TEAM SHELBY FORUM

UNLOADING TERROR

strongtie

I met with a client yesterday who shared an interesting story...

He and his son were driving around in the northern suburbs of Chicago a couple of days ago when his son exclaimed," what kind of car is that, Dad!". His father replied, " that's the new Shelby GT500". It was a coupe, grabber orange with over the top performance white lemans stripes. The Dad explained he had a friend that is getting the same car, only in a convertable (that would be me!). They watched from across the street as the car was unloaded off the carrier truck. According to my friend ...as soon as the Shelby cleared the the transport, the driver kicked it in gear and proceeded to burn doughnuts in the parking lot of the Ford dealer.

Beware of the delivery man!

I don't know the ford dealer but I hope the soon to be owner is aware of what has happened.

[. According to my friend ...as soon as the Shelby cleared the the transport, the driver kicked it in gear and proceeded to burn doughnuts in the parking lot of the Ford dealer.

I don't know the ford dealer but I hope the soon to be owner is aware of what has happened.

Until the car has the computer re-set, that is an impossibility. I have watched thousands of vehicles get unloaded over the years and have never seen anything like that happen from a transport driver.

Our SVT tech told me that until he drove the 5 miles that is required to re-tune it, that a Taurus could out run the Shelby and I have never seen a stock Taurus do a burnout!

Isell: I thought the Shelby re-tuned automatically after the 5 miles. But you say the 5 miles just a prerequisit to do a re-tune?

Isell: I thought the Shelby re-tuned automatically after the 5 miles. But you say the 5 miles just a prerequisit to do a re-tune?

Its 5 consecutive miles MINIMUM.

The car will not make full power even after the 5 miles or 50 restarts. Its MANDATORY the dealer pulls the negative battery cable for at least ten seconds then once re-installs cable he MUST turn key on then off without starting the engine. This is the J10 in the Shelby PDI.

This is how most of the people are getting the bigger numbers on the dyno.

remember 4000 rpm and no boost until above is done.

I think its one of the he said she said deals heard and they are full of CRAP!

Its 5 consecutive miles MINIMUM.

The car will not make full power even after the 5 miles or 50 restarts. Its MANDATORY the dealer pulls the negative battery cable for at least ten seconds then once re-installs cable he MUST turn key on then off without starting the engine. This is the J10 in the Shelby PDI.

This is how most of the people are getting the bigger numbers on the dyno.

remember 4000 rpm and no boost until above is done.

I think its one of the he said she said deals heard and they are full of CRAP!

I disagree with the 4000 RPM limit unless mine had the J10 done before it was loaded on the rail car. I got mine with 12.5 miles on it directly from the rail yard and it would red line with 50 miles on it. I also had boost at WOT but did not take time to count the numbers being too busy driving. I did the J10 procedure tonight and do feel it made a big improvement in power with less throttle and seemed to rev faster. The negative battery cable did not look like it had beed tampered with. I knew this was supposed to be done at the dealer but I let it pass because I wanted to do it myself. I was there for every step of the PDI.

I disagree with the 4000 RPM limit unless mine had the J10 done before it was loaded on the rail car. I got mine with 12.5 miles on it directly from the rail yard and it would red line with 50 miles on it. I also had boost at WOT but did not take time to count the numbers being too busy driving. I did the J10 procedure tonight and do feel it made a big improvement in power with less throttle and seemed to rev faster. The negative battery cable did not look like it had beed tampered with. I knew this was supposed to be done at the dealer but I let it pass because I wanted to do it myself. I was there for every step of the PDI.

subgun, The printed material which is way ahead of cars showed the 4000 rpm limit and no or low boost.

Its possible Its doing what you say. You have your shelby and I do not.

I will stick with the reset PCM though. THat is the very latest scoop on the PDI's.

If someone is driving a new Shelby disconnect the battery cable and also do the key on key off prior to starting after PCM is reset. )without starting engine) as subguns said he felt it made a diff.

I think there will be a noticeable diff in power between zero and 500 miles after reset too.

This whole detune/Valet tune thing seems more trouble than it's worth.

First you hear that you have to drive 5 consecutive miles or start it 50 times and it's good.

Then you hear you have to do that plus dissconnect the battery for 10 sec. or 10 min. (I've seen both on this forum).

Now you hear that you have to do all that plus fiddle with the key after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting.

I hope they send a good set of instructions so me and my small rural Ford dealer mechanic can figure it out.

EbonyGT500 --

Item J10 on my pre-delivery service record shows item J10 as "Reset PCM Calibration (Shelby GT500)" - Where did you come up with disconnecting the battery... etc... etc..

This was not done on my car, and I will guarantee that we are over 4000 RPM and the boost is working even in Denver. I had no problems at the track with anything other than way too much power at launch.

Can you cite your documentation, please???

[. According to my friend ...as soon as the Shelby cleared the the transport, the driver kicked it in gear and proceeded to burn doughnuts in the parking lot of the Ford dealer.

Until the car has the computer re-set, that is an impossibility. I have watched thousands of vehicles get unloaded over the years and have never seen anything like that happen from a transport driver.

Our SVT tech told me that until he drove the 5 miles that is required to re-tune it, that a Taurus could out run the Shelby and I have never seen a stock Taurus do a burnout!

Hello, picked mine up August 8 with 10 miles and in detune mode. Because car has a manual transmission, it had the power to do a burn out. They will still rev to 4K in detune mode. Thank god that car was in detune mode when the delivery man was taking advantage of his job. There is always someone giving the rest a bad name.

Archived