TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SuperSnake Drivability

Michael / Son of GT

Might I suggest that you guys, and others when you get your Snakes back, post your impressions in this topic, or one like it? The pictures are all great, but many including myself would like to get impressions of how each car drives. While each you can't directly compare one to the other, maybe when you post your feelings on something (like harshness), the other could chime in on their experience.

After some of Son of GT's posts, I have to wonder if 605HP isn't enough, even for the coupe. Still thinking 725, though.Thanks for sharing, guys! :superhero:

There might be benefit in making such a topic a Sticky, so others will use it when the time comes.

Remember that 605 & 725 are for ratings at the flywheel, not the rear wheels

I know, but there's still a significant power difference at the wheels. But there's more to it, as the S/C's may feel different, and there are suspension choices. When 605HP coupes on on the road, they might give different impressions from the convertibles.

I realize it may be tough to tell, with different drivers and all, but I'd be interested in what they think.

I'm fortunate in that I expect to SS both my cars, one at 605 and the the coupe at 725, but it's going to be a while until they get to me. I'm unfortunate in that I'm going to have to give one of them up, as I can't really expect to keep them both. That's why I'm doing this, so I make sure that I keep the one best suited for me.

And someone local may be interested in buying my 'vert now, so if I sell, I have the same tough choice as everyone else: 605 or 725?

I got to drive the car alittle more today.

Some of the things with the 725HP. Yesterday and today when I drove the car it kept making me look like I dont know how to shift gears. The car breaks lose in first, then I would shift into second and it started bucking like some kid who had never driven a manual. Alot of guys on here with the high HP might already know this, but its the TC kicking in. Car drives MUCH better with the TC OFF, but be careful she is a BEAST. I havent been on a long trip to tell you about the HARHNESS, but riding thru town seems to be a fairly nice ride. The big tires pick up alot of small rocks and you car here them bouncing off the car when your coasting thru parking lots.

This morning when I slowed down and turned onto a different road the car seemed to kinda Hesitate. Thats not really what it is but kinda feels like it. The best way to describe what it was doing is this: You know when they are trying to stage race horses and they are ready to run and the other horses are holding them back. The race horse is like "Let me go, I got to RUN" Thats what it feels like. I think with the new gearing that you just have to keep the RPM alittle higher to make the car HAPPY! I hope that makes sense. Its not the car as much as the driver. I just have to learn to keep the RPM where she like them, not where Im use to having them.

I think this car is very STREETABLE when I learn its LIKES AND DISLIKES! I hope Im making yall understand. Im not an english major and I have a hard time expressing in word what I want to say!

I have not driven the 605HP, but I so far IM VERY HAPPY and think it will only get better as me and the SS learn each other.

I hope this helps alittle Vogan

michael morris

Some of the things with the 725HP. Yesterday and today when I drove the car it kept making me look like I dont know how to shift gears. The car breaks lose in first, then I would shift into second and it started bucking like some kid who had never driven a manual. Alot of guys on here with the high HP might already know this, but its the TC kicking in. Car drives MUCH better with the TC OFF, but be careful she is a BEAST. I havent been on a long trip to tell you about the HARHNESS, but riding thru town seems to be a fairly nice ride. The big tires pick up alot of small rocks and you car here them bouncing off the car when your coasting thru parking lots.

This morning when I slowed down and turned onto a different road the car seemed to kinda Hesitate. Thats not really what it is but kinda feels like it. The best way to describe what it was doing is this: You know when they are trying to stage race horses and they are ready to run and the other horses are holding them back. The race horse is like "Let me go, I got to RUN" Thats what it feels like. I think with the new gearing that you just have to keep the RPM alittle higher to make the car HAPPY! I hope that makes sense. Its not the car as much as the driver. I just have to learn to keep the RPM where she like them, not where Im use to having them.

I think this car is very STREETABLE when I learn its LIKES AND DISLIKES! I hope Im making yall understand. Im not an english major and I have a hard time expressing in word what I want to say!

