TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bent Axle Shaft

computermike

I have a 2007 shelby GT500. About a month ago I hit a curb driving on ice. Mechanic tells me right rear axle shaft is bent. They say part is unavailable through ford and I have to buy entire assebly. I have seen axle shaft on Ford racing for $140, but not sure if it is for GT500. An assembly is $1600-1800

I want to avoid buying entire new assembly if possible, but as long as I am replacing parts I would like to upgrade.

Any ideas or thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks,

Mike

Not 100% certain of the exact spline numbers, but there is a difference. If I recall correctly the MGT has 26 spline axle shafts and the GT500 has 32 spline shafts.

GT500 shafts are much beefer/heaver.

I believe that the FRPP axle shafts that you mentioned are the same shafts that are installed in the GT500's

What about all the axles that came out of the G.T Hertz & Shelby G.T they were sold off to some company , should be a few out there. Maybe SAI could help you.

Those are Mustang GT Axles and as stated in an above post, will not work.

David.

all mustang v8 2005+ axles are 31 spline.......Ford got smarter this time and upped from the old 28 spline. What I would do?? Pull both and now's a good time to order H/D 31 spline axles from companies like Strange Eng. or Marks and Williams and others. My guess $200-$300 each but well worth it.

Pull both and now's a good time to order H/D 31 spline axles from companies like Strange Eng. or Marks and Williams and others. My guess $200-$300 each but well worth it.

Ford should have done this from the Get Go since the cars have 500HP. Will the KR's have the same Axles or will it get beefed up?

David.

all mustang v8 2005+ axles are 31 spline.......Ford got smarter this time and upped from the old 28 spline. What I would do?? Pull both and now's a good time to order H/D 31 spline axles from companies like Strange Eng. or Marks and Williams and others. My guess $200-$300 each but well worth it.

+1, also the gt500 axles are hardened 31 spline so there different than Mustang GT 31 spline

I think that the Bullitt has the same rear assembly as the 500,Except for the 3:73 gears.There are larger bearings involved somewhere.Go aftermarket,WAYYYYYYYYYY cheaper than Ford parts most likely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread to clear any misinformation.

My 2010 GT500 has a bent axle and my dealer has ordered part number 5R3Z4234A for the right rear.

This is the *same part* as the GT's get. This is for a 2010, I didn't cross check the older cars. For 2010 at least, there is NO DIFFERENCE in the axle shafts from GT to GT500.

I just called SVT ( 1-800-FORD-SVT ) to triple check and they verified it is the same axle shaft as well.

Actual differences:

Setup specifications

High torque Pinion bearing on GT500

Carbon fiber clutchpacks on GT500

Everything else is the same.

Archived