TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hinged Rear Window Louver-Back window

dukenrock

Has anyone installed these on the car yet? Either the alumium or plastic version? If so, looking for pros and cons. Thanks!! (Not the side windows, but the back window)

I had louvers on my 1982 Mustang GT, and it was great. Don't get plastic because it will warp over time and will flutter at speed.

Get the aluminum one, they are much sturder. Unless they have changed, the hinge points glue onto the back glass with 3M body and trim tape, as well as the lower locking points too. After they set, you just install the louver onto the upper hinge points and then lower it down to the lock postion.

Cleaning the rear window is also easy, you just lift the louver up on it's prop rods (they should have prop rods) and clean the glass as normal.

Having the louver really reduces interior heat and also protects the rear seat back and package deck area fabric from getting sun faded over time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Is there only one place that makes the hinged ones?

I had louvers on my 1982 Mustang GT, and it was great. Don't get plastic because it will warp over time and will flutter at speed.

Get the aluminum one, they are much sturder. Unless they have changed, the hinge points glue onto the back glass with 3M body and trim tape, as well as the lower locking points too. After they set, you just install the louver onto the upper hinge points and then lower it down to the lock postion.

Cleaning the rear window is also easy, you just lift the louver up on it's prop rods (they should have prop rods) and clean the glass as normal.

Having the louver really reduces interior heat and also protects the rear seat back and package deck area fabric from getting sun faded over time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Is there only one place that makes the hinged ones?

Sorry, don't know that. It's been many years since I went shopping for one. I recommend googling to see what comes up, otherwise maybe another member will post a link for you here.

I would imagine that most/all of them should be hinged though, because it would be difficult to clean the rear glass if it didn't lift up and out of the way.

Has anyone installed these on the car yet? Either the alumium or plastic version? If so, looking for pros and cons. Thanks!! (Not the side windows, but the back window)

dukenrock,

Here is a link for hinged aluminum louvers

http://wheelskin.com/mrt-3002.html

Stuart

dukenrock - Another link, same product that stuart provided a link to but a different vendor and cheaper.

http://mrt-direct.com/v3/Styling%202005+/E....php#rearlouver

I plan on putting these on my coupe shortly. They also sell the prop rods.

Greg

Darkside,

Good catch--$70.00 savings...

Stuart

Are you still lerking???? When are you gonna pull the trigger??? :talkhand:

Never have. Try calling the dealerships because I know that the Roush conversions added the hinged louvers to their mods.

If you would have gotten the vert you thinking about you wouldn't be asking this question! Make sure you show a pic of that new shelby of yours when it is finished with its mods.

dukenrock - Another link, same product that stuart provided a link to but a different vendor and cheaper.

http://mrt-direct.com/v3/Styling%202005+/E....php#rearlouver

I plan on putting these on my coupe shortly. They also sell the prop rods.

Greg

Darkside,

Good catch--$70.00 savings...

Stuart

Thanks for the info!!!

Use caution when buying anythng from MRT. Their support after sale is non exsistant. Month after month of BS and lies telling me "we're working on a solution" that in the end never transpired. Messages never get returned, and there is a general lack of concern once the money is in the bank. After 6 months of trying to get satisfaction, I just gave up and fixed the problem myself but not without an added out of pocket expense.

To be more specific, I purchased two sets (one for each car) of hood lifts from them, and the struts they provide with the kit are unable to keep the hood(s) up after 20 minutes or so, or if the slightest breeze pushes on the hood.

The hood has fallen down and bopped me on the head a few times, and it almost came down on a kid that was peering under it at a car show. In the end I had to go to FoMoCo and install a set of hood lifts from an Explorer to make them work properly.

In this particular case, I question why they would offer strut rods seperately for $25.00. Doesn't the louver come with props from the manufacturer? I believe that they do, and I would suggest verifing that before making the purchase from MRT.

I'm not saying that the louvers will suck, I'm just saying buyer beware.

Get the Roush ones, they are an exact copy of the 70 Boss ones. You can get them through Summitt racing. They are designed by Jack himself and track tested. I have them on my white SGT and love them. One small thing to mention. They are 700 smacks, expensive but the best. They come in Matte Black, hinged and petestled to stay up when cleaning. Good for privacey when big 4x4s come up behind you. It kind of pisses them off that they cant get you with their lights . Also keeps it cool in the Shelby this summer. B) Sudden.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying from HubCaps Plus. The first set had some minor flaws in the lower louver so I called Hub Caps about it. They informed me that MRT would send a UPS pickup out and after they receive it send me a new set of louvers. There was a mishap with UPS where several days went by and no pick up. MRT actually sent me the new louvers without getting the original set back in an attempt to keep me satisfied. Their directions are a tad on the weak side so I called MRT directly and they answered all my questions. I ended up purchasing another set of sequential lights fromthem (For my sister's black vert GT) and they gave me a good deal on the lights. By the way, these are the exact louvers as the Roush louvers that cost $800.00!!!!

I thought it would be good to pass along the good service.

Use caution when buying anythng from MRT. Their support after sale is non exsistant. Month after month of BS and lies telling me "we're working on a solution" that in the end never transpired. Messages never get returned, and there is a general lack of concern once the money is in the bank. After 6 months of trying to get satisfaction, I just gave up and fixed the problem myself but not without an added out of pocket expense.

To be more specific, I purchased two sets (one for each car) of hood lifts from them, and the struts they provide with the kit are unable to keep the hood(s) up after 20 minutes or so, or if the slightest breeze pushes on the hood.

The hood has fallen down and bopped me on the head a few times, and it almost came down on a kid that was peering under it at a car show. In the end I had to go to FoMoCo and install a set of hood lifts from an Explorer to make them work properly.

In this particular case, I question why they would offer strut rods seperately for $25.00. Doesn't the louver come with props from the manufacturer? I believe that they do, and I would suggest verifing that before making the purchase from MRT.

I'm not saying that the louvers will suck, I'm just saying buyer beware.

post-19899-1209218415_thumb.jpg

post-19899-1209218426_thumb.jpg

post-19899-1209218415_thumb.jpg

post-19899-1209218426_thumb.jpg

Archived