TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Here - 2008 Shelby GT500

airforceus

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and just wanted to say hello. I took home my 2008 Torch Red/White Striped GT500 on 2/23/2008 (at MSRP). I previously had a 2007 Mustang GT and decided to take the step up rather than SC the 4.6.

For now, I'm bone stock but that will change within the next month or two. :happy feet:

It's still snowing here in Minnesota...just got 8 fresh inches....feels like driving the car is so far away still! :banghead:

I drove it home from the dealer straight to the garage and haven't been able to take it for a real drive yet. I babied it home the 35 miles or so since we still have sand/salt on the roads.

Hopefully the pic upload works...

post-19589-1206230752_thumb.jpg

post-19589-1206230752_thumb.jpg

Welcome. Try to stay sane while that beautiful machine is locked away. Why don't you break it in by joining us in Nags Head, NC April 18-20.

Thank you both for the welcome! If I was still on the East Coast - I'd be there. Used to live near Columbia, MD back in the USAF days.

My first question is probably going to be a recommendation on exhaust set-up. The stock is just too quiet and I'm looking for a meaner sound. I think I'll go with a cat-back or axle-back for now and then do headers down the road....

I've been thinking the FRPP Stingers/Borla Catback.....

Welcome....what part of MN? We also have a local SVT club located in Apple Valley...here's a link to our forum:

http://svtoatc.com/forums/

Madmax - I am in Lakeville! Owatonna not too far away....are you going to be in the AV Ford car show on 6/1?

I think I've heard of the club....probably from hanging out in the aftermarket shop at AV Ford so often!

Madmax - I am in Lakeville! Owatonna not too far away....are you going to be in the AV Ford car show on 6/1?

I think I've heard of the club....probably from hanging out in the aftermarket shop at AV Ford so often!

OK, the SVTOATC meets at AVF....right around the corner from you.

I will be there on 6/1, but we have a cruise to Saint Cloud on 5/16 (assuming it stops snowing by then).....a link to the FREE registration, BTW all the food is free!

http://svtoatc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=91755#post91755

OK, the SVTOATC meets at AVF....right around the corner from you.

I will be there on 6/1, but we have a cruise to Saint Cloud on 5/16 (assuming it stops snowing by then).....a link to the FREE registration, BTW all the food is free!

http://svtoatc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=91755#post91755

Looks like a good time! I will check out the other half's work schedule (nurse) and see if we can make it. I am technically in the shelby club but haven't been an active member as of yet. Are you in both clubs or SVTOATC??? I'm sure we will meet very soon when the snow stops...if it ever does.

Looks like a good time! I will check out the other half's work schedule (nurse) and see if we can make it. I am technically in the shelby club but haven't been an active member as of yet. Are you in both clubs or SVTOATC??? I'm sure we will meet very soon when the snow stops...if it ever does.

Haven't joined the Shelby Club as of yet....see you soon!

Thank you both for the welcome! If I was still on the East Coast - I'd be there. Used to live near Columbia, MD back in the USAF days.

My first question is probably going to be a recommendation on exhaust set-up. The stock is just too quiet and I'm looking for a meaner sound. I think I'll go with a cat-back or axle-back for now and then do headers down the road....

I've been thinking the FRPP Stingers/Borla Catback.....

Welcome aboard. Worry about the basics before pushing forward. Get that 500 miles in and buy yourself a case of the 5W-50 FULL SYNTHETIC, Motorcraft Q, type oil plus the Ford Racing's FR-1 (820S) high pressure, 50% increased flow of oil--oil filter. Although Ford sayes you can drive this engine hard out-of-the-box, I still drained the (6.5 qt pan) and ran a fresh clean stock of oil just because. Your old GT used premium synthetic, but the FULL SYNTH is all together different at about $ 8+ per bottle designed specifically for GT500 and Ford GT having that 4V head. Using it will keep your warranty solid. Learn how to drive with the TSC on and off. Break in that clutch just right. Remember FULLY depress that pedal. Listen to the snake....hiss. If you need to spend some $$$ because you just have too, get a NOAH car cover. Good investment, high quality kimberly clark soft. Go to the JAX WAX web site and buy a starter cleaning kit ($79.00) bucks, and learn how to wash you car right. Screen + bucket will ensure a scratch free car. I have a black Shelby, so far no wash scratches. By 1500 miles you should know your car well enough to bump it up another notch and by this time you'd need another oil change + a full inspection of your under carriage. When it up in the air, record all your numbers, photograph it, video, MPEG it on your cell, what ever you need to capture those number. Keep an eye on this site for bulletins (aka. Technical Service Bulletins TSB). I noticed the only troublesome spot were in the rear evap box and the "push" plastic clamps backing out. You can't miss it, two line run across close to your rear license plate. The rockers panels will loosen at the rear. General stuff if you push your car hard, high speeds, then check out the bottom as well as the top. Right around 2500 miles is when you'll be so use to your 500 hp that either a. enough, or b. would like a little more exhaust sound and some more kick in the pants. Ford Racing SVT FR-1 kit with mufflers, air intake and most importantly re-programmer for your computer will give you that extra...oh, yea feeling. Power ban parameters are closer to 4000 rpm (vs. the 5999 redline), come in fast and hard which requires you to be more alert on take off. The rest of the car is personal cosmetics fixes that many of us have done throughout the many posted threads. The first is usually the signed placard plate in between the center A/C outlet vents (aka registers) with the VIN stamped in red. Nice touch. The next is chrome, door sill inserts, or full sill replacements, and so on. Add a stand alone anti-theft tracking system that will notify you via your cell phone if someone is breaking into your car (Land Air Sea.com) Careful with the aftermarket mods that effect your warranty. I'm sure the Borlas, Bassani's, Steedas, EVO and on and on and on are all good products, and some are even used by Ford, but if you venture off on your lonesome and modify outside of the Blue Oval name, you could find yourself paying for repairs that would normally be covered by Ford. You could inadvertently relinquish your right and void that very important piece of paper. I too did what you did, GT traded in for GT500, moded up with Ford's Racing FR-1 kit (through the dealership) and all the while maintaining my warranty solid. I also had a MAF sensor go out and was replaced without question because I kept it Ford. Bottomline; enjoy your car in it's entirety....it's power, it looks, it mechanical coverage and heritage. HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Airborne

