TEAM SHELBY FORUM

**ATTENTION Please Read ATTENTION**

GT500_Grad

Yesterday, I was to receive a UPS delivery of all of my original parts from my GT 500 40th Anniversary conversion. But when it arrived, the only items I received was my 4 wheels. The truck driver told me that it was all he had and that the rest may be coming on another truck. So I called UPS and tried to get a number for the other truck. They told me that was the only number they had and it was everything that they picked up from SAI. So I contacted SAI to confirm everything was sent and Dave (in shipping) told me that all of my original parts were on the pallet, package properly, and shrink wrapped when it left. So I called UPS again to file a claim and they started with the whole "you signed the paper that you received everything and we can't help you" line. But after pushing the issue that I was told there would be another truck and how the wheels weren't even package in the same manner that SAI had described, they told me the pallet may have broken and that they would put out a locater to try and find the missing parts. So I am now in the process of waiting to hear a response from UPS. However,when my wife and I walked by the stack of tires in my garage today, she pointed out to me how the top one was now scuffed. After examining all my wheels, I found that every one of them had been damaged in one way or another. This is very disappointing to me because of how well I took care of my car. When it left my home for SAI it had 3 SMALL paint dings on the bumper and the front plastic fascia had some scratches underneath from an uneven driveway leaving a car show. That's it! If there was anything else I would have known. I always went over the car very well when cleaning it. The damage to the wheels, at least to me, does not look like something that would have happened in a garage while being worked on. Two of the wheels look like they had slid around face down and the others looked like something hard had scrapped against them putting a few deep grooves in them. This might indicate that the pallet broke and I'm afraid to see the other parts, if I ever see them again.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? I think this is out of character for a company like UPS and I'm very disappointed. My car is my baby, (other than my wife and children of course) and to have my parts returned in this condition is ridiculous. If anyone has lived through this and could share their story, please do. I'm looking for some suggestions or tips for dealing with UPS at this point. Also, if anyone would have pictures of the pallet of parts or a list of what is removed during a 40th Anniversary upgrade, I would appreciate your help. All I know is that I'm missing over 25 parts.

Whatever you do don't throw any packing material out. Even if its only stretch wrap, save it. Luckily the UPS driver should be able to confirm that he only delivered four wheels.

I would contact SAI again and ask them for a list of what was shipped and what the total shipping weight was. Once you have that info contact UPS again and update or start your claim.

UPS like other shipping companies will work with you as long as you are persistant.

Good luck

Steve

GT,

Unfortunately, this has been a problem with several conversions that I know of. It is in one of the threads and the biggest issue is everyone should call SAI and make arrangements for insurance when UPS picks up your parts, insist on it. This is most likely going to be a major hassle for you. I wish you the best of luck.

Yesterday, I was to receive a UPS delivery of all of my original parts from my GT 500 40th Anniversary conversion. But when it arrived, the only items I received was my 4 wheels. The truck driver told me that it was all he had and that the rest may be coming on another truck. So I called UPS and tried to get a number for the other truck. They told me that was the only number they had and it was everything that they picked up from SAI. So I contacted SAI to confirm everything was sent and Dave (in shipping) told me that all of my original parts were on the pallet, package properly, and shrink wrapped when it left. So I called UPS again to file a claim and they started with the whole "you signed the paper that you received everything and we can't help you" line. But after pushing the issue that I was told there would be another truck and how the wheels weren't even package in the same manner that SAI had described, they told me the pallet may have broken and that they would put out a locater to try and find the missing parts. So I am now in the process of waiting to hear a response from UPS. However,when my wife and I walked by the stack of tires in my garage today, she pointed out to me how the top one was now scuffed. After examining all my wheels, I found that every one of them had been damaged in one way or another. This is very disappointing to me because of how well I took care of my car. When it left my home for SAI it had 3 SMALL paint dings on the bumper and the front plastic fascia had some scratches underneath from an uneven driveway leaving a car show. That's it! If there was anything else I would have known. I always went over the car very well when cleaning it. The damage to the wheels, at least to me, does not look like something that would have happened in a garage while being worked on. Two of the wheels look like they had slid around face down and the others looked like something hard had scrapped against them putting a few deep grooves in them. This might indicate that the pallet broke and I'm afraid to see the other parts, if I ever see them again.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? I think this is out of character for a company like UPS and I'm very disappointed. My car is my baby, (other than my wife and children of course) and to have my parts returned in this condition is ridiculous. If anyone has lived through this and could share their story, please do. I'm looking for some suggestions or tips for dealing with UPS at this point. Also, if anyone would have pictures of the pallet of parts or a list of what is removed during a 40th Anniversary upgrade, I would appreciate your help. All I know is that I'm missing over 25 parts.