I have not driven the 605HP, but I so far IM VERY HAPPY and think it will only get better as me and the SS learn each other.

I hope this helps alittle Vogan

michael morris

MM-

I know you are looking for a louder muffler, but how does it sound? Is there any drone?

Also, have you noticed any wheel hop?

Thanks for all the pictures and reports. If I lived in Georgia I would love to come meet you and take a gander at that beast!

JW

MM-

I know you are looking for a louder muffler, but how does it sound? Is there any drone?

Also, have you noticed any wheel hop?

Thanks for all the pictures and reports. If I lived in Georgia I would love to come meet you and take a gander at that beast!

JW

Im going to try and post a video of the mufflers. Im still working on that. Hope to have it today for yall.

I havent seen any wheel hop.

The exhaust sounds OK, but not what I want it to sound like

michael morris

I hope this helps alittle Vogon

michael morris

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! And now Son of GT has a baseline for how his car behaves in similar situations. This could work out great for us bystanders (for now).

I had a couple of motorcycles like that, they didn't like grunting along at low RPM's, as they just bogged down and felt like they would stall. "Streetable" is the operative word; for anyone considering commuting on a semi-regular basis, just because they can't leave it at home in the garage, your info is huge. If it always feels hesitant, the drive in the city will be painful.

Mike,

Just take her to the track and hold on, she'll tell you what to do. This way you can realize what she has to offer and how to handle her. Also you won't get the "Poleaze" attention and be worrying about who is around. Besides it gives you some time to get to know your new BABY.

Beers!

Mike,

Just take her to the track and hold on, she'll tell you what to do. This way you can realize what she has to offer and how to handle her. Also you won't get the "Poleaze" attention and be worrying about who is around. Besides it gives you some time to get to know your new BABY.

Beers!

Spoken like a true hoser... Oops, I mean, Canadian! Beers... :hysterical: :beerchug:

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! And now Son of GT has a baseline for how his car behaves in similar situations. This could work out great for us bystanders (for now).

I had a couple of motorcycles like that, they didn't like grunting along at low RPM's, as they just bogged down and felt like they would stall. "Streetable" is the operative word; for anyone considering commuting on a semi-regular basis, just because they can't leave it at home in the garage, your info is huge. If it always feels hesitant, the drive in the city will be painful.

I still the car is VERY streetable, just has to be driven differently. If it was the only car I had to drive it wouldnt bother me driving it everyday.

I live in a small town so I really can take it anywhere and TRY HER OUT, but Bud has posted and he told me to give it a few miles before I really work her hard.

I aint scared of not police :hysterical::hysterical3::hysterical: (I just kidding if any local guys are on here :hysterical: )

michael morris

My 40th Anniversary is SS'ed exactly as Michael's SS, i.e., KB, 3.73, breaks, quick shift, Eibach and exhaust. The first thing I did was take the exhaust off and put my FRPP 5GT's back on. It now sounds the way it should. I would encourage all that are not satisfied to let SAI know that the Borla that they are installing is not what most 725 HP guys are going to want. I hated to break the package, but the Borla's were just not what I wanted or expected. The 3.73 gears essentially bypass the infamous 5GT drone.

The ride is stiffer and louder (road and tire noice) than stock. Very liveable, but it's not your mother's mustang. At first I thought my wife's BMW Z4 was stiffer, but after several hundred miles, I've decided the Shelby wins on stiffness. I have added the Dynamat Extreme soundproofing (another thread in the Mods) and now it is very good with road noise and the stereo is killer. It will add 70 or 80 lbs for a complete job, but there is plenty of power to offset the added weight.

Michael is also spot on about driving differently. The bucking is related to the TC. Speaking with KB on another issue, the tec mentioned that when you get on it, the TC should be off. It has something to do with the fuel leaning out and it could be problems for your engine.

