TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Horse Power

Larger throttle body & tune, a paxton would be nice though.

I don't know anything about superchargers other than threads here that say HP goes from 325 to around 450. Thats unreal! I like the idea but I'm not sure what to do. There is the Whipple and the Paxton. What's the difference? Reliability? I have to say I am a Ford and Shelby nut case and this is the first Shelby I've ever had so I want to it right.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

I don't know anything about superchargers other than threads here that say HP goes from 325 to around 450. Thats unreal! I like the idea but I'm not sure what to do. There is the Whipple and the Paxton. What's the difference? Reliability? I have to say I am a Ford and Shelby nut case and this is the first Shelby I've ever had so I want to it right.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Welcome Nut case Cal66! You're not alone, we have many nuts here, and you can take that anyway you want! :hysterical:

With respect to your questions and concerns, supercharging your car is probably the best and easist way to develop significant H.P. gains from your engine.

Both supercharger's are terrific, it's just a matter of personal taste. I have a paxton on my SGT, but many members here have Whipple's on their cars.

Here is the reader's digest verison of their differences; for more specific information, I would recommend doing a search because there are 100's of posts here about this subject.

The Paxton SC is a centrifical type blower, meaning that it's closer to how a turbo charger works. It has a circular impeller that spins off of a pulley and drive belt to create boost. A Turbo also has an impeller, but it's turned by exhaust gas.

The Whipple is a screw type blower, meaning that there are screws that inter-mesh with each other to create boost. The Whipple is also driven with a belt and pulley off of the crank shift too.

Regardless of which one you choose, they are both very reliable and trouble free. In the final analysis, instead of spending incremental money to get a limited amount of H.P. gain, you would be better off spending the money on a supercharger and go right to the top of the H.P. food chain.

Your going to have to install a new tune with a supercharger anyway, so why spend money on a tune that you will probably end up changing later when you decide that the H.P. you gained is still not enough to make you happy.

Believe me, there are many people here that have already come to that conclusion, and have saved hundreds of dollars going directly to a supercharger and tune.

The lower end (crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistions) on a stock 4.6 engine can handle about 510 to 520 (crank) H.P. max before those components need to be changed to forged components. Anything over 520 H.P. on the stock engine is risky.

Hope this helps.

Welcome Nut case Cal66! You're not alone, we have many nuts here, and you can take that anyway you want! :hysterical:

With respect to your questions and concerns, supercharging your car is probably the best and easist way to develop significant H.P. gains from your engine.

Both supercharger's are terrific, it's just a matter of personal taste. I have a paxton on my SGT, but many members here have Whipple's on their cars.

Here is the reader's digest verison of their differences; for more specific information, I would recommend doing a search because there are 100's of posts here about this subject.

The Paxton SC is a centrifical type blower, meaning that it's closer to how a turbo charger works. It has a circular impeller that spins off of a pulley and drive belt to create boost. A Turbo also has an impeller, but it's turned by exhaust gas.

The Whipple is a screw type blower, meaning that there are screws that inter-mesh with each other to create boost. The Whipple is also driven with a belt and pulley off of the crank shift too.

Regardless of which one you choose, they are both very reliable and trouble free. In the final analysis, instead of spending incremental money to get a limited amount of H.P. gain, you would be better off spending the money on a supercharger and go right to the top of the H.P. food chain.

Your going to have to install a new tune with a supercharger anyway, so why spend money on a tune that you will probably end up changing later when you decide that the H.P. you gained is still not enough to make you happy.

Believe me, there are many people here that have already come to that conclusion, and have saved hundreds of dollars going directly to a supercharger and tune.

The lower end (crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistions) on a stock 4.6 engine can handle about 510 to 520 (crank) H.P. max before those components need to be changed to forged components. Anything over 520 H.P. on the stock engine is risky.

Hope this helps.

Really appreciate your advice. It makes a whole lotta sense to go with the S/C based on your description. I just got off the phone with Kenny at SPP and he said there is more bottom end with the Whipple and more high end with the Paxton. What do you do about beefing up the auto trans and is it necessary to modify any other components (other than going up to the better Baer brakes) downstream from the motor, such as torsion bars, suspension components etc.?

Archived