TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 40th came home today!!!!!

Spoke with SAI and there is not fix for the carbon fiber. Does anyone have an in with Amy? That is the llevel that needs to be talked with to get that fixed. I know they can do better.

Maybe try PMing her. I think all the CF is the same. I checked my stripes the other night and there were many places where they were coming up or not wrapped around edges. I understand that they might be pressed with orders, but there is no excuse for the lack of quality. Like hell Ford would let a SGT or KR come from SAI and then sold like that. There is a big issue with shipping back returned parts and quality assurance. Very disappointed.

Has anyone heard anything similar with the SS and their CF, stripes, and parts?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the carbon fibre as an issue. I didn't notice it until I read this post and niether has anyone else. I sure had a lot of folks climbing all over it at the Cars and Coffee, Mustang cafe and Stillen events. All I heard was compliments. :shrug:

HOW MANY CARS DO YOU LOOK AT AND NOT SEE WHAT YOU SEE THE NEXT TIME YOU LOOK AT IT. LIKE WHEN YOU WAX OR POLISH THE CAR AND YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES YOU'LL DO THAT. PUT IT IN A CAR SHOW AND WATCH IT GET MARKED DOWN FOR POOR QUALITY. FOR WHAT WE PAY FOR THESE MODS THIS IS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE. HOW CAN THEY SAY 'THATS JUST THE WAY IT IS'---THATS BULL SOMEBODY HAS SCREWED UP AND WILL KEEP SCREWING UP UNTIL THEY HEAR FROM ENOUGH PEOPLE---THEN IT WILL COST THEM MORE TO GO BACK AND FIX IT THAN IF THEY HAD DONE IT RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

THIS IS REALLY UPSETTING.

BOB

I don't really know if the carbon fibre is a "screw up" or not since I haven't seen the design or spec on it. To you it's a quality problem. To me it cannot be determined if it is or not for the reasons I stated.

All I'm saying is mine is acceptable to me. :shrug:

I prob. would have not even noticed the CF until my wife pointed it out to me. From looking at it, its a design error on the manufacture of the rocker molding. They should have made them fit the car better and Shelby should have pushed to have them fix it. BUT the stripes is just down right ignorance. I had MANY places where the edges were coming up and where they didn't bend it over the edge. It was like they just slapped it on. Where the stripes go around my license plate, you can tell that its off center and the driver side stripe below my front lower grill don't reach from my grill to lower valance. It doesn't even match the passenger side! For what we pay these shouldn't even be an issue. Take pride in your work like we take in our cars. I wish I could say they would fix it but with the way they are being oh so helpful with me and recovering my parts, I'm not holding my breathe.

I still haven't heard back from SAI. I know it is the weekend, so I'm betting on tomorrow.

Anyway, I paid these people almost $13k for this car to be modified. The first installment which was paid in October. Not including $4k for shipping. I did not try to negotiate the price or ask for freebees, the only thing that I wanted was a car done CORRECTLY and my parts shipped back in the SAME condition that they were in when the car left here. This is not the case.

I feel that accepting my car and parts, the way "they are", is a poor way to do business. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot, it would be a different story.

I know that they are having growing pains, and I LOVE my car, so I'm betting that they will do the right thing.

If they choose not to, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It's raining cats and dogs here, so no wonder I'm a little crabby! I need my Shelby fix!!

Cheers,

1FST ASP

I still haven't heard back from SAI. I know it is the weekend, so I'm betting on tomorrow.

Anyway, I paid these people almost $13k for this car to be modified. The first installment which was paid in October. Not including $4k for shipping. I did not try to negotiate the price or ask for freebees, the only thing that I wanted was a car done CORRECTLY and my parts shipped back in the SAME condition that they were in when the car left here. This is not the case.

I feel that accepting my car and parts, the way "they are", is a poor way to do business. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot, it would be a different story.