I recommend you take pictures of everything that is damaged as soon as possible with a date stamp on the pic's. To bad they have to be idiots about the delivery, but guess it's true, hard to find good help nowdays or anyone that wants to do their job right. They are out there but far and few. Good luck, hope you can get things ironed out.

Azbud

GT,

Unfortunately, this has been a problem with several conversions that I know of. It is in one of the threads and the biggest issue is everyone should call SAI and make arrangements for insurance when UPS picks up your parts, insist on it. This is most likely going to be a major hassle for you. I wish you the best of luck.

SAI doesn't put insurance on it? I never questioned it because I figured it was understood that something like that would be. That kind of puts some of the blame on SAI, doesn't it? I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt as much as possible because of all they do for us the fans and what they have done to help me through out the conversion. Adrienne is right now trying to get me a list of all the shipped parts, and I have the weight, so as soon as I get the list, I'm going to update my claim. Does anyone know if there's someone at SAI I could talk to, who would have some pull at UPS or would be willing to call and push the issue? With me being a small one time customer, I see UPS being a LOT more helpful to a large company who sends them a lot of money quite frequently.

I only received back my exhaust, suspension parts and filler caps .... the original wheels and tires are still MIA....all since November last year.....and I have had no luck whatsover getting satisfaction from SAI or UPS....Good luck with your expereince...but don't hold your breath!!

Sorry to hear about your problems and I hope somebody corrects them for you.

I for one am very happy that I haven't done any business with SAI. All you see on here is problem after problem after problem.

I'd go out of business fast if I took care of customers the way they seem to.

Very discouraging.

Guess someone wants to mod the UPS truck...

Hope You all get Your parts.

I'd say send a PM directly to Amy, President of SAI. Bet she'll respond in a timely manner. Maybe she can do something about the UPS issue too.

Good Luck,

Keith

One thing I can say is I will never use U.P.S agaun either I`am Unlucky but have had nothing but problems when I have used U.P.S . Hope you can get it staightened out. I think that Iwould suggest SAI should take pictures of the parts that come off each owners car & one of the shipping skid for not only their customers sake but also theirs.

I've had mixed results with UPS. Their customer service reps are usually arrogant. IMHO. If SAI is going to use UPS, it is their obligation to package the parts so that the handlers at the shipping company can't easily damage them. If UPS gets parts that are not packaged properly, they should refuse to accept them.

I only received back my exhaust, suspension parts and filler caps .... the original wheels and tires are still MIA....all since November last year.....and I have had no luck whatsover getting satisfaction from SAI or UPS....Good luck with your expereince...but don't hold your breath!!

One thing I just found out today is that UPS insures your shipment automatically for $25 per pound. Now I'm trying to get a list of all the parts returned for a coupe with the brake system option. As soon as I get that and their values I play on pushing UPS on their policies. This locater crap doesn't cut it.

Sounds to me like there is a problem with SAI. First of all if that many people are having problems with the pallet breaking or missing parts, it wasn't packaged correctly. Also, I think there are two different UPS divisions. One is UPS Freight and one is the brown truck we all know. I have never seen the UPS man deliver a pallet as he has no way to get it off the truck. If SAI is sending back a pallet of merchandise, they should have a packing slip indicating how many pieces are on the pallet so that this problem won't happen. Take a good look at the freight bill you signed and see how many pounds it was as well as any other information. GOOD LUCK!!

I just got my car back from SAI this last Wednesday and instead of UPS I arranged for the driver of the car carrier, Gran Tourismo, to bring the parts back with him. I talked to the driver directly and paid him an additional $100. They took everything off the pallet and loaded onto the carrier. Worked out perfectly and got everything back in original condition. EXCEPT FOR MY CAR WHICH HAD A SCRATCH IN THE FASCIA!!! :banghead: Oh well, beggers can't be choosers!

