TEAM SHELBY FORUM

how do you maintain the interior from dirt & debris?

i am looking for some tricks of the trade from the vert owners. i have a coupe but i drive it daily and one thing that i get tired of maintaining is the interior from all the dirt, dust & debris that gets into the interior. i supose i could drive with the windows up all the time but where is the fun in that with the california weather?

I use our Dyson vacuum for the floor and seats first. Then a damp micro fiber towel to wipe down the seats after. In So. Cal. I drive with the top down most of the time and haven't noticed a great deal of build up.

there are some days that that the dust is pretty bad on some the roads i drive. after a few days i can rub my hand across the dash or the passenger seat and there is a thin coat of buildup. i am getting tired of wiping down the interior a few times a week. problem is i cannot stand letting this go ignored.

I spend a lot of time detailing ours. Besides, driving the Gt500, detailing is good therpy here in Minnesota, since we have such cruddy weather. I wipr the interior down after a cruise and use a good leather conditioner at least once weekly on the leather, making sure to not let dirt build up in the creases. There is no replacement for TLC on convertibles. Personally, I don't mind at all. My copilot has a name for it, OCD!! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Ber in mind this is not my DD.

I went to a local detail shop when I first got my new Shelby. I wanted some ideas on keeping it looking showroom condition. One trick that he told me that has worked great for me now going into the second full year of having mine was he told me to go to Wal-Mart and buy a set of black bath towels. I bought both the large bath towels and the smaller hand towels for a few dollars. It takes a little time but once you have them folded into a snug fit they fit very nicely both in front and back, do not stand out, and I have no problem with my feet and pedals. On top of the black towels I purchased a set of black car mats again at Wal-mart and placed them on top of the towels front and back. Now once a month I carefully lift the towels off the carpet and shake them out and place them back. I have almost 6,000 miles on mine now and the carpet underneath is still clean and free of dirt and dust like day one.

My previous Mustang was a vert. I did not use any of the common cleaning products because they tend to attract dust. I cleaned the interior of the car with a damp cloth (simple green for tough spots). That way the new dust just laid on top of the surfaces and the next time I dropped the top the loose dust got sucked out by the wind. Of course cleaning any vert seems to be a never ending process.

I use the mini swiffer duster with a very light mist of R.O. and Simple Green for dust removal and ICE Total Interior Care to finish it.

When the times comes, I'll use paste saddle soap and a leather conditioner like Lexal or a light Mink Oil.

And for the nooks and crannies (WTF is a cranny anyway?) I use compressed air regulated down to 20 P.S.I. or you could use canned air to blow the dust out of those areas and then vacuum the interior as normal.

The headliner is another dust magnet too, and I recommending using a microfiber cloth (dry) to pull the loose dust off it because the friction between the two fabrics creates static electricity that pulls the dust onto the cloth.

Oh, when you are doing your full detail, don't forget to put the top down partically so you can gain access to the boot area where the top stows and get it cleaned up too.

Hope this helps.

Do any of you have issues using leather conditioners on your seats?

My problem is the stuff gets stuck in the perforated holes in the leather and then hardens and becomes almost impossible to get out.

I use meguires which is good stuff but those dam holes. Im thinking maybe to not even condition that part of the leather as it is not as brittle it seems ?

Hey guys, sorry for changing subjects but does anyone know how to take off car wax from the flat black part of the front and rear lower panels of the car?

miguel

Miguel, A few months ago, another member posted that they had sucess using a pencil eraser to remove the wax off of the black plastic surfaces. Never tried it myself, but it sounds like it might work.

Do any of you have issues using leather conditioners on your seats?

My problem is the stuff gets stuck in the perforated holes in the leather and then hardens and becomes almost impossible to get out.

I use meguires which is good stuff but those dam holes. Im thinking maybe to not even condition that part of the leather as it is not as brittle it seems ?

Chuck, for what it's worth, I use Lexol leather cleaner and then follow up with Lexol's leather conditioner and I do not experience any buildup in the the seating areas that you mentioned.

The Meguire's product might have allot of wax in it which could be the reason why you are having the hardening and buildup issue.

Wal-Mart and buy a set of black bath towels. I bought both the large bath towels and the smaller hand towels for a few dollars. It takes a little time but once you have them folded into a snug fit they fit very nicely both in front and back, do not stand out,

Nice, I think I will try this trick.

I use compressed air regulated down to 20 P.S.I. or you could use canned air to blow the dust out of those areas and then vacuum the interior as normal.

I will use compressed air or, I'll put the top down and use a small leaf blower. both work well depending on the situation.

The headliner is another dust magnet too, and I recommending using a microfiber cloth (dry) to pull the loose dust off it because the friction between the two fabrics creates static electricity that pulls the dust onto the cloth.

Check out the picks I've included, again I use a M/F cloth but I find this roller works GREAT on the out side as well as the inside. It is a pink (was a pink) colored sticky rubber roller. It is great for removing every thing that get on your top except bugs. It doesn't rub anything into your top; instead it lifts it off. When its stops being sticky you simple wash it with liquid soap and water and continue cleaning.

Oh, when you are doing your full detail, don't forget to put the top down partically so you can gain access to the boot area where the top stows and get it cleaned up too.

Nice, I need to do that.

Archived