TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire's, What Do Think?

Thinking about new tire's. I am looking at Nitto's and Falken. Size's are 245/45 18 frt. and 255/45 18 rear. Was thinking about new wheels but just can'nt see it. With these size's they fit on my stock wheels just fine. The rear well be a little bit wider. To much trouble to change the TPMS .

At the rate I'm going, I'll need to replace my tires due to age rather than wear. But, back to your question if I were doing it today, from what I've read, I would probably go with the stickest closest-to-race tire I could find. Several manufacturers make those - Nitto, Goodrich, etc....

Hey Bob, how you doin?

A few years back, I got a lot of experience with tires of all brands on my three Marauders. I was very hard on tires, burned them up rather quick slinging a 4500 pound supercharged luxo-barge around the race track. I got the best bang for my buck with Pirelli P-Zero in Assymetrico and Directionaly tread designs. A very sticky compound intended for the track, nothing else drove as nice, on or off the throttle.

Nice variety in size as well. My last set was 245/45-18 front and 255/50-18 rear, on 8.0" wide wheels. The 8.5 wide wheels stock on the SGT should lower the sidewall profile and widen the footprint just a bit.

Yeah, they are a tad more expensive, but worth it IMHO. When my stock BFGs are done, I'll be going back to Pirelli.

Thinking about new tire's. I am looking at Nitto's and Falken. Size's are 245/45 18 frt. and 255/45 18 rear. Was thinking about new wheels but just can'nt see it. With these size's they fit on my stock wheels just fine. The rear well be a little bit wider. To much trouble to change the TPMS .

Go with BF Goodrich KDW and you'll be much happier especially with their price...

Go with BF Goodrich KDW and you'll be much happier especially with their price...

+1. I have a set of KDW's and I'm very happy with them. A little slick on cold roads but tremendous in the warm weather. I put a set of AR Shelby Redlines 18 X 9 & 18 X 10 and with 255 fronts with 285 rears. Car looks pretty fat too.

Rich

If you ever want to consider upgrading the brakes you might want to consider new wheels, a bit wider.

I decided to go with the SVT GT-500 wheels (18x9.5) w/ 255/45 front and 285/40 rear (same spec as GT-500). The TPMS sensors are not that bad to deal with as long as you follow the instructions and have a trustworthy shop mount the tires.

I purchased the TPMS sensors, straps and the training tool from Team Ford online. Wheels came from Summit. Pirellis from Tire Rack. Everything worked out fine... (Now I have a spare set of wheels for my GT/CS convertible).

One thing, however is that the car "hunts" a bit more on uneven roads than with the stock wheels, but the car handles and looks great.

Good Luck with your project...

Archived