I know that they are having growing pains, and I LOVE my car, so I'm betting that they will do the right thing.

If they choose not to, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It's raining cats and dogs here, so no wonder I'm a little crabby! I need my Shelby fix!!

Cheers,

1FST ASP

Adrienne told me that the only way to get something done is contact Amy. I think we should all do that.

I hate to say this, but I may have an issue with my brakes or wheels. I had read somewhere that the lug holes on these American Racing wheels could be off. I have an unbelievable full body shake and shimmy over 60 mph. Applying the brakes at 90mph is bad. It makes me think I might have a drive shaft or axle problem which causes poor rear brake performance, but not everyone agrees. I've already had the wheels rebalanced by Goodyear. They said the wheels had only a one-plane high speed static balance done. Goodyear did a two-plane balance. It improved a bit, but did not resolve. I'm going to swap to the stock rims and tires to eliminate the wheels and then get the dealer to look at the drive shaft and axle. Hopefully we can narrow this down.

As far as the CF on the rocker - I could live with it. We wouldn't get 'marks off' in a car show if that's the way they were produced. To the purist - the opposite would be true. If you fix it to look good, you might lose points. Car shows rate on accuracy, not perfection.

I hate to say this, but I may have an issue with my brakes or wheels. I had read somewhere that the lug holes on these American Racing wheels could be off. I have an unbelievable full body shake and shimmy over 60 mph. Applying the brakes at 90mph is bad. It makes me think I might have a drive shaft or axle problem which causes poor rear brake performance, but not everyone agrees. I've already had the wheels rebalanced by Goodyear. They said the wheels had only a one-plane high speed static balance done. Goodyear did a two-plane balance. It improved a bit, but did not resolve. I'm going to swap to the stock rims and tires to eliminate the wheels and then get the dealer to look at the drive shaft and axle. Hopefully we can narrow this down.

As far as the CF on the rocker - I could live with it. We wouldn't get 'marks off' in a car show if that's the way they were produced. To the purist - the opposite would be true. If you fix it to look good, you might lose points. Car shows rate on accuracy, not perfection.

My car is "done" and all this talk is worrying me...I think I need to fly to Vegas and see it before shipping it back...

Good news - I believe my axle and drive shaft may be fine.

The bad news - I put my stock wheels and tires back on and the full body shake and shimmy went away - and brakes work fine. Both the Baers and the stock rear. I'll need to retest this again tomorrow when the rain stops and the roads clear so I can push the car more.

I'll take the Shelby Razors to Goodyear again to rebalance. Bud also mentioned to be sure to torque the lug nuts to 100 ft lbs. I don't know what they were torqued with by Goodyear. If there's still a problem at that point - we'll need to look at the lug holes. The shaking is freaking unbelievable.

Good news - I believe my axle and drive shaft may be fine.

The bad news - I put my stock wheels and tires back on and the full body shake and shimmy went away - and brakes work fine. Both the Baers and the stock rear. I'll need to retest this again tomorrow when the rain stops and the roads clear so I can push the car more.

I'll take the Shelby Razors to Goodyear again to rebalance. Bud also mentioned to be sure to torque the lug nuts to 100 ft lbs. I don't know what they were torqued with by Goodyear. If there's still a problem at that point - we'll need to look at the lug holes. The shaking is freaking unbelievable.

Remove the "clips" that hold the brake rotors on(that go over the wheel studs).

I believe the American Racing wheels have no indent for these tiny metal "clips" that the stock wheels have.

Problem will go away & be long gone!!

-Josh

Remove the "clips" that hold the brake rotors on(that go over the wheel studs).

I believe the American Racing wheels have no indent for these tiny metal "clips" that the stock wheels have.

Problem will go away & be long gone!!

-Josh

Clarify that for me. I didn't look closely when I was chaging the wheels. Know that I have the Baer brake upgrades. On the rear, the stock rotor is replaced with a 14" rotor and they reposition the stock rear caliper with a new mount bracket.