You cannot keep the tires hooked up in 1st, 2nd, and most of 3rd at any speed if you decide to jump on it. 275's are just to skinny with this much power and torque with street tires. If you check the archives, this was a major issue from members during development stages. They were right. I am waiting for the reports to come in on the 305's, as that will be a priority if it works with the Eibach. For me, that will mean either widening my existing wheels or buying another set of wheels for the rear and widening them to 10.5 or changing rims, which is not an option. I wanted chrome razors, one of the reasons for not going SS. (I hate to keep breaking up the package) I've dynoed with 17.5 lbs of boost. There is no way I could keep the car on the road if I kicked in 17.5 lbs. I think someone at Tasca mentioned that the 305's will fit on the SS wheel.

Now, to be fair, this combination is awesome. With each day, I learn more and more on what to do and what not to do. In 4th gear at 75 mph, you can still get pinned to the back of the seat. Without putting your foot to the floor, you can still pull away from most anything on 4 wheels. If we can get the tires to stick, you will see most everybody in your rear view mirror.

Would I do this combination again. The long answer is yes. The short answer is :-)

Well I have been driving my 725 cpe for a week. I opted for the upgraded suspension and drove it about 100 miles on California freeways and thought the ride comfort was great. The car has tremendous power and torque. It is just a large grinning 1 and second gear burn out type of car. It is very very fast yet i drove it in LA traffic. The short shifter feels great and the breaks are more than the tires can handle. I am going to quickly burn thru these tires and put some r compound tires for more grip. The car handles corners like a mustang, what can I say. It is 1000 times better than stock but I race porsches and it is obviously very different. The soound in my oppinion is perfect, not droning but deep and the whine of the supercharger just makes me smile. I have had high horsepower mustangs but this is the most fun I have ever had in one. I would say that I am an experienced driver on and off the track and would consider this car a lot to handle with this much power.

Well I have been driving my 725 cpe for a week. I opted for the upgraded suspension and drove it about 100 miles on California freeways and thought the ride comfort was great. The car has tremendous power and torque. It is just a large grinning 1 and second gear burn out type of car. It is very very fast yet i drove it in LA traffic. The short shifter feels great and the breaks are more than the tires can handle. I am going to quickly burn thru these tires and put some r compound tires for more grip. The car handles corners like a mustang, what can I say. It is 1000 times better than stock but I race porsches and it is obviously very different. The soound in my oppinion is perfect, not droning but deep and the whine of the supercharger just makes me smile. I have had high horsepower mustangs but this is the most fun I have ever had in one. I would say that I am an experienced driver on and off the track and would consider this car a lot to handle with this much power.

Breaking traction is a concern. I don't race, but on the highway, if you nail it too soon or too much when pulling out to pass, for instance, I can envision the car going sideways in a hurry. Especially since the centre of the road is usually dirty and slippery. I will definitely have to re-learn some driving skills.

BTW, are you the owner of the Alloy SS that was posted a few days ago?

Okay, I just read another thread, and you are the Alloy owner. Thanks for letting the pictures get posted, it looks great! They all do!

Im sorry Roger, everytime I ask you a question on another post I read the answer somewhere else :banghead: I guess I will start reading thru these posts before I start asking questions :hysterical:

I was asking about driving for LV to LA in the other thread and you answered it here.

michael morris

Here is something funny. My wife, who has owned several big block mustle cars, drove the car to the market and came home laughing. She said she was pulling out of our community and got sideways right away(yes she knows how to control it and is the reason I married her) and she said this car is scared me. She forgot how different it is to drive a car like this vs the european sports cars. Time for some more driving schools and track time. HAHA. Point, yes you can drive it to the market but you may crack the eggs and spill the milk. HAHA

I will be more than happy to post my driving impressions of my car, but I need to take off for a couple of hours right now. Stay tuned to this forum and I'll get something posted later this afternoon or evening; Pacific time.

