TEAM SHELBY FORUM

LOJACK

vbalouzian

I just had the LOJACK installed on the gt500.

I asked him if the gt500 are popular, hes response.

Any car with a supercharger is a prime suspect for thievery.

the take the engine and the supercharge and the rest are parts at a local junk yard.

I asked him if it was easy to steal, he said he can have this car interior in 15 seconds and sure enough he started popping op panels, He called it "these are LEGO cars'.

don't feel bad he said he does most of the bently's and the Ferrari's over at a prominent dealer and he said those cars are no different.

so just a word of caution where you take your car and keep an eye on that supercharger. :redcard::redcard:

So, what does Lojack run these days including installation?

I paid around $936 for LoJack with Early Warning System (lifetime subscription) from the Ford dealer. Probably could get a better deal but I did not shop around.

I recommend it because the car cannot be actually replaced because they aren't making any more (1 of 2300 2008 SGT) and the sentimental value...

With todays technology i would think twice about giving someone bad out there a dead accurate GPS location of my car so it will be more vulnerable to professional criminals to steel it, if they can hack the security system they can pin point my car and they can cripple that device. So the question is do i need that increased risk and exposure for the limited return?

Am quoting their fine print from their website:

http://lojack.com/

"LoJack is a vehicle theft recovery system that helps combat the significant problem of vehicle and motorcycle theft. While the typical theft prevention device, vehicle security system, car alarm, or motorcycle alarm offers little protection against professional thieves, LoJack enables law enforcement agencies to track and recover stolen vehicles, often within a few hours. LoJack is available for personal auto and motorcycle theft recovery, as well as for commercial tracking and commercial recovery. Because LoJack frequently enables quick commercial vehicle recovery and personal vehicle recovery, theft of a vehicle costs the consumer or business far less in time and money."

They'ld have to get past my dogs and my guns to get to the car. Need to post a sign of the dogs by the garage that says "I can make it to the fence in 2.9 seconds..Can you?

Lojack is a good thing tho.

With todays technology i would think twice about giving someone bad out there a dead accurate GPS location of my car so it will be more vulnerable to professional criminals to steel it, if they can hack the security system they can pin point my car and they can cripple that device. So the question is do i need that increased risk and exposure for the limited return?

Am quoting their fine print from their website:

http://lojack.com/

"LoJack is a vehicle theft recovery system that helps combat the significant problem of vehicle and motorcycle theft. While the typical theft prevention device, vehicle security system, car alarm, or motorcycle alarm offers little protection against professional thieves, LoJack enables law enforcement agencies to track and recover stolen vehicles, often within a few hours. LoJack is available for personal auto and motorcycle theft recovery, as well as for commercial tracking and commercial recovery. Because LoJack frequently enables quick commercial vehicle recovery and personal vehicle recovery, theft of a vehicle costs the consumer or business far less in time and money."

Friend, I am a retired LEO from So/Cal< 34yrs. Now, I am the Law Enforcement Liaison for LoJack in the Bay Area. Just to get the record straight, LoJack is Not GPS based. There is no need to worry about anyone having a location "my" car. The system Only goes active when it is reported stolen to law enforcement and is entered into the states computer. The LoJack installed on your car is passive and NOT sending anything until it is activated. Then it can be tracked by police and no on else. BTW, my baby has LoJack.

I have it in all my cars and I sleep a wee bit better at night knowing that if the worst case senario happens, I still have one additional chance to get my properity back.

There was a news story here in Los Angeles several years ago where the L.A.P.D. was notified that a Lo Jack equipped car had been stolen. The owner was aparantly out of town and came home after 3 days to find that his brand new Range Rover has been taken out of his garage.

L.A.P.D activated the car's Lo Jack system and tracked it's beacon to a position that was 18 miles off shore of the Los Angeles Harbor. They notified the Coast Guard who later boarded a cargo ship that was headed to Columbia, and not only did they find the stolen Range Rover sitting in a cargo container, they also found 35 other stolen cars that were being shipped out of the country.

I believe in the system and glad that I have it.

I have it in all my cars and I sleep a wee bit better at night knowing that if the worst case senario happens, I still have one additional chance to get my properity back.

There was a news story here in Los Angeles several years ago where the L.A.P.D. was notified that a Lo Jack equipped car had been stolen. The owner was aparantly out of town and came home after 3 days to find that his brand new Range Rover has been taken out of his garage.

L.A.P.D activated the car's Lo Jack system and tracked it's beacon to a position that was 18 miles off shore of the Los Angeles Harbor. They notified the Coast Guard who later boarded a cargo ship that was headed to Columbia, and not only did they find the stolen Range Rover sitting in a cargo container, they also found 35 other stolen cars that were being shipped out of the country.

I have one on my Shelby and one in our family car (to protect our son). It may be worth more in a large urban area like Los Angeles. Where there are literally thousands of Police cars and scores of Police helicopters that are equipped with LOJACK tracking systems.

Friend, I am a retired LEO from So/Cal< 34yrs. Now, I am the Law Enforcement Liaison for LoJack in the Bay Area. Just to get the record straight, LoJack is Not GPS based. There is no need to worry about anyone having a location "my" car. The system Only goes active when it is reported stolen to law enforcement and is entered into the states computer. The LoJack installed on your car is passive and NOT sending anything until it is activated. Then it can be tracked by police and no on else. BTW, my baby has LoJack.

Thx for the explanation....that changes the way i think of it ...I will consider it for sure at the earliest opportunity.

They'ld have to get past my dogs and my guns to get to the car. Need to post a sign of the dogs by the garage that says "I can make it to the fence in 2.9 seconds..Can you?

Lojack is a good thing tho.

Do your dogs shoot the guns when you are not home?

I was told from dealer there's no way they can steal car without the keys, other than towing or flatbed. I was quoted $795 for lojack with the early monitoring system installed at my home.

I am thinking of installing a power kill swich so it cant be stolen even with the keys.................

Wow, reminds me of the "Gone in 60 Seconds" movie..................

I am thinking of installing a power kill swich so it cant be stolen even with the keys.................

LOJACK is a Class IV theft deterrent device (the highest class I think) & the Ravelco is Class III device.

The Ravelco is wired into everything involved in starting the engine. Without the 'plug' all you get is accessory power.

http://ravelco.com/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LoJac require a tracking device to be installed in the patrol cars to be effective? Or do they simply install a tracking device at GHQ and dispatch the cars from there? I don't know of any law enforcement agencies here in Southwest Missouri that use LoJack, so it's use may be limited to larger metropolitan areas.

BTW, I use the Vandal Alert system on my Marauder. With this system, the vehicle CANNOT be started without using the remote or replacing the ignition circuit relay. IMHO, a very good system for the money. I use it, always apply my e-brake, and turn the wheels full lock. It's impossible to start, and difficult to tow or even winch up onto a flat bed. Maybe a potential thief will decide it's too much work and look elsewhere.

The tracking systems are installed in police cars and police helicopters, if your in a large city. LOJACK may not be worth it if you live in a small area. Unless you think somebody who steals your car may take it to an urban are to do whatever with it. Contact your local department and state department and ask them if they have it. I fly helicopters in Los Angeles. On any even given day the law enforcement helicopters are asking each other about LOJACK # XXXXX. About half the time the response is recovered/located. This happens several times a day.

Archived