Is what you're saying still something to look at?

My baby made it home today and I will say it was worth the wait!!

Take a look at these pictures and let me know what you think. Does this look right to you?

post-12950-1207694406_thumb.jpg

post-12950-1207694526_thumb.jpg

As always, your comments, opinions, and ideas are strongly encouraged!!

1FST ASP

Fplks,

I've done everything for the 40th piece by piece except for the wheels and (badging, I'll get those from a chinese manufacturer) for under $3,000. Just an FYI for those of you on a tight budget like I am.

Clarify that for me. I didn't look closely when I was chaging the wheels. Know that I have the Baer brake upgrades. On the rear, the stock rotor is replaced with a 14" rotor and they reposition the stock rear caliper with a new mount bracket.

Is what you're saying still something to look at?

Up front then. The factory brake rotors are held on by little metal circular "clips" that hold the brake rotor on while it's on the production line. These "clips" slide over the wheel stud. Your factory wheels have indents to allow for these clips - the American Racing wheels do not, I believe.

There have been numerous cases of this issue causing what you are concerned about.

Let us know what you find.

-Josh

Up front then. The factory brake rotors are held on by little metal circular "clips" that hold the brake rotor on while it's on the production line. These "clips" slide over the wheel stud. Your factory wheels have indents to allow for these clips - the American Racing wheels do not, I believe.

There have been numerous cases of this issue causing what you are concerned about.

Let us know what you find.

-Josh

Thanks, but again - I have the Baer brake upgrade. Upfront it's new 14" rotors plus the 6 piston calipers. So do you think this clip is still there? Seems to me you're talking about putting the Razors on stock rotors.

Thanks, but again - I have the Baer brake upgrade. Upfront it's new 14" rotors plus the 6 piston calipers. So do you think this clip is still there? Seems to me you're talking about putting the Razors on stock rotors.

IF the clips are there - they should NOT be, especially after the brake upgrade...but...weirder things have happened. I'd definitely pull a few wheels to look especially since you said it didn't do it with the stock wheels on and your razors balanced up well.

Let us know,

-Josh

Goodyear took their time with the balancing - this being the second go around. They say 3 of 4 wheels are bad. One rear was OK. One rear was warped and spun side to side. Both front wheels moved up and down. That says the holes are off - at least the center hub hole, which they use to balance. That might imply the lug holes are off as well if all 6 holes are drilled at once. SAI is looking into what can be done.

Talked to Bud at SAI. He got American Racing on the phone immediately and then AR called me. AR will make good on the wheels thru SAI. They will send me 3 new wheels that I will have Goodyear remount the Pirelli's on. I will then ship back the 3 bad wheels.

Anyone else have issues with the AR Razors? Have you had them up to speed yet?

Anyone else have issues with the AR Razors? Have you had them up to speed yet?

I had the front wheels balanced today to stop a slight shimmy between 60 mph and 72 mph. It did some good, but it is still not completely gone. I'll go back for seconds and see what happens.

Couple updates. The holes are not drilled - the wheel is entirely cast.

Also - with my stock wheels and tires on - I can say the car performs as expected. I couldn't be happier with the ride and handling - and the brakes are unbelievable. Can't wait to get the tranny fixed. The 1st-2nd grind is getting embarrassing.

Now if we could just get the Razors right.

GTFLYBOY - I also have a front end shimmy that starts at around 62 mph !!!

This keeps getting better !!

Plus, my boost gauge doesn't work !! :censored:

1FST ASP

I haven't asked SAI yet, but where there's an installation problem like this, how is SAI covering it? Obviously it's crazy to take it back unless you live in Vegas. Who does the work, and who pays?

• 2 weeks later...

There are 4 topics on this topic, I am closing this, moving 2 and leaving then in my section open.

I need brad's info so I can have someone check on this. This is the first one where there has been an issue. I want to know which groups worked on it

Amy

Archived