Here is something funny. My wife, who has owned several big block mustle cars, drove the car to the market and came home laughing. She said she was pulling out of our community and got sideways right away(yes she knows how to control it and is the reason I married her) and she said this car is scared me. She forgot how different it is to drive a car like this vs the european sports cars. Time for some more driving schools and track time. HAHA. Point, yes you can drive it to the market but you may crack the eggs and spill the milk. HAHA

Same with my wife Roger. She drove it and came back FLUSHED. Said it was the fastest car she has ever been in. I have had 4 corvettes over the last 4 years. I built her a 68 camaro with a HOT ROD 454 4 speed and the SS got her attention.

To me that say ALOT

michael morris

My impression of the 40th with the suspension upgrade and 605 hp......

1. On the freeway the ride is not too rough as long as the expansion joints are not too uneven. It does get a bit jumpy going over railroad tracks, that is the only time my teeth, and the car rattled!

2. The upgraded hp is fantastic. You can really feel the difference when you give it that little extra push getting onto the freeway.

This weekend I'll be taking it up to my cabin near Lake Arrowhead. I'll get a good feel for how it does on some pretty curvy narrow roads. B)

How does that relate to RWHP....I heard that to calculate HP at the flywheel it was RWHP X 118%

The reverse is if you know the flywheel number, estimate RWHP by multiplying by 85%.

So 605 flywheel is about 514 RWHP;

725 is about 616 at the wheels.

It's just an approximation...

Same with my wife Roger. She drove it and came back FLUSHED. Said it was the fastest car she has ever been in. I have had 4 corvettes over the last 4 years. I built her a 68 camaro with a HOT ROD 454 4 speed and the SS got her attention.

To me that say ALOT

michael morris

Your wife is named Roger? :hysterical3:

By the way her name is RALPH :hysterical::hysterical:

Just kidding, Now can we get back on TOPIC :hysterical:

I drove the SS about 30 miles today. Most of it Interstate. The car seems alittle louder the when it was a GT500. Most of the interstate was smooth so the rode GREAT. Right before I got to the off ramp the road was ALOT rougher and the car let me know it. If there are alot of cracks or rough road you REALLY feel it in the car. This is NOT a bad thing. I want a car to feel like a RACE CAR. I left the store, went 15 miles on the interstate, got off and picked my dad up, and drove home and NEVER got into the KB. Man it was boring :hysterical:

michael morris

I drove the SS about 30 miles today. Most of it Interstate. The car seems alittle louder the when it was a GT500. Most of the interstate was smooth so the rode GREAT. Right before I got to the off ramp the road was ALOT rougher and the car let me know it. If there are alot of cracks or rough road you REALLY feel it in the car. This is NOT a bad thing. I want a car to feel like a RACE CAR. I left the store, went 15 miles on the interstate, got off and picked my dad up, and drove home and NEVER got into the KB. Man it was boring :hysterical:

michael morris

Hey, MY name is Ralph. What's goin' on here??

Your dad probably never liked your lead foot when you were learning to drive his car. Am I right?

So when you say the car let you know that the road was rougher, did it still feel planted, or was there some hop?

Hey, MY name is Ralph. What's goin' on here??

Your dad probably never liked your lead foot when you were learning to drive his car. Am I right?

So when you say the car let you know that the road was rougher, did it still feel planted, or was there some hop?

Felt VERY planted. Didnt feel like it was HOPPING over the road at all. Im just trying to what Bud suggested and BREAK the car in correctly

My Grandfathers name was Ralph!

michael morris

michael morris

You didnt let Dad drive... Wife-OK, but not dad! Glad you're not my son.

You didnt let Dad drive... Wife-OK, but not dad! Glad you're not my son.

I drove the car the day it came in. Came right back and OFFERED him the KEYS. He didnt want to drive it. SO :P

I let him drive a Grand National that a bought a few years ago and it almost got away from him. It scared him pretty good. So now I dont think he wants to PLAY in my cars anymore.

michael morris

Archived