Hi airforceus.

I'm also in the Twin Cities - but on the north side of town.

My folks are in Apple Valley, though, so I'm in your neck of the woods often.

PM me your contact info (click my profile and hit "send message") - we should get together this spring.

Oh, and yes, snow sucks.

Joe

Welcome aboard. Worry about the basics before pushing forward. Get that 500 miles in and buy yourself a case of the 5W-50 FULL SYNTHETIC, Motorcraft Q, type oil plus the Ford Racing's FR-1 (820S) high pressure, 50% increased flow of oil--oil filter. Although Ford sayes you can drive this engine hard out-of-the-box, I still drained the (6.5 qt pan) and ran a fresh clean stock of oil just because. Your old GT used premium synthetic, but the FULL SYNTH is all together different at about $ 8+ per bottle designed specifically for GT500 and Ford GT having that 4V head. Using it will keep your warranty solid. Learn how to drive with the TSC on and off. Break in that clutch just right. Remember FULLY depress that pedal. Listen to the snake....hiss. If you need to spend some $$$ because you just have too, get a NOAH car cover. Good investment, high quality kimberly clark soft. Go to the JAX WAX web site and buy a starter cleaning kit ($79.00) bucks, and learn how to wash you car right. Screen + bucket will ensure a scratch free car. I have a black Shelby, so far no wash scratches. By 1500 miles you should know your car well enough to bump it up another notch and by this time you'd need another oil change + a full inspection of your under carriage. When it up in the air, record all your numbers, photograph it, video, MPEG it on your cell, what ever you need to capture those number. Keep an eye on this site for bulletins (aka. Technical Service Bulletins TSB). I noticed the only troublesome spot were in the rear evap box and the "push" plastic clamps backing out. You can't miss it, two line run across close to your rear license plate. The rockers panels will loosen at the rear. General stuff if you push your car hard, high speeds, then check out the bottom as well as the top. Right around 2500 miles is when you'll be so use to your 500 hp that either a. enough, or b. would like a little more exhaust sound and some more kick in the pants. Ford Racing SVT FR-1 kit with mufflers, air intake and most importantly re-programmer for your computer will give you that extra...oh, yea feeling. Power ban parameters are closer to 4000 rpm (vs. the 5999 redline), come in fast and hard which requires you to be more alert on take off. The rest of the car is personal cosmetics fixes that many of us have done throughout the many posted threads. The first is usually the signed placard plate in between the center A/C outlet vents (aka registers) with the VIN stamped in red. Nice touch. The next is chrome, door sill inserts, or full sill replacements, and so on. Add a stand alone anti-theft tracking system that will notify you via your cell phone if someone is breaking into your car (Land Air Sea.com) Careful with the aftermarket mods that effect your warranty. I'm sure the Borlas, Bassani's, Steedas, EVO and on and on and on are all good products, and some are even used by Ford, but if you venture off on your lonesome and modify outside of the Blue Oval name, you could find yourself paying for repairs that would normally be covered by Ford. You could inadvertently relinquish your right and void that very important piece of paper. I too did what you did, GT traded in for GT500, moded up with Ford's Racing FR-1 kit (through the dealership) and all the while maintaining my warranty solid. I also had a MAF sensor go out and was replaced without question because I kept it Ford. Bottomline; enjoy your car in it's entirety....it's power, it looks, it mechanical coverage and heritage. HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Airborne

Thanks Airborne....great advice for a new guy! That is a good idea to just enjoy the 500hp stock power for a while so I can really tell the difference when I do the CAI/tune power adders.

• 3 weeks later...

AirForceUS ~

Welcome to the club! Great choice of colors, I have the same. What did you do in the AF when you were in? Still serving here...22 years and counting, but it is keeping me from driving my car right now.

Airborne's run down is pretty spot on. I'd add read the owner's manual cover to cover. Good info in there.

My car is still stock and pretty much gonna stay that way.

Enjoy, be safe and drive a mile for me!

Keith

AirForceUS ~

Welcome to the club! Great choice of colors, I have the same. What did you do in the AF when you were in? Still serving here...22 years and counting, but it is keeping me from driving my car right now.

Airborne's run down is pretty spot on. I'd add read the owner's manual cover to cover. Good info in there.

My car is still stock and pretty much gonna stay that way.

Enjoy, be safe and drive a mile for me!

Keith

Hi Keith,

I was in the Intel field, but only 4 years in. Thanks for the welcome and hope you get back to US soil to enjoy the car soon!

Archived