TEAM SHELBY FORUM

725HP ~ 620RWHP

We all are awaiting the metamorphosis from a reasonable mannered 445HP to a stepped up 620RWHP (725 HP converted) SS package.

We've also read that SAI will "undo" any previous mods to validate that your car will roll out of their shop with exectly the SS package and only the SS package.

Ok, so what's next. If we take our SS to have headers or cams or anything else done to them to get to let's say 725 RWHP., does that mean we have to break down the engine. Can the stock engine handle any HP more than what SAI is delivering?

I also read in a prev thread that the internals to the tranny can only handle approx 600 HP. Does that mean that the 725+ SS package is too much for our stock trannys.

Just trying to see what the limits are with our current "inventory" before we blow a tranny or an engine since it's just about all on our own dime after installation of these upper SS packages.

What do you think.............

We all are awaiting the metamorphosis from a reasonable mannered 445HP to a stepped up 620RWHP (725 HP converted) SS package.

We've also read that SAI will "undo" any previous mods to validate that your car will roll out of their shop with exectly the SS package and only the SS package.

Ok, so what's next. If we take our SS to have headers or cams or anything else done to them to get to let's say 725 RWHP., does that mean we have to break down the engine. Can the stock engine handle any HP more than what SAI is delivering?

I also read in a prev thread that the internals to the tranny can only handle approx 600 HP. Does that mean that the 725+ SS package is too much for our stock trannys.

Just trying to see what the limits are with our current "inventory" before we blow a tranny or an engine since it's just about all on our own dime after installation of these upper SS packages.

read thru the mod/tech forum, there are few members running 725rwhp+ on the stock motor and tranny.

Go to Kenne Bells website. They tell you ALOT about what these engines can handle and HOW to get there. I believe that I read that a GT500 engine can handle 1200HP without going internal. But maybe one of these GT500 GURUs can confirm this.

michael morris

Stock motors are rated around 511 to 517 HP at the flywheel according to the SVT engine builders in Romeo. They aslo said that the motor is good for 800 HP at the flywheel, anything over that at the fly wheel & you risk something breaking if their is a manufacturing flaw from a parts supplier. The same Ford GT motor but with an aluminum block was good for 1,000 HP at the fly wheel before they had a concern.

IMO if SAI puts a SS tune in, after you get home any new programmer should be able to pull that tune out & get replaced with another, like an EVO Custom Tune that was made for your new parts. then if you ever have to switch back to the SAI-SS Tune you will need to change out EVERYTHING you added or put into the motor just as it was when you got it from SAI for it to run correctly again (including the SS tune). again this is only my opinion & should be verified by someone that does tunes for a living.

As far as adding more power, your going to hit a limit somewhere during your search for more power where the car becomes unstreetable for everyday use. if it's going to be used for drag racing only, then it shouldn't be an issue with all the proven performance upgrades out their (if you do your Research 1st) have fun & good luck with your car/motor

Stock motors are rated around 511 to 517 HP at the flywheel according to the SVT engine builders in Romeo. They aslo said that the motor is good for 800 HP at the flywheel, anything over that at the fly wheel & you risk something breaking if their is a manufacturing flaw from a parts supplier. The same Ford GT motor but with an aluminum block was good for 1,000 HP at the fly wheel before they had a concern.

IMO if SAI puts a SS tune in, after you get home any new programmer should be able to pull that tune out & get replaced with another, like an EVO Custom Tune that was made for your new parts. then if you ever have to switch back to the SAI-SS Tune you will need to change out EVERYTHING you added or put into the motor just as it was when you got it from SAI for it to run correctly again (including the SS tune). again this is only my opinion & should be verified by someone that does tunes for a living.

As far as adding more power, your going to hit a limit somewhere during your search for more power where the car becomes unstreetable for everyday use. if it's going to be used for drag racing only, then it shouldn't be an issue with all the proven performance upgrades out their (if you do your Research 1st) have fun & good luck with your car/motor

Coldy,

I was looking at the engine yesterday. You might not be able to answer this but maybe someone will. Of the 2 names on the engine. 1 is a girl. I dont have a problem with that, but the cool thing is her last name is same as my inlaws. Has anyone ever made a list of the folks names on the engines! Or of the engine builders how many are female.

Just thought it was cool to have a TAYLOR on the engine!!

michael morris

When I toured the SVT engine plant last summer, their was several Ladies building our motors. They are the best of the best as EVERYONE in the world at FoMoCo always trys to bid into these jobs when a position becomes available (from retirement or a buyout) & all possible canidates are put throught the ringer on mechanical abilities, lifting weight requirements & Especially mathematical aptitude. They (the engine builders) are really the cream of the crop & whos ever name is stamped on your motor is definetly a master mechanic/engine builder. If you look in the SHELBY magazine you'll find an article of us (as a group) touring the engine plant with some photos of a few engine builders. :)

Coldy,

I was looking at the engine yesterday. You might not be able to answer this but maybe someone will. Of the 2 names on the engine. 1 is a girl. I dont have a problem with that, but the cool thing is her last name is same as my inlaws. Has anyone ever made a list of the folks names on the engines! Or of the engine builders how many are female.

Just thought it was cool to have a TAYLOR on the engine!!

michael morris

That engine was taylor-made just for you, Mikey... :yahoo:

I have a fair amount of experience with mod motors and the truth is while they are strong they do have limits. Cobra(terminator) owners know this well. They will generally do fine between 500-600RWHP for some time if not too lean. Above that it gets dicey, especially at high rpms and on extended high speed runs. On a 5.4 motor with rods that are cracked/forged they are not as strong as the 03-04 Mustang Cobra fully forged manley rods which were pretty bullet proof even at 800 RWHP. The Cobras had Mahle Pistons with a thin ring land that would crack when the top rings expanded under high boost and butt against each other forcing them upward through the ring lands. I understand the Shelby's have a better piston now but weaker rods. That being said, at high HP and boost there is no room for mickey mouse tunes that could go lean and blow out your motor. Avoid excessive frequent high rpms as that places an exponential stressload on the rods, and don't run the car out at 140-160 for extended periods as your fuel supply might not accomodate fully, leading to a lean condition. Have fun but be nice to your beast.

The weak point on the 5.4 is the rods ( cracked forged) which when we were on tour at the plant I was told they will take up to 700 + h.p .Its to bad they didn`t use forged manley rods.These engines are well put together by people that take pride in what they are doing . It was pleasure to meet & speak with them.

Archived