. Kinda of like the guy with the trail of toliet paper hanging out the back of his pants and the party.

The sad thing is that his salesperson [and I use that term very loosely -should be screwperson] probably doesn't know any better so he made it up. Charging that kind of ADM alone is unbelievable but when it is supported by an outright lie, then it becomes unethical.

Speaking of which...Lonstar has one for a BIN of only 90K or something like close to it...on e-bay...

What interested me about this whole situation was that he bought his GT500 through the same dealership francise that I'm trying to buy mine. His dealer was in another city though. I tried to go down and get on the list at the one he bought his from over a year ago. They are a full line SVT dealer and I got the run around then. Left my contact info with the dealer and never heard from them again.

I know that I may not have accomplished anything with telling him the truth. But I figured he deserved to know and maybe he will go and check to make sure I wasn't full of crap and then go chew his dealer a new one. It's guys like this, that are uneducated about this car, have more money then brains and believe anything that comes out of an unethical saleman's mouth, that makes buying this car much harder for the average guy who wants it.

I'm also sure this is the reason that my dealer will not give me a price or tell me if they will sell me one or not. They are looking for the quick buck and they know, because I have told them, that I will not pay ADM. I will gladly pay MSRP but no more. It's not worth it to me and 50 grand is alot for a car and for me to pay. I'm not a rich person and can't afford the toys like some can. But I am a Mustang guy and always wanted another one since I had my '93 Saleen. This would be a like a dream come true.

This reminds me of the old Honeymooners episode where Ralph buys a hat pin box for Alice at Christmas made out of 50,000 matches and was once owned by a chinese emperor (or something like that) and the neighbor comes in with the identical box she bought at a novelty shop for a dime.

I guess there are a lot of Ralph Cramden's walking around.

I know that I may not have accomplished anything with telling him the truth. But I figured he deserved to know and maybe he will go and check to make sure I wasn't full of crap and then go chew his dealer a new one. It's guys like this, that are uneducated about this car, have more money then brains and believe anything that comes out of an unethical saleman's mouth, that makes buying this car much harder for the average guy who wants it.

Maybe He will go back to the Dealership and try and Trade the Car in and See how much the dealer will give him for the Car... My guess is that the dealership would only offer him the MSRP Value for the CAR. Then Sell the Car Used for 60K to another uneducated buyer.

Yeah - tough call. If someone has the means to drop 80 large on a car - they should probably do their homework first. I'm not sure I can feel sorry for him. Not enough information on this one.

How come no one's talking about the price a 67 or 68 GT500, or a 69 GB Vert GT500? The prices these cars are bringing make 15K over MSRP for an 07 GT500 look like a steel!!!

How come no one's talking about the price a 67 or 68 GT500, or a 69 GB Vert GT500? The prices these cars are bringing make 15K over MSRP for an 07 GT500 look like a steel!!!

Because there were so few 66, 67, and 68 made. 7.5 to 9k a year still put quite a few cars out there. 20, even 40 years from now, I doubt if anyone will make big bucks by selling a 2007 Shelby GT500

Guest evilchris

There is absolutely no relationship between pricing on 60's classics and new cars...

Well I feel sorry for me. Means that dealership is owner by the same one I'm trying to go through, I'm sure that they will try and charge huge ADM's on the 2 that they are getting in. I was supposed to get their first one but I just don't see that happening now.

Maybe He will go back to the Dealership and try and Trade the Car in and See how much the dealer will give him for the Car... My guess is that the dealership would only offer him the MSRP Value for the CAR. Then Sell the Car Used for 60K to another uneducated buyer.

They would probably give him $5,000-$10,000 below the blue book price like most dealers when you are trading in a vehicle. That means he has like $40,000 in negative equity, nice, I hope he doesn't die before he gets out from the upside down deal on the car, then his poor wife or family will have to pay for his stupid uninformed choices. Did he re-mortgage his house to get the money for his "collector" car? Sad story indeed, but hard to feel sorry with an "idiot" like that. He must have inherited his money. People who are self made usually have more brains than that, and will buy the offbrand groceries at the store to save a dime. They are usually really tight with their money. $80,000 for a mustang :fan: , who thought we would see the day?????WOW

Archived