Sounds to me like there is a problem with SAI. First of all if that many people are having problems with the pallet breaking or missing parts, it wasn't packaged correctly. Also, I think there are two different UPS divisions. One is UPS Freight and one is the brown truck we all know. I have never seen the UPS man deliver a pallet as he has no way to get it off the truck. If SAI is sending back a pallet of merchandise, they should have a packing slip indicating how many pieces are on the pallet so that this problem won't happen. Take a good look at the freight bill you signed and see how many pounds it was as well as any other information. GOOD LUCK!!

I really don't think the problem is at SAI. I picked up my parts at the factory. They were shrink wrapped on the pallet just like everyone is getting. They are secure. It should make it with no problem unless someone is deliberately tampering with the pallets somewhere down the line.

One thing I just found out today is that UPS insures your shipment automatically for $25 per pound. Now I'm trying to get a list of all the parts returned for a coupe with the brake system option. As soon as I get that and their values I play on pushing UPS on their policies. This locater crap doesn't cut it.

If I had known this, I would have shipped by UPS and maybe they would have lost the whole order. I am selling my stuff and getting about $2.00 a lb when it is all over.

UPS sucks. I have literally had thousands of dollars worth of damage including a $7,000 piece of glass art that was in pieces by the time it arrived. They blamed it on packing....the same packing that somehow made it from friggin ITALY to my house with no problems, but they couldn't ship it across three states. It was a monumental pain in the ass but I finally got a settlement. I bought the extra insurance.

I can site a dozen other examples.

Use Fed Ex or the USPS.

UPS sucks.

Did I mention that UPS sucks?

bj

UPS sucks. I have literally had thousands of dollars worth of damage including a $7,000 piece of glass art that was in pieces by the time it arrived. They blamed it on packing....the same packing that somehow made it from friggin ITALY to my house with no problems, but they couldn't ship it across three states. It was a monumental pain in the ass but I finally got a settlement. I bought the extra insurance.

Use Fed Ex or the USPS.

UPS sucks.

bj

How do you really feel? :hysterical:

Use Fed Ex or the USPS.

UPS sucks.

bj

+1. I can't stand UPS! I can pretty much guarantee anything sent to me that is 25+ pounds WILL BE DAMAGED by UPS. It does not matter if it is shipped to my home or my office, they WILL damage it. I am to the point I request vendors send packages by USPS or FedEx Ground.

I really don't think the problem is at SAI. I picked up my parts at the factory. They were shrink wrapped on the pallet just like everyone is getting. They are secure. It should make it with no problem unless someone is deliberately tampering with the pallets somewhere down the line.

If somebody thinks that shrink wrap alone will protect a pallet full of parts, they may be in for a disappiontment.

If somebody thinks that shrink wrap alone will protect a pallet full of parts, they may be in for a disappiontment.

Very true statement. I can't remember, but I think the pallet and boxes may be banded as well as wrapped, but your point is well taken. The parts could be placed in wooden crates for considerably greater cost to both the shipping and packing. I believe a bigger issue is that Ali Baba and the 40 thieves work in the distribution line before the delivery reaches its intended victim, I mean customer. I suspect this is going to continue to be an issue with some.

Very true statement. I can't remember, but I think the pallet and boxes may be banded as well as wrapped, but your point is well taken. The parts could be placed in wooden crates for considerably greater cost to both the shipping and packing. I believe a bigger issue is that Ali Baba and the 40 thieves work in the distribution line before the delivery reaches its intended victim, I mean customer. I suspect this is going to continue to be an issue with some.

You paid SAI to do the conversion and return the parts. SAI contracted UPS for the delivery. If you did not receive the parts you paid for, contact SAI. The claim for any missing parts is thiers to make. If they do not ship you what you have paid for, and you cannot resolve it with SAI, contact your credit card company. The fact that UPS lost or damaged the shipment is SAI's problem, the shipper is THIER contractor in this instance not yours. If they did not properly package or insure the contents, it is thier problem. I understand working with UPS to investigate the claim but this is not YOUR loss

Its very simple, you paid and did not receive what was contracted for. SAI will learn to properly package and ship or continue the losses.

I have shipped complete engines before. I wouldn't simply bolt them to a pallet and shrink wrap them. I built a wooden box around them. UPS, or any shipper, is probably going to stack pallets or boxes on top on top of whatever you ship. If SAI has many similar conversion items to ship, they could create a standardized pallet-crate.

