TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dis-colored valve covers

I have 2007 Shelby GT that I purchased in June of 2007 with 6500 miles. I have noticed that my valve covers are dis-colored and it looks like some "whitish" looking deposits on them. Anyone have this and is there anything I can apply or do to make this go away?

I would expect this since they are aluminum - but I have no idea what can be done about it. I'm sure someone more experienced will chime it!

Wash the motor down when cool use some soft bristle brushes and coat with silicone free

(to prevent under hood fire)dressing to protect the bare aluminum. This is a common issue on Fords. If the residue does not come off easliy then the motor was washed HOT and the residue has set into the aluminum. It can come off, it will take some elbow grease and creativity.

I belive the cam covers are Magnesium. They do stain easily. Mine were stained from the first day. But powder coating makes it all better! :) or you could opt for the chrome, black crinkle or ford blue units from Ford Racing Performance Parts as Shelbypilot suggested.

I've seen this before, and it's from using the wrong chemicals to clean the engine bay. They are not all the same, and some are very caustic to aluminum.

One is very safe on all things under the hood. Simple Green, use it straight up for heavy deposits, or, a 50/50 solution for mild clean-up. Dose it liberally on a COLD engine and rinse liberally with cool non-pressurised water. Let it drip dry while you wipe down some accessories, then start the engine and let it warm up. No streaks or water spots, just simply clean. If any splashes on the paint, don't worry, it's harmless.

Good advice on the powdercoated cam covers from FRP, but stay away from the which claims to be "chrome plated". It's not true chrome, but a process called AmeriChrome PVD. It's very soft and the shine won't last a year without lots of attention. It also scratches very easy.

The powercoated cam covers are attractive, but before you balk at the cost, bare cam covers are 160 bucks from Ford.

Archived