TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT collides with private airplane

emailcm

Not good!

I suppose now's a good time to put in a claim for the ol' hood scoop fix!

This also goes a long way towards supporting the "White is faster" argument. When you not only have to look out for other cars, but aircraft!?!

First, my lame joke....

From the looks of that picture, it appears that there was bad weather that day so the pilot must have been on instruments only and didn't see the car in front of him/her.

Now the reality....

PHOTOSHOP to me folks!

LET'S BE ON OUR TOES FELLOW FOOLS; DON'T FORGET TOMORROW IS APRIL 1ST.

Nice try bucco, but you'll have to get up just a little earler next time.... :hysterical:

Happy April....fools.

I hit a wood dresser on I-94 with my super pinto back in 1976. It fell off a pick-up in the other lane and started to slide right towards me, I couldn't hit the brakes or swerve because I was in heavy traffic, WHAM!, explain that to your insurance company. Friggan truck never stopped either. I'd like to seen the look on there face when they got to where they were going and went in back to unload.

It looks pretty real to me. You can see the damage to the roof and top of the windshield on the SGT where the belly of the plane would have hit was the nose gear was sheared off.

The photo itself may have been staged. As in the nose gear was placed on the hood of the vehicle after the incident, just too show how it happened. Im not so sure the landing gear would have stayed on the hood after it was sheared off.

In looking at the photos, that appears to be the real deal. No photoshop work there. You can even see the damage to the nose of the plane on the pilots side.

Notice the the windshield on the car and roof is collapsed where it would have met the nose of the plane.

I do think the landing gear was placed back on the hood of the car.

What is unfortunate is that it appears that both of the props on the plane stuck the ground. If I understand correctly, that would qualify as a "prop strike" and would require that both engines be fully torn down. Cost is probably around $50,000 per engine for the tear down and rebuild. It also appears the plane has been placed on wooden stands to lift it, as well as the props back up off the ground.

Thank goodness for insurance, however this GT owners policy will most likely not be up for renewal next time around. Could you imagine telling your insurance company your car ran into a $550,000 parked plane by accident.

HSURB

I have studied the images pretty close myself and I have to agree that it looks pretty legit. Plane looks like it was parked and the the SGT drove right under it's nose and took off the front gear. I also agree that it looks like the gear might have been placed back on the hood for the photo op. There is other damage to that plane that seems to support the rest of the damage to the car. Most likely a Shelby owner who also owns a plane was on the black top and lost control of the car somehow. Insurance is going to love this guy! Shelby's are not cheap, neither are planes!

But hey- the plane was white and the SGT is white so scratches won't show as much on the hood and roof. He has that going for him... LOL I think I feel more sorry for the owner of the plane.

Well from my prespective...

1. The roof of the SGT in the first picture doesn't quite match up to the windsheild "A" pillar on the far side. The roof seems to be slightly blurred and oversized.

2. It would seem to me that if the nose gear was knocked out from underneath the plane by the front of the SGT, the sheer weight of the airplane would have caused significantly more damage to it, not to mention that the nose of the aircraft would have more damage to it due to landing on top of the car. I would also think that one or both of the SGT's front tires would be blown out too.

3. Wouldn't the landing gear itself have far greater damage to it than what appears in the picture?

I still suspect a hoax. Take one photo of a legitmately damaged SGT, super-impose it onto a picture of an aircraft that had it's front landing gear damaged in another manner, and poof! Instant gag picture.

I'll certainly conceede that the incident could have happened, but my gut instinct on this one tells me it's a gag. Perhaps because it's a day before fool's day.

It's a Cessna 414 I think. They are very balanced on the centerline which is very near to the mains so the nose wheel doesn't really carry that much weight. If it is a hoax, it is a very good one. I think I can check the FAA records and see if this is real. They used to keep track of everything even ground collisions. B17drvr can help with this.

If it is a US plane, the N number is N-O-R-M; well at least it used to be :hysterical:

I guess im thinking its a fake cause I really dont see a nose gear sheering off that easy. There isnt much damage to the front of the car indicating to me there wasnt a hard impact. I know some of these cars that have been in wrecks have held up really well, better then I would have thought, but I still dont see the gear sheering off that easy.

Hey stump breaker, maybe the CIA is driving SGTs and tried to bust a drug dealer by slamming the Govt. Shelby into the drug smuggling plane. SUDDEN.

Actually it is very easy to explain. The WHITE SGT had beaten all of the black SGTs and was looking for something more competitive.

It's a Cessna 414 I think. They are very balanced on the centerline which is very near to the mains so the nose wheel doesn't really carry that much weight. If it is a hoax, it is a very good one. I think I can check the FAA records and see if this is real. They used to keep track of everything even ground collisions. B17drvr can help with this.