I have attached a list of parts and prices that I think should have been returned. If you see anything that is wrong please let me know. The number of parts and prices for the stripes I think is wrong. I don't know if they even return them, but I just went off a list on a Ford Parts Site.

OriginalParts.doc

OriginalParts.doc

I just got my take off parts back and they came UPS shrink wrapped and secure. But when I opened the boxes, there was consideable damage:

The rocker panels/ splitter were in the same box as the old exhaust and are scratched and dented.

The two top wheels were heavily scratched and dented. BTW they were perfect when they left here!!

I will post more when I find it!

post-12950-1207694031_thumb.jpg

post-12950-1207693992_thumb.jpg

It

post-12950-1207693992_thumb.jpg

post-12950-1207694031_thumb.jpg

UPS has a terrible reputation recently and it is apparent that they have a bunch of disgruntled employees trying to sabotage the companies name.

Example: I am a guitarist and regularly visit many of the music forums and I can't tell you how many stories I've read lately about brand new electric (and acoustic) guitars and amplifiers which were delivered by UPS and arrived COMPLETELY DESTROYED!

Some of them were obviously run over by a forklift or a large truck and were completely smashed and broken into pieces. These were instruments which were shipped in a hardshell "flight case" and then placed into a large cardboard box with foam padding for extra protection.... but nothing will protect something from being run over by a forklift or truck!

The balls of UPS to actually try to deliver something like this and pass it off as "you accpeted it, or it must have been damaged prior to our taking custody of it" etc. etc. etc.

They ALWAYS try to weasel out of paying the insurance claim and then you have to jump through 10,000 hoops just to see any form of reimbersement if ever (let alone any sympathy whatsoever). What makes it hard too is that the person sending the item has to make the initial damage/,issing claim, not the person receiving the destroyed or incomplete shipment.

All I can say is I hope they go the way of Aloha Airlines.... EVERYTHING GOES FULL CIRCLE EVENTUALLY!

UPS doesn't seem to give a hoot about all of this and they don't even seem to be the least bit in touch with their employees and some of their bold and brazen criminal activities.

I've said this before but I'll say it again. Work with your car carrier!!! In most instances, as mine, a couple hundred dollars in the driver's hand will ensure your parts get to you with the car AND UNHARMED!!!!

+1, that is what I will do for my SS...Eliminates headaches.....

Guest markham51

Point taken.

It is probably best to arrange for more careful handling if you really care about getting everything back in pristine condition. Failing that, insure, insure insure.

Thanks for the headsup, I hope your missing parts make it. Now I'm going to have my parts picked up by Atlas Van Lines or by Exotic Car Transport depending on how I get my car home.

Hey Tasca, is my SS ready yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I also experienced problems with the return of my parts. Frankly, the issue is not or was not with UPS. They are only the transporter of goods prepared and packaged by SAI. The fact is when I went to UPS to pick up my reported parts, they were not from my car. While at UPS, I called Gary Patterson, took pictures, and had the UPS manager speak to Gary while standing at the loading dock. The parts were returned. No replies or responses from anyone at SAI to find out status. A few weeks later, another pallet of parts just showed up. Again, after careful inspection, these parts were in much better shape than the 1st set, but still not my parts. How would I know that? Because my 2007 GT500 that received the 40th package was drop shipped directly to SAI, and it had essentially zero miles on it at the time of the conversion. Did you know that each of the wheels has a date code stamp on the inside hub? There are also manufacturing codes that allow an informed user to determine when the wheels were produced. I don't even think SAI realized this when they started returning parts to people. Based on my experience, their tact has been to totally ignore these issues and then they fail to respond in any reasonable manner. Fortunately, I took pictures of the 1st delivery with my cell phone, and used my high resolution digital camera when the second shipment arrived.

My issues occurred in October of 2007, and they were provided with technical suggestions as to how to ensure people got their original parts back. It is unfortunate to hear that after 5 months, people seem to be experiencing the same problems. Galpin Auto Sports informed me that they mark and box all original parts as they actually remove them from a customer's car so that these types of issues don't occur.

My recommendation is to take a camera with you and document what you see and inspect at the UPS loading dock. Unfortunately, once your parts have been shipped to someone else, you can never get them back.

Archived