TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vibration in 3rd

vipereatr

My 08 GT 500 has a vibration in the transmission when in 3rd gear - only when accelerating, not coasting or maintaining speed. I have seen other transmission vibrate in a similar fashion on other cars. The vibration is most pronounced between about 25 to 30 mph and sometimes even produces an audible "rattle" in the shifter. I don't believe this is a big deal unless, of course, something changes. Is anybody experiencing a similar vibration? I don't plan on taking any action at present (IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT), but would like to hear from y'all.

My 08 GT 500 has a vibration in the transmission when in 3rd gear - only when accelerating, not coasting or maintaining speed. I have seen other transmission vibrate in a similar fashion on other cars. The vibration is most pronounced between about 25 to 30 mph and sometimes even produces an audible "rattle" in the shifter. I don't believe this is a big deal unless, of course, something changes. Is anybody experiencing a similar vibration? I don't plan on taking any action at present (IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT), but would like to hear from y'all.

25 to 30 mph is too slow to be driving in 3rd gear.

(IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT).

IF IT AIN'T BROKE FIX IT TILL IT IS...............Take action and check it with the dealer...usually those things do not get better..they just get worse.

when i slow down to exit freeway 3d gear with 30 mph is not uncommon for me ........... no rattling.

+1..... There is nothing wrong with your car or transmission... But I will definitely say that you should not be driving 25-30 mpb in 3rd gear... I bet you don't have any problems in first or second at that speed... you are definitely lagging on the transmission at that speed in that gear... Just my $.02

LIKE THE OTHER GUYS SAID DROP IT DOWN A GEAR AT 25-35 MPH AND YOU WILL BE ALL GOOD. 25-35 MPH IS TO SLOW FOR 3RD GEAR.

Sorry guys, I don't buy the lugging theory. Lugging should be just a function of RPM and throttle postion, meaning the call will "lug" at that RPM no matter the gear selection or speed. I do know how to recognize lugging, which I believe the technical definition of lugging is: Lugging the engine, i.e., low RPM with a lot of throttle (manifold pressure). This does not appear to be lugging - happens in 3rd gear only. The car is headed for Super Snakedom, so I will try to get my local friendly Ford Authorized Service Technician to observe the issue prior to the rebirth. Thanks for the opinons, though.

Sorry guys, I don't buy the lugging theory. Lugging should be just a function of RPM and throttle postion, meaning the call will "lug" at that RPM no matter the gear selection or speed. I do know how to recognize lugging, which I believe the technical definition of lugging is: Lugging the engine, i.e., low RPM with a lot of throttle (manifold pressure). This does not appear to be lugging - happens in 3rd gear only. The car is headed for Super Snakedom, so I will try to get my local friendly Ford Authorized Service Technician to observe the issue prior to the rebirth. Thanks for the opinons, though.

I agree with the rest 30 mph is to slow for 3rd gear The definition of lugging is putting undue strain on you're drive train and that is causing the problem. Thats why they put so many gears in this transmission, So when you are driving youre car the motor is in the HP range needed to move the car.

You're car at idle is producing very little hp and I bet thet if you check the rpm at 30 mph you are at or very near idle causing this condition.

Keep us posted as I am curious to see if I am wrong.

Thanks

Art

It sounds to me like it needs to go to the dealer and be checked out. Even if you are lugging the engine, if you are giving throotle, the drive train should be tight. No vibrations from the trans should be felt. Unless the third gear syncro is worn ( I doubt it, the tremac is tough.) Just my opinion, 250,000 mile trans. will make some noise, I bet you dont have 250,000 on it.

It sounds to me like it needs to go to the dealer and be checked out. Even if you are lugging the engine, if you are giving throotle, the drive train should be tight. No vibrations from the trans should be felt. Unless the third gear syncro is worn ( I doubt it, the tremac is tough.) Just my opinion, 250,000 mile trans. will make some noise, I bet you dont have 250,000 on it.

Can't hurt to go to the dealer and let them take a look.

I am someone with a June 06 build car that has not had any transmission issue. Some would say, "yet." Mine has about 6,000 miles on it, but it is not a garage queen. I only live five miles from work and have three cars... good luck with it. Black with the black stripes is stunning, by the way.

:happy feet:

Can't hurt to go to the dealer and let them take a look.

I am someone with a June 06 build car that has not had any transmission issue. Some would say, "yet." Mine has about 6,000 miles on it, but it is not a garage queen. I only live five miles from work and have three cars... good luck with it. Black with the black stripes is stunning, by the way.

:happy feet:

Yes, every one agrees black is the fastest color.

Just an update on vibration - at 25 MPH without accelerating the "mileage computer" is calling for an upshift into third. When I do the engine is turning 1500 RPM and lugging (unless under significant throttle) should not be an issue. Today is a great day and took the car to Colorado Springs - no issues with vibration once I started checking. When the vibration is there it is proportional to speed - the faster I'm going in third the faster the vibration until about 35 or 40 when the harmonic seems to go away. My hand on the gear selector says the vibration is still there but not pronounced at all.

The time that I am noticing the vibration is when I am driving to work, so this may be some sort of gear oil temperature condition. Today, when I started checking the car had warmed all the way up to normal operating temperatures and no vibration at all. Probably 3.73 gears will change all this.

Hmm, you know, now that you mention it...I get the same problem from a standing start in 2nd....

You think maybe Ford is building something wrong? Or people dont know how to drive a stick?

I shift into third at 60...the dummy light you are following is self explainatory.

I wouldn't sweat it....drive it till it breaks, then warranty it.

As another from Colorado, my GT500 is in the exact same environment. During this past winter and up to today, I have not noticed any abnormal vibration. Today, I intentionally tried to copy your driving style and still no issues. Like others, take it to the dealer for peace of mind.

As another from Colorado, my GT500 is in the exact same environment. During this past winter and up to today, I have not noticed any abnormal vibration. Today, I intentionally tried to copy your driving style and still no issues. Like others, take it to the dealer for peace of mind.

+1

There should be no problems shifting to 3rd at 25 to 30 MPH; I do it all the time with no issues. In fact the Mustang Owner's manual suggests shifting to 3rd at 19 MPH, probably for fuel economy. Although this is for the Mustang, I don't think it's any different for the GT500.

+1

There should be no problems shifting to 3rd at 25 to 30 MPH; I do it all the time with no issues. In fact the Mustang Owner's manual suggests shifting to 3rd at 19 MPH, probably for fuel economy. Although this is for the Mustang, I don't think it's any different for the GT500.

+1

if you look at the yellow arrow indicator for preserving the MPG and to have economical burning of the 91 octane and above...30 mph is within the range of third gear.

+1 I copied this style last night also and No issues.

Guys,

I think if you are so concerned with saving MPG and shifting into 3rd at 25 MPH you should have bought a Hybrid... These cars are meant to be run...Not nit picking ... Just my $.02

Cut me a slack here...do you think that i bought this car for saving gasoline...? :hysterical:

I am having a proper break in of the engine and following the yellow arrow until at least 1000 miles ..then i will have freedom to set up the svt light..

Any way ..It was nice today and i took her out..20-30 miles in 3d No problem...30 miles in 4th..no problems ...45-50 in 5th and 6th no problem...If you have a vibration issue check it with the dealer.

Archived