TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Same issues from the 60's being revisited

wingnut

Hey guys do you think that all the discussion regarding prioce etc may have also occurred back in the 60's. I mean back then the price of a new GT350 (65-66) wasn't exactly cheap but a few folks actually stepped up and bought them. I am not sure whether they considered collectability but correct me if I'm wrong, but the Shalby's new in the 60's were a lot of dough even back then....and what were the discussions around gas prices then too.

As For price I think a 67 Shelby was around $4500.00 back then that was some money compared to the other cars you could get back then. Something I consider is back then you could get what you wanted you could add and subtract differnet items on the car to make it more personalized or suited to what you wanted it for. It makes for unqiueness among the cars so you may see a mustang with a benchseat in it or a mustang coupe with a 390 in it being differnet for the normal car can make something collectibile. Stuff like shelbys came pretty much like we see them today. People wanted a Bada** car so they found what they liked and bought it. I think folks bought the orginal cars for fun and to drive they didn't think about collectibility in the future.

As for gas prices I think the when the gas crunch hit in the 70s prices on gas drove alot of people away from some types of cars into the economy model cars. Then people started coming back to stuff like Shelbys in the 80s and then the collectibility started to show up as a reason to have one. Me I want one to drive :D

Hey guys do you think that all the discussion regarding prioce etc may have also occurred back in the 60's. I mean back then the price of a new GT350 (65-66) wasn't exactly cheap but a few folks actually stepped up and bought them. I am not sure whether they considered collectability but correct me if I'm wrong, but the Shalby's new in the 60's were a lot of dough even back then....and what were the discussions around gas prices then too.

Hi, wingnut...

From my recollection, gas was about .19 reg .22 Prem (101 octane Amoco super premium) and that was in NYC. I bought my '68 390 's'code for $50 over invoice at $3,006. Shelbys were about 1/3 more. Even a GT500KR fastback listed at $4,472 and a GT500 at $4,317. There were no ADMs. Dealers made money by selling cars and manufacturers were happy to make as many as they could manufacture.

Three-five years later they went used for a bit less than a new vanilla mustang (actually that was less than typical depreciation) here in the northeast. Perfectly kept 5 year old specimens owned by enthusiasts were still selling substantially below their new price and prices slowly descended. It wasn't until emissions regs caught the manufacturers off guard and forced the manufacturers to start shipping crap (1974 was a turning pint) that the Shelbys (and all hi-pos) started gaining ground -- slowly at first and than faster and faster (probably as the public realized that was an age that isn't coming back.

Even 5 year old CS Cobras could be had in the late 60s for about $4-5K small-block and 6-8K big-block. While the Shelby mustangs gradually kept increasing, the CS Cobras started rocketing upward. The rest is history. But they all initially depreciated fairly typically to other hi-po rides. This is just my recollection and I'm sure there are regional differences, but I was a car nut since I was 12 and I was 18 in '68, so should give you a fairly good idea of how things were. Hope it helps.

-Dan

Hi, wingnut...

From my recollection, gas was about .19 reg .22 Prem (101 octane Amoco super premium) and that was in NYC. I bought my '68 390 's'code for $50 over invoice at $3,006. Shelbys were about 1/3 more. Even a GT500KR fastback listed at $4,472 and a GT500 at $4,317. There were no ADMs. Dealers made money by selling cars and manufacturers were happy to make as many as they could manufacture.

Three-five years later they went used for a bit less than a new vanilla mustang (actually that was less than typical depreciation) here in the northeast. Perfectly kept 5 year old specimens owned by enthusiasts were still selling substantially below their new price and prices slowly descended. It wasn't until emissions regs caught the manufacturers off guard and forced the manufacturers to start shipping crap (1974 was a turning pint) that the Shelbys (and all hi-pos) started gaining ground -- slowly at first and than faster and faster (probably as the public realized that was an age that isn't coming back.

Even 5 year old CS Cobras could be had in the late 60s for about $4-5K small-block and 6-8K big-block. While the Shelby mustangs gradually kept increasing, the CS Cobras started rocketing upward. The rest is history. But they all initially depreciated fairly typically to other hi-po rides. This is just my recollection and I'm sure there are regional differences, but I was a car nut since I was 12 and I was 18 in '68, so should give you a fairly good idea of how things were. Hope it helps.

-Dan

Gee, your my age, and your memory is still good. I never heard of an ADM or MAF or any of that other crap until the Viper came out. Excuse me, some Ferrari's but that's probably not a fair comparision. I ended up with a 74 Mustang II in the gas crunch, what a piece of crap. It was a sad day for all of us.

Archived