TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SF Bay Area Red/White In MY Driveway

TAHOE GT

So here is the whole story:

(Pardon the long post, but it’s a good story)

My Mom always wanted a Mustang. She really wanted to buy one new in 1965, but couldn’t afford it as a single mother. I am a high school auto technology teacher, and my wife teaches math. so money doesn’t grow own trees at my house. Last year, my mother passed away very unexpectedly. I found myself with enough money to buy the Shelby, I knew from the day that Ford announced production of the Shelby that I would do what I could to buy one. So….

Last year in September I asked an acquaintance of mine who happens to own a Ford dealership about getting on a list. He told me that he had stopped his salesmen from selling list spots as they had sold ten and he thought that they would only receive eight cars. Fast forward to August ’07.

While surfing Edmonds.com, I decided to put in several dealer inquiries about a Shelby. Some of the responses:

“Call us and we’ll let you know how we are handling this…”

“We’ve sold our previous cars through bid, around $20,000 over MSRP” :cry:

“We’ll let you know when we get ours. Bring buckets of cash.” :rant: and

“Yeah, we got one on the lot, now.” :woohoo:

So I went home and asked my wife how she felt about driving to the coast (though heavy commute traffic). What a sport. We loaded our kids in the car for a long drive. We’ve got to get to the dealer in 1.5 hrs before they close. :shift: On the way my wife is feeling sick (you know, the thought of buying a “toy” for big $$). My son says, “Daddy, my stomach hurts.” So, I pull off of the freeway to get some ginger ale. When I get back on, I got on the wrong entrance heading toward San Francisco and a bridge. That’s bad. I’ve got NO time for a detour like that. I managed to get off the freeway before the bridge, but now I’m in Oakland on surface streets and only a sense of what direction I need to be heading to get back to the freeway. Next thing, BLAAHHHKKK!! from the backseat. Oh, hell. Quick pull over, get out, deal with vomit soaked child. The wife is now REALLY nauseous. WHAT FUN!!!

We finally get to the dealer. The Shelby’s beautiful. Let’s see about the financing, etc. STICKER SHOCK!!! Yes, I paid too much. Did I have much of a choice? Time will tell. So, now we went to dinner, as I enticed my son for the long ride as I promise dinner at a restaurant he likes on the coast. We eat dinner, my son in his boxers. On the way out, my wife is standing by the kitchen and gets a big whiff of shrimp on the grill. She is fatally allergic to shrimp. OH, S#*T!! So, now she’s starting to wheeze, cough and generally suffer. She takes some Benedryl that we kept in the car, and 15-20 minutes later is doing okay. What an adventure. On the way home we’re discussing her level of discomfort (fear) about spending the money. Finally, at around midnight I give-up.

The next day, yesterday, I called the dealer and cancelled the deal. F#&K!!! :cry::banghead: :tequila:

Later, that day I saw my wife and she says, ”Did you get the messages from the dealer?”

??????

Also, apparently the wife didn’t sleep all that well the night last night (good news for me) so maybe sleep deprivation has clouded her judgment. We work out the family needs and what needs to happen for the purchase to occur. Call the dealer. Work out details. Get rid of the kids. Drive like hell :burnout: as I now have an hour to get the 63 miles to the coast through heavy commute traffic before the dealer closes. Fortunately, the salesman/manager was willing to stay late. :party2: It's a done deal. :woohoo:

He said later that he had told his wife that he really wanted to sell the car to me as I “was not an asshole with a wad of cash.” That’s nice.

I only had three different people seriously check out the car on the way home, but it was dark.

I LOVE that whine as the engine speeds-up. The cera-metallic clutch takes a little getting used to. The Sirius tuner takes a lot of attention. I think I’ll set my instrument lights to the same color as my ’65.

I plan on having the Shelby at the track on Wed. next. I’ll post ET’s/MPH.

Thanks for reading. I had to share with those who’d care.

I can't get rid of the stupid grin.

I've been grinning for 4 days straight now. It's a great feeling!

Congrats on your new shelby. You were smart taking your wife with you. I bought mine without telling my wife first.

The Shelby is not to bad to sleep in either...

I've been grinning for 4 days straight now. It's a great feeling!

Congrats on your new shelby. You were smart taking your wife with you. I bought mine without telling my wife first.

The Shelby is not to bad to sleep in either...

Wow...you do live on the edge... :fan:

Archived