TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Installed the Shelby Gauge Cluster

I just finished installing the Shelby Gauge Cluster for non-SC cars. The instructions are good but I found a few things:

1) They don't say anything about having to remove the fuel pump relay and run the engine until it stalls to relieve the fuel pressure (like the Ford shop manual says for replacing the OEM fuel sensor). I think the SAI instructions are OK if the car sits awhile. I found that there will be little fuel spilled. So the instructions, as is, worked for me.

2) I had some butt connectors missing in my pack for the fuel sensor harness (but I went to Radio Shack to get them)

3) The fuel gauge harness is really too short and it is better to splice in a 2 foot section for all three wires so you can route them well and secure them IMO (which is what I did).

4) The instructions, which say NOT to use teflon sealing paste or tape on the fuel pressure sensor and plug, is, IMO, wrong. The instructions show an aluminum block with ports for the OEM and SAI pressure gauges along with a port for a pressure check plug. This one pictured in the instructions looks like it was treated with an alodine finish (a light surface treatment to resist corrosion). The one in my kit is black anodize (a heavier treatment, which looks better). When you tread in the fittings, they disturb the anodize on the treads which starts to flake and power and I just couldn't get a seal on these fittings. This flaking probably doesn't happen with the lighter alodine finish and probably seals better. The Autometer instructions say to use, sparingly, a teflon sealing paste but no tape on their fuel pressure sensor. I use a small amount of paste and it works fine.

5) For an old guy, I found it hard on the back to work under the dash. I don't have back trouble, but if you do, watch out!

All in all, the instructions are very good if you're careful and the kit makes the installation much easier than if you had to figure out all the needed fittings and wires, and where to tap into the car's harness, etc. But their estimate of 3 hours to install this is only for those who have done it before. I think someone here had theirs installed by a mechanic and he took four hours. I took my time to check and double check and it took me all day and then some. Considering the effort involved, I think I saved myself some real money doing it myself.

One member, who installed his own supercharger, said the gauge install was a PITA! Well, he is right but that also tells me I must be ready to install an SC! :D

Wow...this is for sure something I can't do.

Hey! Anyone up to take the SAI Pod and just battery power it and have the gauges just show what ever? I can velcro that bad boy on and I'd be no one would know the difference...including me! :happy feet:

Wow...this is for sure something I can't do.

Hey! Anyone up to take the SAI Pod and just battery power it and have the gauges just show what ever? I can velcro that bad boy on and I'd be no one would know the difference...including me! :happy feet:

There you go. Someone needs to design a gauge that works via telemetry. Mount the telemetry sensors on the engine and the gauge pod on the dash and that's it, no wires. If someone builds that, then I'll buy it. Especially if it looks like an old school dial gauge (not a digital readout) like these Shelby gauges.

Archived