If it is a US plane, the N number is N-O-R-M; well at least it used to be :hysterical:

Looks like a foriegn registered aircraft. DGORM --that would be a german owned aircraft. I can find nothing on the NTSB database about this. So if it happened it was not in the USA.

Actually it is very easy to explain. The WHITE SGT had beaten all of the black SGTs and was looking for something more competitive.

:hysterical3: This logic would suggest the car would be swift enough to "AVOID COLLISION"?????????????????? :hysterical:

Looks like a foriegn registered aircraft. DGORM --that would be a german owned aircraft. I can find nothing on the NTSB database about this. So if it happened it was not in the USA.

After looking at it again, I think you are right. The airport looks like it may be in Germany also. The whole plane is skewed slightly to the right and rotated like it may be in the crash position except for the nose being lifted onto the stands.

After looking at it again, I think you are right. The airport looks like it may be in Germany also. The whole plane is skewed slightly to the right and rotated like it may be in the crash position except for the nose being lifted onto the stands.

Just observations.........

First that clearly is not a German license plate. I know people can take cars where ever they want with any countries plate but just wanted to point out its not a German plate.

Second, How the :censored: can you look at that picture and say "The airport looks like it may be in Germany also."? I was thinking when I first saw it, it looks almost like the airport in Winchester VA (which is right next to my house). But to say it looks like an airport in another country........Did you spend a lot of time in Germany?

Jeff, Look...hurry look. I censored myself :D

I truely believe that those pictures are real. Take it from an engineer (ngnear)

1. The plane is slightly rotated on the ground...look at the lines on the ground where the plane should be parked. They do not park these plans at a whim.

2. It is physically possible that he car slide under the plane...as mentioned previously, an airplane's main wheels are located just behind the center of gravity. Thus allowing for easy rotation for liftoff. This makes the front of the aircraft relatively light.

3. Shearing off the the main gear to side is possible. The landing load is from front to back, not side to side. Even with that said, we still do not know how fast the car was going or where it actually stopped.

3. Why would anyone go that that much trouble to photo shop two photos with exact duplication such as the gear on the hood.

Now with all that said, I do think that it is possible that the front gear may have been placed on the hood. But it really does not matter, the car still hit the plane and slid under it. (Sure the photo was somewhat staged for the photo op...make up!...where's my make-up?) :cry:

Plane nose gear is not really meant to take a lateral load, and it looks like the car slid into the parked plane from the left (pilot's) side. You can see where the gear tore out. Yes, as somebody said, the nose of the plane is very light. I think the plane ended up sitting on the car. There is no rear window damage, and there sure as hell would have been if the car went completely under.

I think they jacked the plane up and scooted the car out from underneath (you can do that by pulling the tail down, sitting on it, etc.), and set the nose down on the scaffold. It does NOT look like the props struck the ground. The photo is after they did that, so it is staged. Can't tell whether the gear was set there afterwards, but I'd bet it wasn't, just because it's too damn heavy to pick up and put there just for a picture.

If it's a photoshop, it's awfully good.

That being said, it ain't the first time I've seen a car smack into a plane. It's usually the wing or the tail, though, often at night when the ramp is dark. Planes stick out way far into unexpected places and drivers misjudge the space they occupy. In Alaska, a car rear-ending a plane getting ready to take off from the highway used to be a cliche. Planes don't have taillights, and the pilot can't see out the back.

Well from my prespective...

1. The roof of the SGT in the first picture doesn't quite match up to the windsheild "A" pillar on the far side. The roof seems to be slightly blurred and oversized...

The blurred and oversized roofline appears to be the aircraft engine nacelle just behind the car in the picture. Car and Nacelle are both white...

Looks like legit accident, but staged photo op.

Keith

First that clearly is not a German license plate. I know people can take cars where ever they want with any countries plate but just wanted to point out its not a German plate.

Second, How the :censored: can you look at that picture and say "The airport looks like it may be in Germany also."? I was thinking when I first saw it, it looks almost like the airport in Winchester VA (which is right next to my house). But to say it looks like an airport in another country........Did you spend a lot of time in Germany?

I've just spent 2 weeks in Germany & Czech Rep. (in fact I'm in Cyprus now), but during my stay in Prague, I saw a Caddilac STS with California plates (outside of the US Embassy), and an Explorer with Texas plates driving down the road. Point being, it doesn't need local plates...this pic could be a local airport in Northern California (where I live) during the winter with the green rolling hills...

Yes I have spent a lot of time in Germany; my daughter lives there. I'm only guessing about the location. The observation that the plane is probably registered in Germany is one reason. It is also strange that this accident with a Cessna 414 hasn't shown up yet on the NTSB site although others from Feb this year have. If it had occured in Germany it probably wouldn't show up on the NTSB data. Of course, it could be too recent.

Archived