TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT collides with private airplane

emailcm

Being a pilot myself I could see this happening.

Hell I hope my wife does not do this to mine.

I see this playing out as husband drives Shelby to go fly his plane, comes back to the airport after 2 hours of punching holes in the sky and there sits the wife in the nice little white SGT....Waits for hubby to park, put in the nose chock and tries to run him over (he barely gets out of the way) and she takes out both of his mistresses in one swoop.

This is not a American Based plane it would be in the NTSB already as an accident investigation. (teach those classes for ERAU as a side job). Further being stationed in Germany for 5 years it could be in Germany and it could be have American Armed Forces plates on it. Or it could be any European country for that matter with the same American Plates. They make them for us to fit our cars.

Yes this is not the first car/aircraft incident...

Those are amazing!

I can imagine the conversation:

Policeman "Man those are some great breaks"

Pilot "I need them"

Police " Do you know how fast you were going?"

Pilot "Mach 1.4"

Police "I'm going to have to write you up for going 1400 over the limit"

Pilot "Can I pay with my GSA Visa? Would you show me your insurance card?"....... :hysterical:

Real Deal. This actually happened about 15 minutes from me at the Highlands Airport in Abingdon,Va. Apparently the driver had 5000 feet of open tarmack an was testing how fast it would go when he lost control. His isurance is also not covering the accident and neither is the insurance of the planes owner.

Skip

Real Deal. This actually happened about 15 minutes from me at the Highlands Airport in Abingdon,Va. Apparently the driver had 5000 feet of open tarmack an was testing how fast it would go when he lost control. His isurance is also not covering the accident and neither is the insurance of the planes owner.

Skip

Holy shit. I hope you're kidding, but for some reason I don't think you are.

Here is a link to a 1980 (yes 1980) Cessna 414 for $699,000 similar to that aircraft.

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_view.js...xxxxregionid=-1

Could you imagine explaining to your wife that you did around $10,000 damage to your SGT, but you also totalled out a $699,000 aircraft in the process and the insurance is not covering either.

I wouldn't be able to decide if I should call by "divorce" lawyer, or my "bankruptcy" lawyer first. :hysterical:

HSURB

Jeff, Look...hurry look. I censored myself :D

I noticed! Your continued effort to improve the quality of postings in support of our continuing effort to reduce the "signal to noise" ratio is noted with pleasure. Your dedication of time and talent across a broad range of topics here, and in other forums, has been especially notable and in keeping of the highest traditions of Team Shelby and reflects great credit upon yourself and the entire Team Shelby membership!

I salute you!

:happy feet:

Skip

Then I stand corrected, but if that's the case....

WHAT A JACKASS! WHAT A MAROON!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe that we have the winner of the Bonehead of the year award, and it's only April.

Obviously it wasn't 5,000 feet of LATERIAL open tarmack that he was playing on, was it? :hysterical:

CHA-CHING!!

Skip

Do you have a news reference or something? I can find nothing on this.

Holy shit. I hope you're kidding, but for some reason I don't think you are.

Here is a link to a 1980 (yes 1980) Cessna 414 for $699,000 similar to that aircraft.

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_view.js...xxxxregionid=-1

Could you imagine explaining to your wife that you did around $10,000 damage to your SGT, but you also totalled out a $699,000 aircraft in the process and the insurance is not covering either.

I wouldn't be able to decide if I should call by "divorce" lawyer, or my "bankruptcy" lawyer first. :hysterical:

HSURB

OUCH!.......DUFUS!

Then I stand corrected, but if that's the case....

WHAT A JACKASS! WHAT A MAROON!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe that we have the winner of the Bonehead of the year award, and it's only April.

Obviously it wasn't 5,000 feet of LATERIAL open tarmack that he was playing on, was it? :hysterical:

CHA-CHING!!

Well if that is truly the case that this happened in the US the owner must be loaded anyway, and he must have crappy airplane insurance or none because usually they cover everything except an "act of God".

I just searched NTSB and find it very odd that there is nothing about this in the database there either, and there is no front VA plate on the car. I also ran a database search on the tail number and can not even find the tail number.

Well if that is truly the case that this happened in the US the owner must be loaded anyway, and he must have crappy airplane insurance or none because usually they cover everything except an "act of God".

I just searched NTSB and find it very odd that there is nothing about this in the database there either, and there is no front VA plate on the car. I also ran a database search on the tail number and can not even find the tail number.

Not that unusual for it not to be found on the NTSB site. Technically, the authorities only classify this as an "incident" not an "accident". To be an accident, there had to be - and I kid you not - "an intent to fly". Now, I know the SGT owner was intending to fly, but the aircraft was not! Also, there is some additional requirements for it to make accident status, bodily (besides the car and plane) injuries for instance.

SEF

AKA:

• 1 month later...

I agree with ngnear. I'm a career pilot and that airplane was definitely on tie-down (parked). You can see the wingtip of a Cessna 172 or 182 to the right of the aircraft, a Beechcraft in the background both parked. You can also see the tie-down ropes tied near the nacelles of both motors to the ground anchors. As far as the damage goes, it looks quite believable to me. The nose gear assembly on an airplane is very sturdy, but cannot take much lateral load (which is exactly what happened to this particular one.) The damage to the SGT's roof looks legit, the airplanes are balanced quite well at the wing so there isn't actually that much weight on the nose wheel to crush the roof.

It's heart-breaking for me to see both vehicles in that condition.

Sorry for the lecture, but that's what you get when you have a person who's been teaching people to fly for the last 5 years, we don't know when to shut up!

I agree with ngnear. I'm a career pilot and that airplane was definitely on tie-down (parked). You can see the wingtip of a Cessna 172 or 182 to the right of the aircraft, a Beechcraft in the background both parked. You can also see the tie-down ropes tied near the nacelles of both motors to the ground anchors. As far as the damage goes, it looks quite believable to me. The nose gear assembly on an airplane is very sturdy, but cannot take much lateral load (which is exactly what happened to this particular one.) The damage to the SGT's roof looks legit, the airplanes are balanced quite well at the wing so there isn't actually that much weight on the nose wheel to crush the roof.

It's heart-breaking for me to see both vehicles in that condition.

Sorry for the lecture, but that's what you get when you have a person who's been teaching people to fly for the last 5 years, we don't know when to shut up!

Thanks for chiming in with an experienced view...

I think it's a real photo, the "doing donuts at the airport" theory is just SO plausible!

And I agree, it's SAD...

Jer

Archived