TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is My Watts Link Enough?

It really should be Art looking at your intended use. I, on the other hand, want to track my car frequently. That being said, I have opted to change out the weaker links in the suspension. Voltland springs, ATS double adjustable dampers, CHE adjustable upper and lower control arms, Steeda front sway bar billet mounts and UNI front sway bar links.

I went with Upper and lower control arms with Urethane bushings to tighten everything up and I put Steeda's Urethane bushings in front along with the Fays2 and so far I'm very pleased with the handling. Our wheather has been so crappy I haven't been able to put a lot of miles on since I got it done and now its torn apart for Brembo's, braided lines and drilled and slotted rotors. Hoping to autocross early april.

For now. Have 20in Razors on back order. Leaning toward Nitto 555's unless anyone has any good feedback one way or the other.

The 20's limit you somewhat on performance tire selection, but I've been running the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires (UTQG 220 AA A)and have been through several sets on different performance cars and I keep going back to them, they're excellent for the street and occasional track day and they are quite. Michelin has a 255/35/20 and 285/30/20 fitment in the PS2's that could work for you. Here's the PS2 page on the Tire Rack Michelin Pilot Sport 2.

For you guys that want a set of track tires that you can drive to the track (DOT rated) but don't want to go to a soft (UTQG 40) R rated tire, check out Michelin's new Pilot Sport Cup tires (UTQG 80 AA A); they are the OEM tire on the Porsche 911 GT3. I'm going to buy/try a set of them on the track later this summer. Here's the PSCup page at the Tire Rack Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

If you like to burn through your tires, or go to the 1/4-mile strip with them, don't buy the Michelins, go with the Nitto 555's, Toyo Proxes T1R's or BFG g-Force KDW's.

No I'm not a tire salesman, I've just had great results with Michelin tires for the past 20 years. I've also had excellent results with a BMW M5 running Hoosier R6 tires on the track, but they're soft (UTQG 40 AA A) and heat cycle out after 3-4 track outtings Hoosier R6

Hope that helps,

WP

Archived