TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Care and Feeding

cal66

I just bought a "new" GT-H Vert, will get it in a few weeks. I see a lot of threads here regarding good/bad service issues (car washed after service not requested, problems with rear end covered by warranty, fuel pump, and others). I am in S. Orange County, CA, and would like to hear from anyone who has advice for a new owner who has just switched back from foreign to the Finest of American Products!! Took me 25 years after selling my MOPAR to get smart again. Where to go for service, TSB, modifications, tune ups, warranty issues, performance enhancements, mechanical problems etc. Should I go to a Ford dealer and ask for the Shelby technician only or look for an independent Shelby performance shop? Are there any Shelby facilities in S. Cal or do I go to Las Vegas for any major changes?

Hi call66

Finding a good dealership is like finding a good restaurant, your satisfaction comes down to the actual technician/chef and how well they perform their job.

One of the easiest things you can do is to find a Blue Oval Certified dealership near you. A dealer becomes Blue Oval certified mainly on customer evaluations and if enough customers have a bad experience the dealer loses it Blue Oval certification. They can easily handle any warranty and maintenance items for you.

For performance upgrades I would go with the SAI factory in Vegas. There's nothing better than having performance mods done where your car was born and these mods will be entered into the registry at the same time.

Steve

PS- You will be attending the Fabulous Fords Forever event on April 20th right? Here's a link to some info on the event. Come meet and hang out with fellow Shelby enthusiasts. http://www.fordcarclubs.org/

Hi call66

Finding a good dealership is like finding a good restaurant, your satisfaction comes down to the actual technician/chef and how well they perform their job.

One of the easiest things you can do is to find a Blue Oval Certified dealership near you. A dealer becomes Blue Oval certified mainly on customer evaluations and if enough customers have a bad experience the dealer loses it Blue Oval certification. They can easily handle any warranty and maintenance items for you.

For performance upgrades I would go with the SAI factory in Vegas. There's nothing better than having performance mods done where your car was born and these mods will be entered into the registry at the same time.

Steve

PS- You will be attending the Fabulous Fords Forever event on April 20th right? Here's a link to some info on the event. Come meet and hang out with fellow Shelby enthusiasts. http://www.fordcarclubs.org/

Steve,

I just sent the full payment to the midwest, should get the documents by Friday. I have a few closed transporters lined up and will probably have the car within 14 days. If its here in time, I will plan on showing up on the 20th.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to get a s/c and 5 speed trans installed at SAI? Who should I ask?

Also looking for new 18 inch wheels 9 inch fronts and 10 inch rears. Any suggestions? Prefer black but may get chrome.

Thanks for feed back.

Steve,

I just sent the full payment to the midwest, should get the documents by Friday. I have a few closed transporters lined up and will probably have the car within 14 days. If its here in time, I will plan on showing up on the 20th.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to get a s/c and 5 speed trans installed at SAI? Who should I ask?

Also looking for new 18 inch wheels 9 inch fronts and 10 inch rears. Any suggestions? Prefer black but may get chrome.

Thanks for feed back.

Congrats on the new ride. I talked to SAI, you can get Paxton or Whipple s/c installed, the Whipple you will have to remove the strut brace. The Paxton will fit under. I went with 20X9 Black Razors front and back I have pics on my albums. Good Luck

• 2 months later...
I just bought a "new" GT-H Vert, will get it in a few weeks. I see a lot of threads here regarding good/bad service issues (car washed after service not requested, problems with rear end covered by warranty, fuel pump, and others). I am in S. Orange County, CA, and would like to hear from anyone who has advice for a new owner who has just switched back from foreign to the Finest of American Products!! Took me 25 years after selling my MOPAR to get smart again. Where to go for service, TSB, modifications, tune ups, warranty issues, performance enhancements, mechanical problems etc. Should I go to a Ford dealer and ask for the Shelby technician only or look for an independent Shelby performance shop? Are there any Shelby facilities in S. Cal or do I go to Las Vegas for any major changes?

I posted a list of repair issues on the site. Look under the GT-H Forum, then for GT-H Repair and Recall for a list of items. One very important thing to know is that a Service Bulletin is not a recall issue. With the recall, the dealer fixes the problem. A Service Bulletin issue has to be a problem and you have to tell them that. If you are not having a problem with the fuel pump, they will not replace it just because others had a problem. Just keep that in mind. So you have to go in and say you hear a noise in slow turns, then they fix it. Or you have to say that after driving awhile, when you hit the gas it does not respond right. Then they fix it. In some cases these are for cars built during certain dates. While I'm not sure, I believe there the issues for the coupes were only on early-made ones, and not on the verts. Each case is different.

When you find a good dealer/service manager, make nice. Bring donuts, ask questions and advice, anything to build a relationship. It works. One local dealer did not carry the Ford Extended Warranty. The SM told me NOT to buy the one they carried, but to get the Ford one because, while that dealer would take it, if you had a problem on the road, the dealer you limp into may not. So remember, always be nice to the people who fix your car and the people who serve you food.

Enjoy!

Archived